Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #1

Never trust anyone ... but yourself.

I had a very close call two days ago exiting a campground in Carlsbad, NM. As I was poised to make a left turn onto a 4 lane highway there was a pickup pulling a camper in the right lane to my left signaling a right turn. He had a camper. I'm leaving a campground. I (stupidly) trusted his signal position and speed and pulled out to make my left turn. Next thing I heard squealing tires so I stopped and his rig passed not a foot in front of me directly into oncoming traffic lanes. He missed me by inches so in the end I guess we were both lucky, but here is what I took away from the incident. For my part, I should have ignored the position, type of vehicle and turn signal (he turned about 2 blocks farther up) and sat there until the road was clear. He made two mistakes - first, don't signal on a local street more than 1-200' before your turn. Second - NEVER swerve! It paid off for me in that his swerving avoided hitting me, BUT he could have had a head on with oncoming traffic and turned a fender bender into a tragedy. I know I learned my lesson - I don't know about the other guy. Be patient out there.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #2

Thank you for posting your experience. Waiting for the road to clear is sometimes challenging to my DH’s patience. (I drive because he is legally blind). Just drive, not in management. LOL
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #3

I constantly check around me for places to swerve if the other vehicle around me does something unplanned. This has saved my butt many times being able to swerve because I already knew that space was available. I would not swerve into a blind space.
Two years ago a oncoming car came into my lane while I was on my motorcycle with my wife. I swerved onto the shoulder and the car tailgating me took the oncoming car head on.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #4

As far as I'm concerned I don't take turn signal as the gospel truth. I look at it this way, EVERYONE is a crappy driver and as such. I pay very close attention to what they're doing. If they look at me as a crappy driver and pay attention to what I'm doing, that's OK with me.
Bottom line is this. It's dangerous out there and if you're head doesn't spin around like Linda Blair's did in the Exorcist then watch the road and your mirrors diligently.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:13 PM   #5

Driving rule No. 1, always watch out for the other guy. Driving rule No. 2, the other guy is always a bad driver and an idiot.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:20 PM   #6

I'm sorry but I see it entirely different. If I am 100-200 feet from my turn, I am already slowing down. Especially if I am in the MH or like the individual, pulling a trailer. I always like to give anyone behind me plenty of notice that I am turning. You made a huge mistake of assuming which we all know what that means. You almost caused a really bad wreck but want to blame the individual that wasn't doing anything wrong. You say you were on a local street which I am sure has many places to turn so you should never assume someone is turning where you are. I always wait until the person turning is actually starting their turn. I am glad no one was hurt and it seems you have learned a valuable lesson.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:26 PM   #7

I have seen people put on the right blinker, then turn left. I never trust anyones signal, and yield until they have left the roadway. Years of driving motorcycles taught me that one.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
No matter who is to blame for the potential catastrophe I for one am glad for the message and reminder. Thanks for posting. The wife and I used to ride motorcycles and I have to say that has helped us driving the coach. We don't allow ourselves to be in a hurry, don't trust the others around us to see us or help us, and when in doubt, sit and wait for the next opportunity to turn, change lanes, etc.

Thanks again for posting this.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:47 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by funmoneypit View Post
I'm sorry but I see it entirely different. If I am 100-200 feet from my turn, I am already slowing down. Especially if I am in the MH or like the individual, pulling a trailer. I always like to give anyone behind me plenty of notice that I am turning. You made a huge mistake of assuming which we all know what that means. You almost caused a really bad wreck but want to blame the individual that wasn't doing anything wrong. You say you were on a local street which I am sure has many places to turn so you should never assume someone is turning where you are. I always wait until the person turning is actually starting their turn. I am glad no one was hurt and it seems you have learned a valuable lesson.
That’s not the way it works. Slowing down is fine but you don’t turn on a signal until your turn is the next one. Bump the brake lights to give the people behind you a heads up.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I have seen people put on the right blinker, then turn left. I never trust anyones signal, and yield until they have left the roadway. Years of driving motorcycles taught me that one.
Agree 100%. Never trust anyone. Been on bikes for 50 years...
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:08 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I constantly check around me for places to swerve if the other vehicle around me does something unplanned. This has saved my butt many times being able to swerve because I already knew that space was available. I would not swerve into a blind space.
Two years ago a oncoming car came into my lane while I was on my motorcycle with my wife. I swerved onto the shoulder and the car tailgating me took the oncoming car head on.

I absolutely agree with grindstone and drive accordingly myself. I was not a pilot, but I was an air traffic controller, and situational awareness is essential to both jobs. Keeping an eye on the space available in the lane next to you is vitally important for the very example grindstone gave.

I try to drive assessing any possible threat and try to have a plan to avoid it if it actually happens. Here are some examples:

Possible threat: brake lights coming on ahead of the vehicle I'm following. Action: Lift foot from accelerator pedal.

Vehicle on an intersecting road at a speed that makes it appear it might not stop. Lift foot and check next lane for possible evasive action.

A speeder passing me in an unsafe manner. Back off and be ready in case he does something even worse.

An oncoming driver making an unwise or unsafe pass. Again, back off, scan the shoulder and roadside to determine if I can evade him if I had to.

When I'm driving my four-wheeler and a vehicle in front of me slows or stops unexpectedly. I glance in the rear view mirror to see if the driver following me sees what's going on. If the distance is closing rapidly, I look for a possible clear space to avoid both vehicles.

I know some will say I'm taking my eyes off the road, but believe me, with a little practice all it takes is a fraction of a second.

This is defensive driving. Unfortunately I don't believe it's been taught for years.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiakan View Post
That’s not the way it works. Slowing down is fine but you don’t turn on a signal until your turn is the next one. Bump the brake lights to give the people behind you a heads up.
I think you are wrong. A turn signal indicates, I am going to slow down. You don’t slow, then signal. The truck pulling the camper, has an extended stopping distance so he needs to signal a little early. Especially on a 4 lane if you are turning into a driveway. These days half the drivers are texting, and might not even see your brake tap.
As the other bikers know ride like you’re invisible, and everyone is out to kill you. And as an old guy, I know I am sometimes guilty of forgetting to shut my directional off. It happens.
Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:29 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by funmoneypit View Post

I must disagree with you. The driver should have anticipated the very real possibility that the stopped driver could interpret the flashing turn signal as an intention to turn at that intersection. Your idea of giving a following driver plenty of notice of a turn is normally a good thing, but if it might create a potential unsafe situation, I'd delay the turn signal until after passing the driver waiting to turn. The driver behind is responsible for following you safely and if he's paying attention he'll see what you're doing.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
No matter who is to blame for the potential catastrophe I for one am glad for the message and reminder. Thanks for posting. The wife and I used to ride motorcycles and I have to say that has helped us driving the coach. We don't allow ourselves to be in a hurry, don't trust the others around us to see us or help us, and when in doubt, sit and wait for the next opportunity to turn, change lanes, etc.

Thanks again for posting this.
I agree 100 %
I can also relate 100 %
Regardless of the ( other driver's actions )
We, ALL are individually accountable.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust