Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Never have a blowout on Sunday

We had a blowout this morning called AAA no real help there could not find any truck places open Sunday you know so we were able to limp to the next exit pulled into an abandoned gas station and will start calling around tomorrow morning sometimes you just can't win.
alounsbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #2

That's why I carry a spare and the tools to change it. Flat tires never happen at a good time.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:13 PM   #3

Traveling on a Sunday or Holiday has always been Risky.

Your non commercial so many truck stops with 24/7 tire services will not help you out.

Sit back and relax. At least your off the road in a safe place? We Pray.

Good luck Monday.
Give us an update when you get back on the road.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
That's why I carry a spare and the tools to change it. Flat tires never happen at a good time.
This ^^^^
Old 10-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #5

That's the plan to chill until Monday the only bad part is that we were meeting my Wife's Sister at the campground and she is there now and we are not.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
coachnet?
i had several tire issues on sundays and coachnet always got us back on the road.

some not as fast as i wanted, but we did get rolling

cant imagine a 24/7 tire service couldn't not be found

be safe where you are parked
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:46 PM   #7

The only 24 hr tire place we could find in the area that had our tire size said his Sunday guy called in sick so we are supposed to call him at 6:00 in the morning to make arrangements believe me I made a lot of calls to no avail.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
May work for some but our front and tears are different sizes and would take quite a bit of space. Not to mention a lot of strength.

Tom
Old 10-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Easter Sunday we blew a tag tire in Killeen, Texas. Called road service, and 2 hours later, he showed up with a 2 ton jack, and 4 way spanner. He says that all he is provided with. I raised the tag axle with the rear jacks, and let him use my tools. It took him 15 minutes to change. I could have changed it myself in less time. I also carry a spare, 12 ton hydraulic jack, and large socket set. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by alounsbe View Post
That's the plan to chill until Monday the only bad part is that we were meeting my Wife's Sister at the campground and she is there now and we are not.
If the tire that blew was part of a dual set, the real bad part is that you now have one tire carrying twice the load it is supposed to and likely far in excess of its design limit.

I'd consider asking the tire person about this. If you're now parked, I'd absolutely use the jacks to try and get some of the weight off that surviving tire.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 10-07-2019, 05:31 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
He limped to the next exit...not overheating the tire. Yes the tire is flexing more during that time...has to increase the sq inches of contact area. Cement mixers do this all the time in sandy soil conditions...more surface area helps on not getting stuck. He didn’t hurt the one good tire as it’s excessive heat that hurts a tire.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:14 AM   #12

If you are stuck on the side of the road, the state police will help you locate someone to get you off the highway. You can put in a claim and argue about it later with the insurance company.
I carry an unmounted 19.5" spare which is easier to manhandle and store than a mounted tire. It is even possible to change the tire without removing the wheel if its a steering tire or an outer dually. If you have 22" tires it is not that easy to remove nuts torqued to 450# and muscle at 200# tire/wheel. Thats why most big class A's do not carry spares.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
If the tire that blew was part of a dual set, the real bad part is that you now have one tire carrying twice the load it is supposed to and likely far in excess of its design limit.

I'd consider asking the tire person about this. If you're now parked, I'd absolutely use the jacks to try and get some of the weight off that surviving tire.

FWIW,

Ray
If that was the case, every time you angled up a driveway apron or ran up a curb in a sharp turn, you would be overloading one tire. They can handle it.

Think of how much force is applied to each tire when you hit a crater size pot hole.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If that was the case, every time you angled up a driveway apron or ran up a curb in a sharp turn, you would be overloading one tire. They can handle it.

Think of how much force is applied to each tire when you hit a crater size pot hole.
Perhaps. The OP has not commented on what they meant by "limp" for distance and speed. Turns, potholes, whatever, are momentary events, not sustained ones and the other tire is still supporting some weight. Here's my math, which never was a strength of mine:

My rear axle weighs 14,600 lbs when fully loaded so each dual pair supports roughly 7,300 lbs.

Each dual tire pair is rated to support 7,510 lbs at 90 lbs psi. Each single tire is rated to support 3,980 lbs at 90 lbs psi.

One tire having zero air pressure means the other tire, which is rated at 3,980 pounds of load, is now supporting 7,300 lbs or 91% more weight than its design limit whether it's stationary or turning.

No matter how I figure it that is over-stressing the sidewalls significantly and we don't know how old the remaining tire is or how much mileage it has on it.

If I left one tire supporting the weight that two tires used to and this went on for many hours or overnight, I'd be replacing both tires. Yes, those pictures of the damage caused by tires shredding themselves are stuck in my mind.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Michelin XRV Inflation Chart.PNG
Views:	59
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	262803