Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #1

Need Winegard repairman-not replacement

We have a 3-yr. old Slimline SK-3005 and it has been diagnosed as needing a turret replacement. I called them and could get no testing info and was told (once again) that I had to send it to them and it could cost $1000 (their magic number). My gears look like new so it's no doubt some minor electrical glitch that has happened many times to others I've found out. I'm looking for an electrician repairman who can track down and fix my problem.

Upon start-up it tries to raise for a second and shuts down. You can keep trying and eventually you may get it up after hours-I don't really know. If we would have known Winegard's replacement policy, we never would have had Camping World install it. It's been up and down less than two dozen times since brand new.

Doug
CC Allure 430 Hood River #31125
aaamarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Can you manually help it up if someone hits the deploy switch? If it sometimes works, it may be hanging up and the sensor shuts it down thinking there is an obstruction causing it not to raise.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #3

I had to replace three of them. Found that the original install did not seal well to the roof, allowing moisture in, and corroding the electronics.

I did a reinstall, right down to the roof level, complete with a new mounting plate. The original mounting plate was not sealed to the roof very well. I took care to seal everything I could.

It is heavy and awkward to get on the roof, but its done now, and, “so far, so good!”

Looking inside, the electronics need a better defense against moisture; they should be sealed (my opinion).

It took me the best part of a dry afternoon. Hint, I used a short plastic ice scraper to get the old sealant off of the fiberglass roof.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ktnhog, having problems with my second SK-3005, first one failed and was replaced. I tried to stow the unit and got an "AZ Motor Stalled" message. Talked with Winegard tech support and tried to calibrate the unit with the user menu with no luck. Was told the "head" unit would have to be replaced. I have not tried to open up the roof unit since I have no instructions and do not know what problems I could create by just disassembling without understanding what I am doing. Any help or thoughts you have on the repair process would be helpful. I talked with tech support about getting a new unit and they said they are about to recall their new equivalent to the SK-3005 so I figure repairing mine is best. I expect the electronics are bad as you note since the unit seems to work fine mechanically. Any help you can give is appreciated.

Lew
Old 01-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
aaamarine: Depending on what you find out from the above posters......I might call a local RV sales and service outfit and find out if they sell and install Winegard antennae.

In not, do they recommend someone else?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #6

I don’t know if this will help or not. It has been about 6 months since I did the last replacement.

Other than the obvious issue of being on the roof and dealing with sealing the holes, replacement is pretty straightforward.

There is a mounting plate that actually screws to the roof. If you just change the turret, it screws to the base plate. (11 screws, I think they were about a ½ or maybe 5/16 inch hex if memory serves me). Open up the access to the wiring, 4 screws I think. You can unhook all of the wiring right there on the roof at the turret without too much problem. There was one wiring harness that was a little hard to release, but doable.

Have the dish removed from the arm. Then pick up the unit off of the baseplate and set it on the throw rug you placed up there, so you don’t damage the roof (also a lot easier on old knees.) You can see everything inside from there.

Mine didn’t have anything that appeared to be easily repaired. Motors and circuit boards, etc. If you knew what you were doing and had parts, you might be able to repair it, by replacing parts. I don’t think there is anything you could easily “fix.”

There is a clear plastic moisture barrier and a foam gasket between the base plate and the turret assembly. The gasket is hard to keep in place in any breeze…

The first two times I replaced mine, tech support said that I did not need to replace the roof plate. I thought that was good, since I would not have any new holes in the roof or disturb any sealant.

That didn’t work out though over time. The last time they sent me a “new” turret assembly, complete with an installed baseplate. This time I left all of this intact – one piece and essentially did a new install. I used lots of sealant under the base plate, and ran new wiring to the inside of the coach. It wasn’t, as hard as I envisioned, but if I had the option, I would have rather had someone else do the work under warranty.

I made numerous trips up and down off of the roof. I always forget a tool…

I used a 10ft stepladder up against the rear of my coach and accessed the roof ladder from it. Put a rug or something on the roof where you are working and set stuff down. The unit is very awkward to carry up a ladder as it moves in all directions.

The problems were a pain, and living where I have to do all of my own work was also an issue, but I have to say that the people I dealt with at Winegard were very helpful in sending out replacement units. If yours is out of warranty, you might ask tech support about a refurbished one, I think they might do that, but not sure.

When I asked about where to take it to have it repaired, they sent me a replacement unit.

I always keep my fingers crossed when powering the unit on or off!!!

Dan

Tags
replacement