Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2016, 02:05 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Needs advice with Steering issue

Hi Guys,

Our 97 Holiday rambler 32 vacationer has a steering issue. The play in the steering increases at higher speed. At speeds up to about 45 mph the steering is nice and tight like my car. As I increase closer to 50 the steering has about 1 to 2" or so of play but as i increase closer to 60 mph this play increases to about 3 to 4" so at 55, 58 I am constantly steering right to left to keep it on the road.
I can't be the only one with this issue, any ideas, experience, solutions or suggestion as to what could cause this and how to fix it. Chassis is a Ford F53 460 7.5l EFI with 50k miles. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Sunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2016, 06:02 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had same problem with 1st m/h Pace Arrow 36 ft workhorse purchased steer safe from C/W installed. 110 percent better
Old 12-23-2016, 09:26 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I very strongly suspect the problem is NOT play in the steering wheel.

It is "Wag"

Here is what happens: With solid axles and leaf springs the body of he vehicle can move a bit side to side over the axle.. Now if, for example, the front moves to the right, while the rear moves left.. You think you are moving to the right so you compensate (turn left) now the ends sway and the front moves left while the rear moves right.. So you now think you are moving left and you compensate and.. Well now we are back where we started. The circle is completed and it happens over and a over and a over again this drive is' gonna be a drag (Sorry about re-writing that song, no I'm not).

How to fix it?
Well.. there is a lovely little add on or two for your RV that will stop this abhorrent behavior dead in it's tracks. It is called a TRACK BAR

I have one,, you can use one or two.. What it does is LOCK the body over the center of the axle and it holds it there. Now I am told that putting a REAR track bar on the RV is the most effective.. For Ford and Workhorse/Chevy Chassis I'd recommend the Ultra power for the rear, but I don't know about yours

I put a FRONT Trac bar on my Workhorse this was a DAVIS (ok so I'm biased in favor of DAVIS products.. My name after all, though no connection) and am happy with it.. Do plan on the Ultra Power one for the rear when I get the old Round Tuit.. but it makes a big differnece.

In another thread they are yammering about Independent Front Suspension v/s Solid Axle... Now the people are quoting the ads from back in the 60/70s about the "Ride" but frankly I doubt the co-pilot would ever notice the difference

Who does notice the difference? THE DRIVER,, why,, Well.. If my Workhorse had IFS, I'd not need that Front Trac Bar for the two systems do the same thing. they prevent side to side motion of the body over the axle 100% of the time 100% effective.

I'd suggest you invest in Trac Bar(s) and see if that fixes your problem

Oh, primary reason I suspect Wag (track) .. Problem increases with speed.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
If you're near Oregon, I'd suggest a trip to Henderson's Lineup for a road test. I'm sure there are other chassis experts out there, but these guys are good!
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I very strongly suspect the problem is NOT play in the steering wheel.

It is "Wag"

Here is what happens: With solid axles and leaf springs the body of he vehicle can move a bit side to side over the axle.. Now if, for example, the front moves to the right, while the rear moves left.. You think you are moving to the right so you compensate (turn left) now the ends sway and the front moves left while the rear moves right.. So you now think you are moving left and you compensate and.. Well now we are back where we started. The circle is completed and it happens over and a over and a over again this drive is' gonna be a drag (Sorry about re-writing that song, no I'm not).

How to fix it?
Well.. there is a lovely little add on or two for your RV that will stop this abhorrent behavior dead in it's tracks. It is called a TRACK BAR

I have one,, you can use one or two.. What it does is LOCK the body over the center of the axle and it holds it there. Now I am told that putting a REAR track bar on the RV is the most effective.. For Ford and Workhorse/Chevy Chassis I'd recommend the Ultra power for the rear, but I don't know about yours

I put a FRONT Trac bar on my Workhorse this was a DAVIS (ok so I'm biased in favor of DAVIS products.. My name after all, though no connection) and am happy with it.. Do plan on the Ultra Power one for the rear when I get the old Round Tuit.. but it makes a big differnece.

In another thread they are yammering about Independent Front Suspension v/s Solid Axle... Now the people are quoting the ads from back in the 60/70s about the "Ride" but frankly I doubt the co-pilot would ever notice the difference

Who does notice the difference? THE DRIVER,, why,, Well.. If my Workhorse had IFS, I'd not need that Front Trac Bar for the two systems do the same thing. they prevent side to side motion of the body over the axle 100% of the time 100% effective.

I'd suggest you invest in Trac Bar(s) and see if that fixes your problem

Oh, primary reason I suspect Wag (track) .. Problem increases with speed.
What he said^^
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Read this thread front to back and it will educate you.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/wand...124491-38.html
Old 12-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I just went through this with a 1997 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 32CG on a Ford chassis. The fix was fresh sway bar bushings (front and rear) and an alignment. It's now solid and tracks true.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, steering