Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #1

Neubie Needs info how to Winterize 2000 Hurricane ASAP

Never owned an RV ever before. Just got one this fall. It is parked about 1 hour away ( no RV storage here in NYCity) and I need to winterize it ASAP. I know all the tanks are empty because the sensor inside says so, but I watched the winterizing video on youtube by Lichtsinn motors ( helpful) and I am wondering if I need to add the antifreeze to all the water lines also ?? On the video they also spoke about the water heater drain. HELP PLEASE my Hurricane is a year 2000 model
Markrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
Winterizing

Experts here might not agree, and once you've done it a couple times it gets simple, but what I did year before last with my 2003 RV was to take it to a RV repair facility to winterize, with the agreement that I could watch while they did it, and ask questions. Some have video taped the process, i took notes.
I hope it's not already too late for you in the NYC climate.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Danger, just because the gauge says the tanks are empty, does not mean there may not be a small amount of residual water left in it, enough to do damage. Open the valves and let them drain. Drain the hot water tank, the fresh water tank, and the two holding tanks. To drain the hot water tank, probably have to remove the electrical heater anode, open the pressure relief valve so it drains completely. Then close all those on the water heater, and look for the hot water tank bypass. Usually on the inside near the hot water tank.

Go to Walmart, Lowes etc and by RV antifreeze, it will be pink in color. I buy 4 gallons( more than I need, if you go cheap, and miss something and it freezes and breaks, it will cost a lot more to,repair than a $ 5 gallon of anti freeze).

Pour or pump, all but 2/3 of a,gallon into your drinking water tank. With the pump on, turn on the kitchen faucet, and let it run until it is pink in color. Do each faucet kitchen, bathroom, shower sink, toilet. Couple words of caution. The 2/3"gallon you did not pour into the tank....pour a,little in each drain to make sure anti freeze is in the traps. Buddy forgot the shower drain, it burst the next spring and was,a,real pain to repair. My toile has a pedal flush valve and a rinse hose, I forgot to move the pedal up as well as down one year, cost $80 for a new toilet input valve. If you have a hose or outside shower, make sure you run pink stuff thru that, and the shower hose as well as,the shower faucet. Ice maker? Disconnect the input line and make sure you have run pink stuff thru it. Washer? Drain it all hoses, input and drain lime and trap. I then drain the black and grey tanks again, to get the water out that went in there when I started process. Once that is done and closed pour what is left of your antifreeze into the toilet and flush it. Pure antifreeze now in the black tank and at the dump valve
Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #4

Exactly what DGBPokes says! I would like to add one thing I have learned that it works well. Put a cup of soap in the toilet put a small bag of ice and a few gallon jugs of water. Take it for a drive. The shaking of the ice will scrub the walls of your black water tank. Then dump it one last time. Then do your winterizing. Good tip I picked up.
coachdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Good idea CoachDog. For cleanliness, I picked up a tip here last year. I went to the Dollar store and bought a cheap generic bottle of Pinesol. After I dump, I always add 3-4 gallons of fresh water, now I add 1/2 cup of Pinesol. As I drive to my next destination, the mixture sloshes around and cleans the sides of the tank. And a bonus is it smells good.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jan. 24th in NY. and not winterized yet?
If it hasn't already froze/broke everything by now. It probably can't be hurt anymore then it has already.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane