Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
finally, a few years later, he was put into a home for Alzheimer patients. couldnt happen to a nicer guy.

Just buried my father in law (died from Alzheimer's) wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!

As for HOAs, lived in Fla with an HOA and had a pop up. I would come home and start unloading and the HOA would show up. He would tell me I could not park it there, I of course told him I wasn't but had to unload and it was going where it was always parked, in the garage. I had a nut for a neighbor!

Now, here in TN, the city has ordinances about RV parking I found out what they were and complied. Never a problem.

2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #58

We live in an HOA community and store our motorhome at the storage yard 1/4 mile from us. Our president lives at the end of our culdesac.
We had the motorhome parked in the driveway to unload over the week end. Three days later we recieved a letter from the association telling me I cannot have the rv in my drive way. I went to the president and complained to him and he said he would check into it. The next day he came by and said they did a drive by and saw it in the drive. None of my neighbors have a problem with it in the drive way. The next week I got an aplogizing letter from the association saying that they did not know I stored it some where else. We now have agreement that when I will be loading or unloading I just call them up and let them know how long it will be in my driveway. I also call them when I will have it in the driveway to work on it.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #59

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
The theory is the HOA will keep out riff raff and prevent property value devaluation from neighbors who do not keep their homes up. Sometimes it works out this way but, all too often, the HOAs get power hungry and abuse their power.

I personally feel that deed restrictions are a safer way to prevent property devaluating practices. Generally, the city will enforce them and are less likely to abuse their power. Note that I said generally. Tempe, AZ used to go nuts over code enforcement.
We're out in the county and around here deed restrictions are considered to be civil matters so you have to sue them in civil court which is usually too expensive.
Our covenants ran for 20 years unless renewed. No one enforced them and they weren't renewed anyway. RV's are allowed, if parked behind the front line of the house, so we did and still do.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
We live in an HOA community and store our motorhome at the storage yard 1/4 mile from us. Our president lives at the end of our culdesac.
We had the motorhome parked in the driveway to unload over the week end. Three days later we recieved a letter from the association telling me I cannot have the rv in my drive way. I went to the president and complained to him and he said he would check into it. The next day he came by and said they did a drive by and saw it in the drive. None of my neighbors have a problem with it in the drive way. The next week I got an aplogizing letter from the association saying that they did not know I stored it some where else. We now have agreement that when I will be loading or unloading I just call them up and let them know how long it will be in my driveway. I also call them when I will have it in the driveway to work on it.
Are you kidding me, you have to call them to tell them you are there to load or unload. Holy crap batman. I can't imagine calling someone to tell them I will be using MY DRIVEWAY. Sorry I just don't get it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Are you kidding me, you have to call them to tell them you are there to load or unload. Holy crap batman. I can't imagine calling someone to tell them I will be using MY DRIVEWAY. Sorry I just don't get it.

X2... Not interested in living in any HOA, but we have do them on either side of us. THEY have to comply with all the rules, regulations, nosy folks, CCR's, etc. WE don't...

On my acre lot, we've got our motorcoach, race car trailer & utility trailer. We also have an 8 car garage attached to our home. I'm thinking of building an additional 6 car garage, as we are collecting additional vintage race cars & British sports cars. The HOA folks are limited to puny little 3 car garages. They have chosen to live in bland conformity; common design fences, paint schemes etc. We live in a gorgeous architect designed custom home with all the toys, and they have to deal with the "rules".

I really don't get that mentality, nor do I get folks who live in such communities and then complain because they can't keep their RV's there. Duh...
Old 11-23-2011, 11:43 PM   #62

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

we have a pair of nosey hens that drive around in their golf carts and SPY when ever there is something new on my street....my street is just me and my parents house(let em buy one of my lots)...no other persons just us, all 1k feet of it

but stillll the nosey patrol has to drive by when we come home or get ready to leave, loading up the truck on the trailer.

we have poa rules...but the developer only enforces them if they dont like you.......

needless to say its a picnic at pizzing off the nosey ones
i take great pride in upsetting them at least once a month

new trick.....no firearm discharging in the community...been accused lots of times, after i have killed a few snakes
sooooo I
got a .22 caliber nail gun....makes a racket.....causes em to drive by the house looking for guns
i just add a few more nails to the timbers
VA already says i dont play well in the sandbox
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #63

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was just e-mailing a friend of mine (not on this site) about this subject. Be careful out there--about 15 years ago a HOA conflict over the swiming pool wound up with one person dead having been shot. It happens.

