Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #1

Need your thoughts on a Monaco La Palma 34 Pdd

Looking into a 2006 Monaco La Palma 34 PDD Need pros and cons. Has rsr frame
Unsure if there are air bags. Towing?
Big purchase. Just want to make a good choice.
Thank you in advance
Lonnie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loncox View Post
Thank you in advance
Lonnie
If it's a diesel then changes are it has air bags. If in good shape with new tires probably worth in the 45-55 range. Monaco coaches in that year were good quality coaches. Good luck.

gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loncox View Post

Thank you in advance

Lonnie

Here is the brochure:

http://www.monacocoach.com//library/...almadiesel.pdf

No air bags. It's a Roadmaster leaf spring chassis. Tow limit is 4,000 pounds. Cummins ISB diesel and Allison 1000 5 so transmission.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As you can see in my signature, we have a sister unit in a 2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer. We love the 34PDD floor plan and have yet to see a better floor plan in a similar size unit from any manufacturer. Our unit has the bedroom slide driven by an electric motor under the bed and the living area slide is hydraulic. I think in the previous years the slides were moved in and out using some sort of cable system which I believe got out of adjustment more easily so you might check that. If you have the Lippert hydraulic system for the main slide (like mine), make sure it has been retrofitted with redesigned parts between the electric motor and the hydraulic oil reservoir (2013 or later) which remedies a known issue with that system. We have enjoyed our HR since we purchased it in the Fall of 2013. We have taken it to Washington State, Michigan, Maryland, and Florida. We feel the ride is quite satisfactory and the brakes are adequate. Other than the hydraulic system, the only issues I have had involved emission control system on the Cummins 6.7L diesel. The unit you are looking at won't have those systems and I think my problems stemmed from the MH sitting in one place for long periods of time before we purchased it. Good luck with your decision.

------- Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:55 AM   #5

Jim does yours have air bags ?
Old 06-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
bought an '06 La Palma DP just before Christmas. Before researching here, of course. But no real regrets. So far have over 10k miles ... trips to San Diego, Alberta, Gulf shore. Had an issue with check engine light, codes telling me coolant level low. Wasn't. New sensor fixed the problem.
Your prospective MH, assuming it is a DP, has NO air bags (salesman lied and told me it did), but rides fine. Floor plan is outstanding. But, no decent inverter (chintzy thing in front passenger cabinet just for TV).
So far, the only complaints are associated with the LR slide. As mentioned by Jim, it does have the cable system for movement. Right now I'm getting started with major repairs to it ... the slide will only go out half way ... likely something jammed underneath due to floor rot in the front corner ... not discovered until the plastic panel fractured and displayed rotting floor ... obviously there had been a leak. I'm trying to adjust the cables as the outside edge drops too much ... pain in the butt to get to, but doable.
I might have dickered more on the price had I known about the airbags, but I would have bought the unit regardless. We both really like the layout and are working on getting the inside personalized. Couch and chair removed and I'll put the replacements in this week.
Oh, after the San Diego trip, did install the Safe-T-Steer unit and it made the Canadian trip (through the Rockies) much easier.
PeteandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh ... as mentioned, Cummins 300HP ISB and Allison 1000 tranny. Not big, but had no problem with mountains into San Diego or Canadian Rockies even with pulling toad (2012 Santa Fe on an Acme tow dolly)
PeteandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Loncox,
No, my HR Vacationer does not have airbags. These were entry level diesel pushers so they did not have air suspension or air brakes. Mine does have an "exhaust brake" which is accomplished by closing the vanes on the turbo. It is a nice feature and I find it works very well. I'm not sure if the 2006 model would have that. I have never owned a MH with air suspension so I may not know what I'm missing but we are very happy with the ride in the HR. Our former MH had a Freightliner chassis and 19.5" tires. The HR with the Roadmaster chassis and 22.5" tires rides much better and seems quieter (less jarring and cabinet door rattles when hitting uneven highway seams). The only negative about the leaf spring suspension I have encountered is that the rear end lowers a little when I hook up my '68 Mustang on the car trailer behind the MH. In other words, the suspension is not self leveling like an air suspension would be. I just take the large rock guard off the MH and it pulls the trailer just fine.

------- Jim

Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco