Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #127

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Lots of responses here and I did not read them all so sorry if this is a repeat. I live in a neighborhood that does not allow them. I'm currently looking for a lot to build a house where they do allow them. That being said when I find this lot and build my house I can assure you no one is going to convince me to not park my RV there. While I sympathize with the sellers they should have not purchased a home in a neighborhood that allows RVs to park there. And there is the bottom line no matter how you dissect this situation. Judgement for the defendant. Case closed.
Look for a lot in a rural area. If you had read my earlier post. I have a friend whose father has owned motor homes for over 35 years. He built a pad for his motor home and it is fairly new. Fort Smith, Arkansas passed an ordinance that you cannot park your motor home on residential property anywhere in the city. After 35 years of having it close to his house he now has to pay to park it in commercial storage. Fort Smith did not allow any grandfather clauses with the new ordinance. The lot you can park in today can be taken away by the city fathers.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #128

Hot topic, and I've read 4 pages of the posts.

1. most people in nice neighborhoods who don't own RV/boat don't like them parked near their house. I can't recall seeing a beautiful home in archetectural digest ... with an RV on the side! This does increase the chances of a lower sales price.
2. if you feel very agreeable, you can park off-site and and then say bring the coach over the 24hrs before you take off on a trip. So the agent shouldn't bring anybody by that day, and if the potential buyer drives by, well, they see how the place will look after they purchase
3. The seller has to disclose this (in CA at least!), so whether the future buyer sees the RV now or later is there that much difference?
4. Neighbor can plant trees/shrubs, in a few years not such a big deal?
5. Deal breaker for me with the new RV as you describe is that I'd want to make sure rodents don't get into it off-site. Who knows, maybe the normally worthless dog(!) might alert me to rats if he starts sniffing around the coach and i'd see that if the coach was next to the house.

You seem like a very nice, considerate person! You just made a very expensive purchase and bottom line is you have to feel comfortable in the way you are looking after that purchase! A secure indoor storage facilty that isn't too far away would seem like a must.

I'd discuss the disclosure issue with the neighbor, long term the coach probably stays at your house, and having your NEW neighbor upset at you for "tricking" them wouldn't be good either!

Sorry for your trouble!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #129

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Look for a lot in a rural area. If you had read my earlier post. I have a friend whose father has owned motor homes for over 35 years. He built a pad for his motor home and it is fairly new. Fort Smith, Arkansas passed an ordinance that you cannot park your motor home on residential property anywhere in the city. After 35 years of having it close to his house he now has to pay to park it in commercial storage. Fort Smith did not allow any grandfather clauses with the new ordinance. The lot you can park in today can be taken away by the city fathers.
That's ridiculous. I thought that America was that land of the free? Apparently you are unless it offends someone.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:58 PM   #130

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Too many people trying to be PC. Its your property people. My home could be in architectural digest. They would just have to airbrush out the motorhome. I solved the problem of being around these uptight people. I moved to a rural town. On my two mile road the houses go from 65k to 1.2m. with a few farms thrown in for good measure and yes some of these farms are strewn with machinery and junk piles while others are meticulous. With the exception of one bad apple, everybody gets along. Nobody would have the nerve to ask someone to clean up or change this or that. That farm or 65k house does not effect my value in the least. The character and quality of the people sure do. If you like being able to dictate to others as well as be dictated to, move into that sub division or gated community with its covenants and restrictions. Keep yourselves busy coming up with new laws at your monthly meetings Ill spend mine doing the things I like the way I like to do them.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:27 AM   #131

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Their Real Estate agent is full of it or just maybe they are. Park your rig and enjoy and let them pound sand, political correctness is what is killing this country.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts
2006 Newmar Kountry Star KSDP 3910 (parked on the side of my house in an up scale neighborhood)
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:52 AM   #132

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My subdivision does not allow anything other than boat trailers to be parked other than temporarily. That did not keep me from building a nice pad next to my garage when I redid my driveway after 32 years. I wouldn't want to live in a sub with no regulations at all. Nor do I want to park my trailer or RV next to my house permanently as if everyone were allowed to do it, there would be abuse and it would be an eyesore for my neighbors and myself. Our sub is somewhat upscale, but now 40 years old. That being said, that pad does get used frequently for extra cars and staging boat and snowmobile trailers. And with permission from the sub I kept the MH there for 6 weeks last summer as I was doing a kitchen remod and needed to use the MH's kitchen. Also prior for 3 weeks when I replaced the floor. I have inexpensive ($50/mo) secure storage available 5 minutes away which is a plus.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:27 AM   #133

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would move the MH to some other location but then buy a beat up, used and rusty old pickup truck, take the wheels off it, set it up in blocks, leave the hood open and put it in the front yard. Let's see how much that realtor says that will cost them!
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #134

I would send them back a note that said "No problem, of course the buyers will be vetted by the residence of the neighborhood to make sure they are not going to keep their house in such a fashion that it will lower the value of our houses, right?"
Old 04-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #135

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
I would send them back a note that said "No problem, of course the buyers will be vetted by the residence of the neighborhood to make sure they are not going to keep their house in such a fashion that it will lower the value of our houses, right?"
Now that's an interesting proposition for them to consider. Think that would cost them more than $20K? You know what they say about people in glass houses.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:45 PM   #136

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
That's ridiculous. I thought that America was that land of the free? Apparently you are unless it offends someone.

I am not sure which America you live in but the one I live in the government has the right to make and enforce laws. If you do not agree with them then vote someone else in to make new ones. If the government make a law you think is unconstitutional take them to court and try to have it thrown out. Right or wrong there are millions of people that live in community that bans you from parking your boat or your RV in the driveway. Like another poster I live in a rural area with no covenants to control what I do. That Is where the land of the free part comes in. I can live where I want and I can vote against anyone I don't like
Old 04-27-2014, 12:06 AM   #137

Freightliner Owners Club
America is about choice. If you choose to live in a gated community or HMA with rules and regulations about how you can live in your home then it's your choice. If you choose to live in a rural setting without covenants, rules and regulations then that's your choice. But, if you choose to live where you are allowed to have your MH next to your house and the neighbor schemes a plan to trick a purchaser into believing his choice of home has covenants against it.....that's fraud.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #138

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikboy View Post
The problem is I sympathize with these folks.

They are moving because they have not had work in a while and can't afford their mortgage anymore.
Wow, ten pages of mostly flaming responses and only a few suggesting how they should actually respond to the email they got. Come on fellow irv2'ers, you can do better than that! What words would you actually have for a neighbor out of work and desperate to get what they can from the sale of their biggest asset?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #139

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Wow, ten pages of mostly flaming responses and only a few suggesting how they should actually respond to the email they got. Come on fellow irv2'ers, you can do better than that! What words would you actually have for a neighbor out of work and desperate to get what they can from the sale of their biggest asset?
I would tell the neighbor NO. To do what you suggested is fraudulent and I will not take part in that.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #140

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Personally, I have throw in the towel, My parents bought this house in 1950 when there was farms all around it I came along in 55 and pretty much have been here since. 1970 comes along there is now a neighborhood, no farms The YMCA decides to build a Gym across the street where the horses and cow's used to graze.. Parents got the "Don't worry you won't know were here". Talk about a lie.
Since they opened we had to listen to the AC units 24/7 summer, fall, spring,
Last year a Hugh remodel now we get to listen to huge roof tops (enclosed but open on the end that faces our house.) Louder now than ever. They took enough space out of a park too add 50 car parking lot. M-F we can't park in front of our own home because of the cars that park there now than in the new 50 spot parking lot which sits empty. Winter streets don't get plowed because the plows can't get thru. Summer same thing, but with the street sweepers, garbage pick up 5:15-6:00 AM. The FIX for me is too MOVE
Enough,
Sorry I got carried away.
So we are going full time, where all I have to put up with is the 10 year rule. Boon-docking is looking better and better every day.
JMS, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote