Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #1

Negotiating price for a used RV

I am shopping for my first RV and after reading and researching for a year I decided on getting a used RV. I know for new RV dealers are giving between 20% to 30% off MSRP. At what percentage should I start negotiating off the listed price at the dealers for a used class A. Thank for any information you help a newbie with.
da808popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2018, 04:35 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd give an 'insulting' lowball offer for the RV. The salesperson won't be insulted if they want the sale and come back with a counteroffer. YOU can always walk away, they can't because they work there. Keep negotiating without coming too close to their offer. If you do decide to walk away, that often seems to be when the best price is finally revealed. I'd also sneak away and call their service department and ask for a service appointment. That can give you another negotiating advantage if they tell you an appointment will be weeks or months in the future.

I always get my financing lined up before negotiating, I refuse to play the monthly payment game that always costs way more than you think. Why let the dealer reap the kickbacks from selling you a loan and an RV?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:48 PM   #3

Good info above. Do your homework and know what the value is on the unit you are buying. Also when making an offer, make it an out-the-door offer. That way they can't play the fees game with you. Some have so many BS fees that it is ridiculous.

When we bought our used MH last year at a dealer they had a $750 prep fee (isn't getting the rig ready for sale a cost of business?), a $250 doc fee and some other fee. Plus then there is taxes, title fee and plates. I made a straight out-the-door offer and it was accepted. No surprises that way.

Good luck with your search.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #4

And smile.

You are in the process of buying a great adventure. No need to hurry, no need to get bullied and there will ALWAYS be another rig available.

My wife and did research for 4 months on-line and visits to dealers. Finally, after 6 months we knew enough to look for and got serious. We knew the floor plan had to WOW us and then fit everything else into our wallet.

I believe I once read a motorhome depreciates 25% out the door and 10% per year thereafter - but, in today's Internet you can simply Google the make and model and get five different numbers. Print a couple out and then go visit your local dealership with those prices. And, YES, you can afford to fly across country to look at your next ~ $100K motorhome - heck, and $800 airfare is less than a cost for annual maintenance on a diesel pusher!

Patience and waiting for what we wanted paid off for us. We wish you the same and look forward to you joining us on the road. Oh, yeah - bring that smile with you!
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #5

I remember going into a dealer, checking out and driving a used rig (it had older than 7yr tires and some issues, plus had been on their lot for a couple years (per car fax)) and then we went in and offered half what they were asking - you should have seen the look on the salesman's face - "That ... is... like... half". They came back at 75% with no service, like new tires, but we would not go that high.

I also know that they will offer you nothing for your trade-in, as long as you let them.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We buy from private sellers and generally start our offer somewhere close to the Low NADA value.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:37 AM   #7

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I appreciate all the help I can get. My DW was listening to rants about terrible RVs on the RV radio show and it practically scared her away. So any assurance I can get is helpful. I know purchasing a used one is financially the best way but I live in Hawaii and going out to see the RV we would be interested in would be difficult. It would probably be a fly in, negotiation the price and then fly home. Any suggestions on what I can do.
da808popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by da808popo View Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I appreciate all the help I can get. My DW was listening to rants about terrible RVs on the RV radio show and it practically scared her away. So any assurance I can get is helpful. I know purchasing a used one is financially the best way but I live in Hawaii and going out to see the RV we would be interested in would be difficult. It would probably be a fly in, negotiation the price and then fly home. Any suggestions on what I can do.
I started a thread “what to do when the motor home you want is a 1,000 miles away”. You might read that entire thread. Lots of good advice for you, and (with the talk of inspectations, good dealers, etc) lots of reassurance for your wife.

Happy Hunting!
Sophiegirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:16 AM   #9

i traded in my class c. it was loaded with options... big options...
as the dealerships were evaluating my C i would point out various options... they didn't care!!! and gave no credit for them... not the 50$ vent covers i added... not the 2 tone leatherette seats. not the 15k heat pump.
----
and this was standard practice.... so i'm guessing that if i were buying a used camper that i should appreciate the options but not include them in my NADA value...

the dealerships did look carefully at condition. of the body and interior.

my mileage was very low.... 3,000 miles on the odom. on a 12 mo. old coach... i thought that would be a great selling point for the dealer... nope!

good luck and enjoy.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:45 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
i traded in my class c. it was loaded with options... big options...
as the dealerships were evaluating my C i would point out various options... they didn't care!!! and gave no credit for them... not the 50$ vent covers i added... not the 2 tone leatherette seats. not the 15k heat pump.
----
and this was standard practice.... so i'm guessing that if i were buying a used camper that i should appreciate the options but not include them in my NADA value...

the dealerships did look carefully at condition. of the body and interior.

my mileage was very low.... 3,000 miles on the odom. on a 12 mo. old coach... i thought that would be a great selling point for the dealer... nope!

good luck and enjoy.
I too have added dozens of options and up-grades, too many to list here. However I realize that it is a 19 year old unit and that I will not get near what I feel it is worth. I may be selling my Motor Home in the fall or next spring. It has always been garaged when not in use and is in perfect shape. Unfortunately, NADA does not reflect things like the units that have been garaged all it's life.

I feel that anyone who is looking for a used unit should take their time, look for one that has been garaged, and listed from a private seller. There are deals out there for those who don’t get too anxious. A friend of mine may also be selling his 2004 Holiday Rambler and his also looks like it should be in a showroom. I think he also will not get what his is worth, but someone will be getting a super deal.

Again, Take your time and you will find.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
First question I asked when I bought mine was does it have a clear title. If yes the bidding war started if no then the bank has the title.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #12

This article will give you some depreciation guidelines:
https://camperreport.com/rv-deprecia...bly-want-know/

RVTrader.com and RVT.com are good resources to determine asking prices for the types of coaches you're looking for.

I second the idea of buying from a private seller who has taken good care of the coach. They'll know the coach and how it's been used/maintained vs. a Dealer who probably won't have much info. Ask lots of questions (google "questions to ask when buying an RV" to find lists of good questions).
When you find the coach you want, have it professionally inspected and use anything the inspector finds as additional leverage to negotiate a lower price.

We bought ours from a private owner 1500 miles away and used a local RVIA level II inspector who produced an excellent 150 page report with lots of pictures and an action item list of issues he found. The issues were really minor so we flew down and finalized the deal and had an RV driving school instructor meet us at the point of purchase to teach us the ins and outs of driving a motor coach for 1.5 days.

It took a few months to find the right coach, but we're really happy we took our time and found what we wanted at the right price.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
First question I asked when I bought mine was does it have a clear title. If yes the bidding war started if no then the bank has the title.
Good point, there are a lot of people who financed them and are upside down with the bank. If the owners don't have the title in hand, it's a waste of time to even go look at it.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:54 PM   #14

I suspect that if you insist on looking only at coaches with title in hand then you just eliminate a major percentage of those that are of interest to you. Dealing with a bank to get the title is really not that big of deal if you use some common sense. Just my $.02.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote