Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
Senior Member
cochise1949's Avatar
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lake Elsinore, CA
Posts: 207
Nevada Driver Licensing

We are considering moving from California to Nevada where we have a second home. I am reading a lot of info on Nevada licensing requirements and have just two questions remaining:

Our rig has a GVRW of EXACTLY 26000 lbs. We tow a 3400 lb Honda CRV. Are we required to get a non-commercial class A or B license?

Would we have to take written and driving exams? I think I understand that the requirements kick in when the RV is 26001 lbs and over but...the more I read the less I understand.

Bev& Keith
Kyriana(14)Aidan(11), Emily and Olivia (2) Grandchildren
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
lllkrob's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,826
Yes you will need a non-commercial class B license. As per Nevada regulations:
When towing trailer above 10,000 lb GVWR, requires "J" endorsement. Above 26,000 lb GVWR or GCWR requires non-commercial Class A or B.

The gross combined weight rating is what will require the class B license.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6
lllkrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #3
Senior Member

Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,107
That's actually a quandary as the Nevada DMV website says that a noncommerical Class B is required for a motorhome that is "...26,000 pounds or heavier" but their handbooks states "...26,001 or more pounds..."

When I did a quick check of the Nevada Revised Statutes (their NRS list on the internet), I couldn't find it specifically addressed.

Assuming that the NRS does in fact state that a Class B noncommercial license is required for a vehicle rated at 26,000 lbs GVWR or heavier, then you'd obviously need a noncommercial Class B license. If it's 26,001 lbs GVWR, then you technically wouldn't require one.

With a Class B non-commercial license, you are allowed to tow a vehicle behind the motorhome that doesn't exceed 10,000 lbs. GVWR. Therefore, your current toad is acceptable with a Class B. However, if you change toads to something that is over 10,000 lbs. GVWR, then you'd need a Class A noncommercial license. The J endorsement pertains to a towing a trailer/or light 5th-wheel and does not specifically involve a motorhome.

I've had a Nevada noncommercial license for the past ten years but prior to that, I did have a CDL so never had to take any tests specifically for the non-commercial license. From what I've heard from others, the same tests are administered for the noncommercial Class B as what a CDL applicant must take. The only difference is the CDL -applicant must take and pass a DOT physical and have the certification card with them at all times.

I've attached the Nevada RV "handbook" in case you haven't read it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf nv non-commerical.pdf (833.7 KB, 51 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:56 AM   #4
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8
Nevada Driver Licensing

we just changed our residence from Calif to Nevada. The DMV is awful in Nevada. To avoid driving your RV to to DMV for a VIN inspection, you can have a police officer come to you for the inspection and complete the necessary/required form. Print the form from the internet. We were in Boulder City and the officer could not have been nicer. You also need proof of your residency to change your driver's license. They want an ORIGINAL utility bill, bank statement, etc PLUS your SS card and other docs. be sure to check online and gather your documents before you go wait in line. We waited a total if 10 hours over three visits to get our licenses, our car registered, and the RV registered. hope this is helpful
suej0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
Senior Member
JRPA's Avatar

Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 264
I agree the Nevada DMV is horrible, but I think most govt offices are likewise. I live in Las Vegas but we are fairly close to the DMV office located in Henderson Nevada so I went to the Henderson location last year to take the written part of the test to get my Nevada class B license and was given the wrong test (twice) and finally told that I should have gone to the North Vegas location as they know better what and how to give the class B written test and that is the DMV location they do all the CDL licensing in Southern Nevada.

I scheduled my driving test and when I arrived at the N. Las Vegas DMV location for the test, they looked up my records and said I still haven't taken the correct test, so I had to take one more additional written test before the driving part. The test are fairly basic and not nearly as in-depth as the regular CDL license as we only had to study parts of the CDL manual and skip a lot of the more technical CDL stuff needed to transport really big loads and dangerous cargo, so read through the material but not a big deal at all for the non commericial class B license.

The driving part of the test was simple also and they didn't seem a bit concerned about who drove the RV to the licensing location. My wife and I had different testers and neither of them asked how or who drove the RV to the DMV location.

Simple driving test, a pre trip routine was done, and it must be done exactly as listed in the training materials then some driving in the stripped off DMV testing lot, with a couple of backing up tests, but if you can back into a rv spot in a tight campground, you probably wont have any issues with that. A 20 minute road trip to test your lane changing, turn signaling and use of mirrors then your done.

My recommendation is to go to the North Las Vegas location right away if you are in Southern Nevada to take both the written and driving parts of the test. Here is what the DMV web site says on driving motorhomes:

Non-Commercial Class A & B, Endorsement J

RV, boat and trailer owners need a Class A or B license to drive vehicles 26,000 pounds or heavier. An Endorsement J is needed to tow a vehicle over 10,000 GVWR. If the combination of the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle(s) exceed 26,000 pounds, a Class A license is required.


The 26,001 wording comes in the regular CDL section and here is what it says on them DMV CDL section of the website

You must have a Commercial Driver License (CDL) to drive a commercial motor vehicle.
A commercial motor vehicle is a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle —
  • Has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds; or
  • Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more; or
  • Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or
  • Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials that require placarding.
My understanding is that I can drive any (non-commercial) vehicle over or under 26,000 lbs and may tow anything that weighs under 10,000 lbs with my RV.

If you have a Nevada Class C license and your RV has GVWR of 26,000 you can drive it but couldn't tow anything as that would take you above the 26,001

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is online now   Reply With Quote

ada, driver

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.