Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never Evacuate Again

Hello all, Been a while since I have posted here but I feel the need to vent and maybe get some info or recommendations here. We live in Arcadia, Fl in a mobile home park and was in a mandatory evacuation. SO we decided to take our 2010 Fleetwood Class A on a little trip. Well in 8 days we lost our front TV, Then the blower motor on our front A/C went out, 2 days later the Generator stopped dead in the middle of the night after running 48 hours flawlessly, then to top it off just as we were getting back to the Fl. line on I 75 we blew the right rear tire with just 4000 miles. I check the date code and it was 26/14 even thought he dealer we bought the coach from in march of 2016 put new tires on the coach. It was almost too much. we could have stayed in a 5 star hotel much cheaper. my questions are, Has anyone here had this problem with the generator, I thing it is the fuel pump at the carb looks dry and when I push the prime button I get nothing in the carb I can see. I pulled the filter of the pump and blew through it but had no fuel there. Then I pulled the hose off the carb from the pump and hit the prime button and no fuel there. Is there another pump or filter between the tank and the pump. Further note the day after we stopped to rest I hit the start button and the generator fired up and ran 2 hours and quit again and had not run again. Also as for the tire I am getting nowere with Firestone with the tire they wan the old one. well it was impossible to bring it back it would not fit in any compartments and bringing inside was out of the question. It did $6K worth of damage as well as costing $514 to replace a 240/R70 19.5 on the road and I ended up with a Samsun made in China for a replacement. well I hope everyone else is having better luck with there RV's. I know things break but this was too much for an 8 day trip.

Thanks

Jeff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 08:17 PM   #2

How did your home park fare?

Old 09-24-2017, 08:17 PM   #3

Wow Jeff, tough breaks. I hope that things get better for you soon.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:18 PM   #4

I'm running Samson tires on my MH. So far really happy with them. Sounds like you've had bad luck. Be glad it wasn't one of your front steers that blew.
tommar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
what gen do you have
did you have more than 1/4 tank of gas
have you checked the breaker on the top of gen set
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:29 AM   #6
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by millred1 View Post
Well in 8 days we lost our front TV, Then the blower motor on our front A/C went out, 2 days later the Generator stopped dead in the middle of the night after running 48 hours flawlessly, then to top it off just as we were getting back to the Fl. line on I 75 we blew the right rear tire with just 4000 miles.
WOW, when it rains it pours right? Pun intended
• What happened to the TV?
• The blower on the AC may only need a capacitor and is DIY. Common thing that goes out. These AC's have 3 capacitors and I keep a spare for all 3. Here's more info. on that for ya:
Place to order parts:
316-832-4357, option 2

RVcomfort.com

I have 2 A/C Heat Pump A/C units on the roof of my Motorhome. They are Coleman MACH 3 PS HP ARC WHT, model #: 48058-876.

Fan Capacitor - Part No. 1499-5461… 12.72
Start Capacitor - Part No. 8333A9021….21.84
Run Capacitor - Part No. 1499-5681…….13.92

• As far as the generator goes, yes, be sure that you have at least 1/4 tank of gas or it will shut down automatically. But yeah, symptoms do sound like a fuel pump though. Replace both fuel pump & fuel filter from Amazon, both for about $90 and also a DIY as you know. While you're waiting for these to come in the mail, go to local auto parts store and buy 2' of 1/4" fuel line and a couple of new small clamps. You'll need those too. One last thing, I don't know when you performed your last 100hr. PM, but if it hasn't been done, do that too and exercise the generator monthly for 1 hr. with a full load on it to keep it healthy.