The shooting was invalid because there was not a quorum present---but the guy was dead anyway.

If we all try following the rules to the best of our ability and if we run afoul then correct the situation quickly and calmly then maybe no one gets hurt.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #64

Per my post in this thread, I live in an "estate" neighborhood. This was pointed out by my late, busybody, neighbor across the street. He was in cahoots with my next door neighbor, but when he died things quieted down.

The funny thing is, where we live all that is required for a developer to call a subdivision an "estate" is to use shake roofs. Our subdivision is about 40 years old, so a lot of the roofs have been replaced (some destroyed by the wicked hail we get here in the west). The funny thing was, both the neighbors that were complainers had tar shingle roofs, negating that snooty quality they were so high on.

I obey the law in all respects, doesn't stop people from using the authorities to annoy you. I bought this house because I could accommodate my 90 year old war veteran parents, so of course they complained that I had an illegal suite! I'm not happy that one of them is dead, but I sure don't miss him. The family that bought that house have kids and a trailer, and they have stuff all over the lawn, sometimes on the street, the trailer is sometimes left off the hitch on the side of the road, and I must say it is a much happier street with their kids playing and making noise.

The other complainer that lives beside me has never, in 8 years, spoken to me. To annoy him I greet him and his wife every time I see them. By the way, when we came to inspect the property after we bought it, the wife (who won't look at us) was sunbathing on our deck! Since there is a 6 foot hedge between the houses she had to walk out to the street and walk into our back yard to get to it!
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #65

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
These thing for us have gone in cycles---when we first moved in we had an awful time with some of the neighbors for various reasons. Some quite rediculous----one led to a showdown with the HOA and we prevailed which changed the temperment around here along with a few fortuitous move outs.

Now thankfully we are in a good phase and have been for a long time. Our neighbors watch our place while we are gone they are sad to see us leave and happy at our return. We respect each others privacy, help if we can or if needed and occassionally celebrate kids birthdays etc;

Sometimes I have to park the RV for longer than the 72 hours allowed---some people down the street have parents who visit in their RV and stay in their drive for two/three weeks---and we all---at least for this point in time---go along in order to get along.

And so this Thanksgiving---all is well.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #66

Someone once said that the best security system is a nosy neighbor. I would agree as long as that neighbor is your friend.
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I don't get the HOA thing. What benefit is there to buying a home in neighborhood where the board has so much say in what you and cannot do with property you paid for and I assume they charge some type of fee to the home owners.

I am considerate of my neighbors but would not allow any of them to tell me what I can or cannot park in my driveway or for how long.

What am I missing? There must be some benefit that causes people to seek out this type of arrangement.
When we moved to Houston, I needed to be able to respond to the hospital within 20 minutes. My daughters were starting the 4th and 8th grades, so I wanted to be in a school system with top notch SAT scores.

The neighborhood that met all of my requirements also had a strict HOA. The plus is that there are no junk cars, no wildly painted houses, no 40' radio antennas, no loud motorcycles or cars without mufflers, no cars on blocks. The lawns are tidy and manicured, the houses are well-kept, and the neighborhood has kept its housing values in this down market.

My drive is about 110' long, 16 feet wide and 12" deep at the most shallow point, 18" at the street for the first 10 feet. I can back my MH close to the garage and still park 4 cars in the drive without blocking the sidewalk. My MH can't be seen when someone is just driving down the street. But I still get letters from the HOA if I keep it in the drive more than 48 hours.

Although this one part is an inconvenience, the rest is a plus.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #68

I am actually surprised that we did not run into any neighbor problems when I had our motor home at the house. We have 2 houses of neighbors that complain about everything else under the sun. Always had mine parked in the driveway though. I looked up the city ordinances regarding these rigs and talked to a guy a couple blocks over that has a Class A Diesel Pusher of some type. He said as long as it isn't leaking (too much), being lived in (can't "camp" in the driveway for more than 2 nights), and isn't blocking the side walk then people can complain all they want it is legal for our town.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #69

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I used to have a problem with the HOA and my first RV, a converted Ambulance.

Now that I have the alpine, I haven't had any problems...

I suppose someone in my neighborhood found my "homemade" RV conversion a bit tacky..
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Any pictures of the inside of the converted ambulance?

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote