Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #71

I guess I'm glad I live in the country my class A in the drive way 30 foot travel trailer in the back ski boat bass boat and landscape trailer in the yard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
I'm sorry, but I tend to agree with the realtor. Some big old RV sitting in the yard would not be good for the sales value.

The real question is your own concern for your neighborhood. Picture your street with a motorhome here, a car up on blocks there, a boat in this driveway, 5 cars in that driveway, etc. It doesn't add up to an attractive neighborhood.

Even when we have ours at home, we feel a bit guilty. We keep the time minimal and get it back to the shed a.s.a.p.

Wow, I'm glad you'er not my neighbor ( and I bet you are too ). If someone wants to find a neighborhood where motorhomes are not welcome and have restrictions against it, more power to them. But if someone lives in a neighborhood with no such restrictions, I don't see how they can expect to tell their neighbors they can't park one there because they don't like how it looks.

Furthermore, I don't understand how someone can assume that a $300,000 motorhome can evolve into having "a car up on blocks there, a boat in this driveway, 5 cars in that driveway, etc". Really? I guess the thinking here is, the neighborhood and the property values are going to hell because the "RV trash" moved in. Sad! ...To those people I say, if you don't like the neighborhood (or my RV). MOVE!

Randy W

Old 04-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I would simply respond that "We have enjoyed having you as neighbors and wish you the best. We are sorry that your realtor believes the presence of our MH will negatively affect the resale value of your home. You might want to check with other realtors as we believe he may be incorrect. We intend to leave our MH as-is because we don't want to surprise our new neighbors by putting it back next to our home after you sell."
^^ This. And I totally agree with the others who state that you don't want to dupe your NEW neighbors. That could cause years of bad feelings, whereas the sellers will be long gone.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I spent 32 years in the real estate business. That converstion would never have happened with Jack & Jill unless the Realtor was trying to lowball the listing. In the area I marketed in, Denver CO. RV parking would have carried a bonus selling price.
I agree. I have several neighbors who chose my neighborhood just because they have a trailer or motorhome and are allowed to park it in the driveway. Realtor needs to accent the positives.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #75

Tiffin Owners Club
I've been following this thread since it started... even posted about jealousy on page 1. Now to the OP, a very serious word of warning since I have not seen it mentioned:

Since you say that you are totally legal with the RV in your yard, I WOULD NOT accept the neighbors offer to park off-site, no matter how much they contributed! Remember, you're not paying anything to park in your own yard anyway, yet there are MANY benefits. While you clearly have honest feelings for your neighbors given your sympathy, I bet the feelings aren't mutual. Have you considered that they are trying to get you to park off-site for a year or two while behind your back, they rush some local or HOA ordinances banning neighborhood RV parking? You will have a VERY SERIOUS uphill battle in front of you trying to bring the MH back once they've effectively banned it, and once that's done, you can sure bet that they will not be so helpful with your off-site fees!
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #76

Well if the neighbors are having to sell their house because they don't have the money for the mortgage, how in the world would they come up with the cash to pay for your off site parking area? Or would it be one of those "do as I ask of you now, and I shall pay for the favor later" type deals? I'd just ignore the request, you know, computer gremlins never delivered the email.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #77

Not disagreeing with any posts above. The PO is WELL within his rights to keep his MH where it is, and is the most honest policy for the new neighbors "to be".

An interesting what if tho...
What if this wasn't a brand new shiny class A, but rather was a much less attractive unit? That doesn't alter the PO's rights, but does it make more sense from the seller's perspective?

Also, I do not think a MH adds value, just my opinion.

I live in a 'hood with 1 acre lots and an HOA that does not allow me to store my MH at my house. I prefer to store it indoors anyways. That said, it has been at my house for 5 weeks straight as I redid my flooring, and I really should get it back in storage ;-)

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Iwillbeit -
Quote:
Wow, I'm glad you'er not my neighbor ( and I bet you are too ).
We can certainly agree on this.

Akeyzoo -
Quote:
An interesting what if tho...
What if this wasn't a brand new shiny class A, but rather was a much less attractive unit? That doesn't alter the PO's rights, but does it make more sense from the seller's perspective?
You said in a much better way (and more succinctly) the point I was trying to get across. And if a motohome, then why not an old FEMA trailer?

Let's just say I like the deed restrictions in my community.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
You said in a much better way (and more succinctly) the point I was trying to get across. And if a motohome, then why not an old FEMA trailer?

Let's just say I like the deed restrictions in my community.
The fact remains that this is NOT a deed-restricted community and any prospective buyer should be aware of what they are getting into. Caveat Emptor. It is not up to the OP to try to dupe prospective property owners, and the sellers should not be asking him to.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #80

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
The fact remains that this is NOT a deed-restricted community and any prospective buyer should be aware of what they are getting into. Caveat Emptor. It is not up to the OP to try to dupe prospective property owners, and the sellers should not be asking him to.
No kidding...and I'll add:

Absolutely positively SAVE that e-mail, O.P.! Nothin' like a paper trail that proves "Jack, Jill, and Their Realtor Ogre" had prior knowledge of the fact of your perfectly legal/innocent pre-existing activity, and attempted to get you to help them conceal that fact from a buyer.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #81

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting thread with a lot of emotions!

If the neighbor (or his/her realtor) is so concerned about the appearance of an RV parked at the house next door they're willing to pay for off-site storage, why not use their self-interested offer, and ask them to contribute to pay for building an RV garage? that would seem to address the neighbor's concerns, benefit the OP and his land values, and allow him to continue to keep their nice new RV parked next to the house?

I've no idea how the costs compare in your area, but it seems like a clever way to try to respond to their request in a way that actually benefits you!

Old 04-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #82

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcdou View Post
Interesting thread with a lot of emotions!

If the neighbor (or his/her realtor) is so concerned about the appearance of an RV parked at the house next door they're willing to pay for off-site storage, why not use their self-interested offer, and ask them to contribute to pay for building an RV garage?

I wish I could. There is no space on my property to build a garage. My land is basically on a gentle slope with a flat top where the house and parking area is. I extended the parking area 13' wider and the motorhome will be parked parallel to my house and the neighbors house. It's right between us both.

I would LOVE to have a MH garage someday but that said I would love to move to a warm(er) weather climate too. It's just stopped snowing here in Boston! and I am barely kidding. DW is too close to the grand kids to want to move just yet, but give me 5 years or so, we'll get there!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting thread. My view would be to keep the MH onsite. I wouldn't want to "trick" your new neighbors this way by surprising them with a MH right after they move in. I mean, you'll have to live next to the folks that buy that house for years (decades?). What if they hate motorhomes? No, I would want to start off with full disclosure and an honest real estate agent should too.

Also, if it were me I'd call another agent and ask them myself about this MH "depreciation of value". Sounds fishy to me, but I'm not a real estate agent.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #84

I cannot see how that would devalue their home but I would probably look into it personally. I say this is because if their home brings in less money than expected, it can affect your home value. While some people keep their homes for many many years so that is not a concern, people like my wife and I build a new house every few years. So that would be something we look at. The property my wife and I just purchased also in a middle class subdivision does not allow trailers, boats, RV's etc in the driveway for more than a few days. However they are allowing us to build an attached motorhome garage to our house.

As a fellow RVer I cannot see how a neighbor with a motorhome parked in their yard that looks nice on a pad would devalue the home but people seem to complain about anything anymore. While I do understand if someone buys the home and then sees the motorhome show up shortly afterword's may seem like "where did that come from" but I don't see how it is any different than you going and purchasing one right after they buy the house.