• Tire & MH damage - hopefully Insurance will cover this and you have a low deductible, but that sure doesn't help with all the hassle that will be. Be sure to always watch carefully that you're running proper PSI according to your weight. Most blow outs are caused by under pressured tires. I know it's more money, but you may want to invest in a TPMS. It's cheap insurance and will alert you to a problem a tire is having before it blows. Not getting on your case so don't take it that way, but others reading this thread...especially new RVer's...did you read what Jerry said here about the tires?
I checked the date code and it was 26/14 even though the dealer we bought the coach from in march of 2016 put new tires on the coach.
The dealer told him that they put new tires on the MH but didn't, obviously. So always, always CHECK any work that has been done on your MH—BEFORE—you pull out.

Hope all these repairs go well for you and now I know why you titled your post the way you did. You're probably saying to yourself..."we should of just stayed put".

Good luck.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A few things worth mentioning (or maybe not); 26/14 tires are still well within the generally acceptable age range; did the OP check the pressure before heading out or at anytime during the trip? I get the impression that the OP has been sitting awhile in the park with FHU prior to evacuating; if so, has he been exercising the generator at all during that time?

As to the question of whether to evacuate or just stay put; as FatChance asked; how did the park fare?
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the input all

As a follow up, as for the tv just got a new one at Walmart no big deal there, as for the A/C the motor was seized up stopped at Camping World in Ga. $104 no big deal either. it is in and working fine. the generator I am ordering a pump and filter today. seems to be the only culprit unless there is a crack in the line I cannot see. as for the tire Geico does not cover the tire only the damage with a $500 deductible. still seems to me a tire should not blow at 4K miles and only 3 years from Manufacture. and I checked the pressure that morning and was running 95# in the rear. yes I am very glad it was not a front tire. As for our home park We were very blessed as we had 105 MPH winds here and the eye wall of the hurricane passed right over our home, No damage to the home only blew the door off the shed. most every one else the same some shingles missing and a couple of porches damaged, All in all a blessing. BUT I will not put my family through evacuation again not knowing what was going on and all the damage was almost more than we could stand. I have 2 adult special needs kids that live with us and my wife has seizures so it was a very stresfull time indeed. thanks all for the input and I will follow up on the generator later.

Jeff
Old 09-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #9

How long had it been since the motorcoach had been driven/moved?
Old 09-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #10

Hi Jeff
While I certainly understand not wanting to evacuate next time (I didn't this time, but I was farther from the eye), I don't think you can blame the actual evacuation for the problems that you had.

Had you been out on a pleasure trip those same issues with the RV would likely have come up.

That said, I'm glad that it seems like it's all getting worked out.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Are they goodyear tires ?
They paid for all my repairs, tire, and damage when I sent the receipts and pics to them @ pdct@goodyear.com...

they asked for the tire just to evaluate it, but this was a long time ago and didn't require it. good luck
Old 09-25-2017, 11:57 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the input all

Some very important questions have been posted, The MH is used every month we take a 200 mile round trip. we use the generator each time so it has been well exercised. I had checked the tire Pressure that morning knowing we had 600 miles home. And yes these things would have happened on a pleasure trip just seems would have been a lot less stressful not waiting on the outcome of the storm at the same time. Thanks again all

Jeff
Old 09-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #13

Quote:
BUT I will not put my family through evacuation again not knowing what was going on and all the damage was almost more than we could stand. I have 2 adult special needs kids that live with us and my wife has seizures so it was a very stresfull time indeed. thanks all for the input and I will follow up on the generator later.

Jeff
How and when will you know 'what is going on' in enough time to evacuate?
Old 09-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Some very important questions have been posted, The MH is used every month we take a 200 mile round trip. we use the generator each time so it has been well exercised. I had checked the tire Pressure that morning knowing we had 600 miles home. And yes these things would have happened on a pleasure trip just seems would have been a lot less stressful not waiting on the outcome of the storm at the same time. Thanks again all

Jeff
When was the last time the generator was serviced? Did the generator give you any trouble codes? Every year I replace the air and oil filter. I also check the level periodically and make sure it is topped of properly. The culprit could be low fuel, low oil, or high temp reading. Without knowing the trouble codes when it quit, you are throwing darts at the board trying to hit the fix.

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote