Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #29
NXR

My situation is the same. Being permanently unemployed (still can't say the "r" word) we have no real schedules so that makes a delay more palatable. I do carry a spare for the dolly but my car does not have a spare tire or jack. So I had to buy a bottle jack and a lug wrench (actually a socket and extension for my torque wrench). I do run a TPMS sensor on both the dolly and the car rear wheels, though.

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 08:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
My situation is the same. Being permanently unemployed (still can't say the "r" word) we have no real schedules so that makes a delay more palatable. I do carry a spare for the dolly but my car does not have a spare tire or jack. So I had to buy a bottle jack and a lug wrench (actually a socket and extension for my torque wrench). I do run a TPMS sensor on both the dolly and the car rear wheels, though.

Ray
I bought a car a couple of years ago that doesn't have a spare and honestly, I don't know if it has a jack or not. It came with run-flats. Of course I ran over a large screw that stuck into the tire and the air started to leak out slowly.

I had it fixed and didn't know that you are NOT supposed to fix run-flats, replace only (apparently America's Tire didn't know either, dealer told me). After the 'fix' failed, I bought a new tire.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #31

On cross-country drive to El Paso TX, driving my 4x4 GMC Envoy I sped up to 85 mph to pass a couple of 18 wheelers,..... big mistake, I was not thinking about the high centrifugal force on my 13 year-old Michelins. The RF tire started coming apart, shaking quite a bit. I put on the spare tire (it was the original spare, new in 2007) and drove about 4 miles to the nothing town of Sierra Blanca,....on a Sunday afternoon. And, discovered the dead/dead battery on my ole flip-top cell phone. I ran out of options, and drove 100 miles to El Paso, AT 55 MPH. I bought 4 new Michelins and one new Cooper (spare).
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

I can pick up the tire without a rim, with some difficulty, but no way with the tire on a rim. Those tires are quite large and really not manageable without the proper tools, like a large breaker bar to wedge under the tire and lift it on to the hub, not least to say a jack capable of lifting the rear. (Yes, I know the MH levelers can lift the MH off the tires but that is a dangerous situation in my opinion.)
The solution is to carry a mounted spare (if you have the space) and pay for a "Roadside Assistance Plan" (like Goodsam or FMCA or Coachnet) then, if you have a flat, you call the Plan and they send someone out to change the tire.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #33

So I went out and had a chat with my tires about NOT blowing out on Sundays.

I'm not sure that they listened [emoji33]
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #34
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Did they at least wink back?
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #35

No, they hisssed at me. [emoji3]
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #36
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
The solution is to carry a mounted spare (if you have the space) and pay for a "Roadside Assistance Plan" (like Goodsam or FMCA or Coachnet) then, if you have a flat, you call the Plan and they send someone out to change the tire.
I have had a flat with no spare mounted or unmounted. Called a tire company, they dispatched there truck with a used tire to get me to my next stop a few miles away, ordered two new tires for the rear duals, they then installed them. Not one bit of a problem. My total cost including taxes and roadside service call was $1003. Not bad in my opinion.

I also don't have room for two tires that big. I have a road side assistance plan, mater of fact I have 3 belonging to different clubs.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:28 AM   #37

Same EXACT thing happened too me, bring my new to me sea breeze home form Ga.
I even brought a portable compressor with me to make sure I had 100 lbs. in all tires, still had a blow out due to a broken belt. I dropped AAA, my sister who drove me down there, dropped AAA, WILL NOT USE THAT COMPANY AGAIN!!
What is the best company to have???
Jimbmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbmann View Post
Same EXACT thing happened too me, bring my new to me sea breeze home form Ga.
I even brought a portable compressor with me to make sure I had 100 lbs. in all tires, still had a blow out due to a broken belt. I dropped AAA, my sister who drove me down there, dropped AAA, WILL NOT USE THAT COMPANY AGAIN!!
What is the best company to have???

When you rely on a third party to supply the roadside service, then your experience will vary with different situations, like location and time of day. The third party service has to rely on the tow service companies they have contracts with and some tow companies will be better than others. I prefer to be self reliant, whether it's the repair or contacting a local service on my own.
If I had to spend the night in breakdown mode, it would be by my choice only. I'm sure if enough $$ were offered, I would be moving in a short time.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alounsbe View Post
The only 24 hr tire place we could find in the area that had our tire size said his Sunday guy called in sick so we are supposed to call him at 6:00 in the morning to make arrangements believe me I made a lot of calls to no avail.
We have used Good Sam several times without an issue;only issue is the guy at Good Sam who handle the situation on a Sat was terrible;I found a garage with my tire & he still took 5 1/2 hrs not listening;I found my matching Goodyear tire & the idiot had them bring me a off brand & charged me the goodyear price;after the event I complained to Good Sam with solid documentation 14 pages and they reimbursed the entire amount including the cost of the tire;sometimes you have fight back. We have had good luck with Good Sam with the 4 or 5 breakdowns over the 30 yrs of RV every summer...
willbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #40

Quote:
We had a blowout this morning called AAA no real help there could not find any truck places open Sunday you know so we were able to limp to the next exit pulled into an abandoned gas station and will start calling around tomorrow morning sometimes you just can't win.
We try not to drive from Fri-Sun after breaking down on a Friday afternoon. We too limped into an abandoned gas station waiting for a Monday tow. Although the tow truck dispatcher forgot to put us on the list. Truck arrived Tuesday morning. I requested a flatbed, we're 39' 35,000 pounds and a dual rear wheel tow hook arrives. He dropped the drive shaft, picked up the front crushing the gen. exhaust during our 40 mile tow to hell. Still waiting for the claim to get rectified.
ABRootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #41

Blowouts can be stopped

Tires made in China are the major reason for blowouts. Look at video to learn more: https://youtu.be/Jt7x6g7LRNU
Coass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #42

Quote:
We had a blowout this morning called AAA no real help there could not find any truck places open Sunday you know so we were able to limp to the next exit pulled into an abandoned gas station and will start calling around tomorrow morning sometimes you just can't win.
Been there but thank goodness. DH could change the tire.
OhioBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote