Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #155
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
I had the same situation and decided that I wanted my new Diplomat at home not stored. As it turned out after my pad was completed alot of neighbors stoped by and ask me about the RV. The neighbors house sold to a couple that were RV'ers at full asking price.

When I sold my house the pad help sell it because the owners had a 35' boat.

Do it, and enjoy having it home, very convient to load and work on.
I totally agree.

I can see the picture, a good realtor, showing the property, stating as a great big plus that in this neighborhood parking of RVs and boats etc. is encouraged by the neighborhood, because this neighborhood cares about families and children, unlike the repressive attitudes of the small lot city slicker attitudes in 'that other part of town'.

I can also only imagine that I would ever in a million years ask a neighbors permission to be able to do what I wanted to do on/with my own property. That would be the day!

It reminds me of a time many years ago when our neighbor lady commented on how many dandelions were growing on my lawn. When I commented that I would be grateful if she could find the time to help me get rid of the dandelions on my lawn, she lost interest in the subject and never mentioned it again.

Go figure.

Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 11:51 PM   #156

Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by Musikboy View Post
I need a little advice. I live on a street with nice big home lots, I have 3/4 acre with my house closer to the road with a large back yard. Unfortunately the backyard is wetland (can't park there) so I asked one of my neighbors if he would mind if I put a parking pad on the side of my driveway, our land abutts. He said yes no problem and congratulated me on the new Motorhome purchase.

The other neighbor (lets call them Jack & Jill) just informed me that he's moving and his realtor says he'll lose at least $20K of home value just because my motorhome will be visible from the side of their house.

I am within my legal rights to park my motorhome on my property and I have written permission from one neighbor where I abutt.

Jack and Jill asked if I would be willing to park off-site at a commercial yard several miles away for the whole spring/summer/fall season. Remember, this is our NEW motorhome. We have never owned a motorhome before, we can't wait to use it every other weekend or more. I am not inclined to park off site. Jack and Jill said they would pay for us parking it off site.

Now I feel terrible that I might cause them to lose money on their house. Yet, we don't want our new very expensive motorhome sitting in some open yard with limited access.

He knew several months in advance we were going to buy one, I showed him where we were going to park it. He congratulated me and never said a word about moving. Now I get this email and I feel terrible.

I would love to hear your input, what do you think?

Tell the neighbor that the realtor wants to park his rv there and was bragging about getting his place for $20,000.00 cheeper. Say hi to the new realtor!

You Only Live Once Travel!
2013 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Apopka FL.
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:22 AM   #157
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Originally Posted by mcbrian View Post
"Now I get this email and I feel terrible" Now that is a good neighbor. An email instead of walking 200 feet and talking to you.
Isn't that the truth!
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:55 AM   #158
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
Got to take the high road people. As much as it can be irksome to have inappropriate requests such as this, your response says as much about you as it does about the people making the inappropriate request. If you choose to respond, do so respectfully. Even a refusal given in the correct fashion is much more likely to be received courteously that a suggestion as to what they can do with their request.

Some of you suggesting to tell them to pound sand? Glad you are not my neighbor.
Ole and Anne Anderson, Highland, Michigan
'02 Adventurer 32V, Ford F-53, ours since 4/08,Goodyears, Konis, SeeLevel, CHF
'84 CJ-7 , 5.3 Chevy, 3" lift, 33's, Detroit Locker, Fiberglas tub, winch, hi-lift
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #159
Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club

I wanted to say Thanks to everyone who wrote with comments and suggestions. I found everyone's contribution valuable and in many cases amusing. I thought of a way to ethically take advantage of my neighbor's offer to pay us to park off site. I realized that money could contribute to "hiding" my motorhome from their view, by building the landing pad on the other side of my home. While inconvenient for me, it would place it out of their direct line of sight. The paving contractor came back and said it can be done but it would be a major impact on our own property and potentially be unstable due to a low water table, and I decided against it, cost aside.

I thought long and hard about this response. I have shared 10 years on this street with these neighbors, we've enjoyed many fun times together and have spent holidays together during the bad times when we had no one in the area. I empathize with their plight both in terms of locating work and in terms of being fearful their home value is being affected by my choices. Yet, in the end, I value my right to use my property as I see fit as long as it doesn't violate the law or create a dangerous situation. I, like you, spent a lot of money on my MH and want to have it on my property where I have easy access and can enjoy it more easily.

I wrote my neighbor back and wanted to acknowledge CJ7ole, who wrote the perfect response and I used it almost word for word. Here's what I said:

Dear XXXX,

We are sorry that your realtor believes the presence of our MH will negatively affect the resale value of your home. You might want to check with other realtors as we believe he may be incorrect. We don't believe it's fair or ethical to temporarily move our MH only to move it back after you leave, because we don't want to surprise our new neighbors after you sell them your home.

I did check with our paving contractor and he explained it would be nearly impossible to create an accessible, stable place to park the motorhome, on the other side of our house.

We are sad you are moving and we both wish you the best. If there's anything we can do to help, please let me know.

His response was short and simple. "Ok thanks for checking" and that was it. I don't know if he will try and drum up support from our other neighbors to "do something" about my choice of locating on my property. I hope not but if there's going to be an issue, I am ready to defend my position.

It's too bad that this has become such an issue, when all I really wanted to do was enjoy our new DP. And we will do just that.

Thanks everyone for your wisdom and support, I hope to meet you on the road someday soon.
Musikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #160
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by Musikboy View Post
I hope to meet you on the road someday soon.
Me too you! Judging from your truly brilliant, friendly, and to-the-point letter and neighborly solution to the problem, you sound like someone I'd like to be neighbors with.

This is for you:

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #161
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Me too you! Judging from your truly brilliant, friendly, and to-the-point letter and neighborly solution to the problem, you sound like someone I'd like to be neighbors with.

This is for you:

Well played sir.... well played.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #162

Official iRV2 Sponsor
Overland Owners Club
I think you handled it very nicely. Above board, thoughtfully, and honestly. The same way you would want to be treated if it was the other way around.
Don & Anita Sweger
98 Overland Larado 4141SO
41' 325hp Cummins C8.3 Nicknamed "Lola"
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #163
Georgie Boy Owners Club

Movie playing: "RV" with Robin Williams ... In the picture above and shown below, no one realized the poor fellow had died until after the show had ended ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Show Killed Him.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	61854  
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #164

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yep, move!
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #165
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

Well played sir.... well played.

X3, handled it as good as you possibly could. Please don't loose sleep over this, you have done nothing wrong from the sounds of it.
Johnny Rotten
2009 American Eagle 42'
Trailering HD Road Glide and Saab 9.3 or Cadillac Escalade ESV
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #166
Friends of ours had the same problem, we discovered last night while having dinner at their new house. They just purchased a home in a very upscale neighborhood and although they have a nice large RV space along side the house, their neighbor was very unhappy when they parked their RV there.

Their solution was interesting and I wanted to share it here. For not much money, they increased the height of the gate so as to hide the RV from the street, and then also built very nice screening so the RV can't be seen from any angle outside of their yard. It looks great and now both homeowners are happy.
2012 Winnebago Sightseer
2003 Wrangler
...and a dog named Belle
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #167
Any time my dad thinks about moving, first thing he looks to see is if there are RVs in the neighborhood.

I double he will ever move, but if he did it would have to be a place where people have RVs.
1998 Thor Windsport 33SL
2007 Chevy Uplander toad (tow master dolly)
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #168

Entegra Owners Club
As one of the Realtors here, you did the right thing and are to be commended.

This post has reminded me of the number of people that buy in the flight path of an airport that been there for 30 years, then complain about the noise.

Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote