Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #1

Need to wire in extension cord to rear ac

Ive got a 1989 Gulfstream on 30 amp. The rear ac is wired directly to the generator, there is no selector switch to switch between front and rear ac, The wires from the generator come up through the floor under the bed, theres a box that has 2 sets of romex, 1 I assume goes to the rear ac, the other im pretty sure goes to the middle vent on the coach to add a 3rd ac, since theres wiring there. They have connected both sets of romex to the generator, which doesn't really make sense since there wired to the 20 amp leg of the generator.
I need to find the easiest way to get shore power to the rear ac, Can I simply run a 10 gauge extension cord to the romex under the bed and plug that in to shore power? Or will that cause problems for the generator, of course I wouldn't be running the generator if I was plugged in.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #2

Yes, you can run an extension cord...but DON"T do it.

We do NOT want to be able to have the generator running and connected to shore power, that could kill a worker on the pole and fry the equipment.

You will also need to insure the new shore cord has a common safety ground with the primary one, and that when it is plugged into a service it is on a different circuit.

You should also avoid switching while operating due to differences in phasing that motors do not like, only switch when generator is not running to be more safe.

You will need to build a transfer switch to isolate them..

The simple part would be to get a double throw double pole switch, the center or common terminals go to the AC.

One set, of switched terminals goes to the generator, the other goes to the additional shore cord.

That is the simple way.

Ready for the harder install but automatic way?

A home made ATS! no smarts or fancy control...just simple ATS.

You will need to purchase from a local electrical or electronics supply a relay rated at 30 amps minimum on the contacts, double polarity and douple throw or position, it will be labeled as DPDT.

The coil rating needs to be 120 VAC

So DPDT 30 AMP contact 120 VAC Coil is what you ask for.

Can be a socketed type or not, be sure to get everything needed to install it.

They go for about $10.00 and up depending on your source, no, auto supply does not have them, neither does Radio Shack.

Next get a box that it will fit in along with the assorted wiring and hardware, standard outlet box works well.

Now some assumptions
You will have an understanding of connecting wires, color for color and dressing the wires etc.

You will insure the safety ground is intact and correct for your use.

I will advise how the power is connected and the system works, you will need to be sure you understand it and wire it correctly.

The Relay has terminals in pairs. 2 each for each position, one of each pair goes to each leg of the power cable.

There are 2 switches inside the relay, one for each side of the pair of connections.

This illistration shows a "pair" switches.

1in_______/ _______1out

2in_______/ _______2out

The same color goes on the same side on all connections.

So white would go on 1in and 1out, black would go on 2in and 2out

That helps reduce shorts.

So here we go.

Get the relay mounted into the box in such a manner to allow it to close and also have access for working on it.

Install the cable support hardware to secure the cables.

Locate where the box will go and drill all of the holes for the mounting screws.

You will need to insure the box if made out of metal is connected to the green safety ground, and also that all of the other bare wires and green wires are properly bonded together.

make certian that the connection is good and solid.

Next look clusely at the relay and the instruction sheet.

You want to look for indications as COIL, C, NC and NO

There should be 2 of each.

Now prepare all of your wires with the white and black as single wires long enough to do your work and the ends prepared to connect to the relay with lugs, loops or whatever it needs.

Connect as follows.
1. white and black wire from the AC go to the connections labeled as "C" or common.
2. white and black wires from the generator goto the connections labeled as "NC" or normally closed.
3. This one is a little more difficult, the wires from the shore cord will need small jumpers to connect to a second set of terminals.
4. white and black wires from the shore cord are connected DIRECTLY to the connections labeled as "NO" or normally open. The jumpers connect the cord also to the terminals labeled as "COIL"
5. doublecheck your green wires.
6. lay it on a piece of paper and test it out, read how it works below.
7. secure it in place, put the cover on, dress down all of the wires and test it one last time.

How it works.

If you generator is running the energy comes in on the NC (normally closed/connected to common) connections and leaves on the C (common) connections.

If you plug in the shore cord the energy comes in on the NO (normally open/not connected to anything yet) connections and stops there until the relay does its thing.

It also goes to the COIL which energizes the relay which flips the switch, changes the internal connectios, it breaks the connection from NC to C and makes the connectin crom C to NO so the shore is not connected to the AC.

It also disconnects the generator from the circuit.

If you do not understand this just wait for the others to comment, it will be made more clear, and please ask questions if you have them.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #3

I had a 1994 suncruiser 1 leg of the gen. went to the rear air I installed a double pole double throw switch with a 12 gauge drop cord rated for 20 amps worked great I could run both airs at the same time on campground power.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #4

TQ60
I also have a 30 amp coach and want to do this.
Let me add another monkey into this. If I have a power managment system where do I pick up the wires to my rear AC. After the breaker? Install my double throw there because a transfer switch wouldn't work in this situation for me as the breaker would still be hot. This would mean the only breaker would be on the shore pole. Am correct in my thinking?

Krazzykit
I am not trying to hijack your thread.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #5

I just found this

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/1/page/1.cfm
Old 04-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
Try this.
K.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 04-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #7

Hey Heater, thanks for reposting my solution to the air conditioner question. That worked really well for me, we used both airs a lot during our visits to Florida last summer.
Sold the old girl earlier this year to a lad from Lousiana, he thought that the ability to run both airs was a real plus.
Don't have that problem with the Expedition, it has the energy management system that alternates between the front and rear airs.

So as the "Author" I'll also post a link and will be available for questions if you have any.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to run two AC's with 30 Amp Service UPDATE UPDATE

Hope this helps or provides you some ideas.
Jim AKA "Chaffeekid"
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There used to be a company (Power Solutions RV) that made just what you need, alas no longer in business near as we can tell.

Here is what I'd do..

Locate the generator Juntcion box

Find the wires that go to the REAR air conditioner, disconnect them and route them to another junction box (New J-Box) Optional (I do recommend the option) make this box a "Breaker box" 20 amp breaker.

Get a 12GA extension cord (Sears, or K-mart make them with "lock on" outlets, but you can get one at Lowes or Home depot. Length.. As short as possible. (See below)

Cut it in half.. The outlet end goes to the Generator J-Box in place of the wires you just removed.

The plug end goes to the New Junction or breaker box.

The plug (and outlet) to a convienent weather protected place. where you can make and break connections.

Normal (Running off gen-set) plug the two halves into each other

Emergency (Say running an air compressor off the generator on the service side of the RV) unplug and plug compressor into outlet end of cord. (yes I have done this).

30 amp site: Unplug and plug the A/C into a 12ga cord to the 15/20 amp outlet on post.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid
Hey Heater, thanks for reposting my solution to the air conditioner question. That worked really well for me, we used both airs a lot during our visits to Florida last summer.
Sold the old girl earlier this year to a lad from Lousiana, he thought that the ability to run both airs was a real plus.
Don't have that problem with the Expedition, it has the energy management system that alternates between the front and rear airs.

So as the "Author" I'll also post a link and will be available for questions if you have any.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to run two AC's with 30 Amp Service UPDATE UPDATE

Hope this helps or provides you some ideas.
Jim AKA "Chaffeekid"
Chaffeekid

No problem. My coach has the EMS also but if we have both ac's on and the the wife is running the hair dryer it still turns one off. So I would like to figure out a way to do this modification to mine also.