Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
If you want a FRED now, it seems that the RV mfgt's are moving toward Super C's on the Ford F550 and similar MDT cab chassis from Freightliner and Navistar. They are nice, but not the same as a Class A inside...IMHO.
We looked at a couple of new Dynamax super C's on the Freightliner chassis a few days ago. All I can say is "WOW." In a couple of years we may be buying one. DX3 by Dynamax - Features

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrngTrillium View Post
Do they currently make rear engine gassers? If not is someone trying to come out with one in the future?

Are Fred's dead? Is a ufo quieter/as powerful as a Fred? If Fred's are dead any reason why? Is there a chance they might cone back?

Is adding air ride to gas hard/ coat effective?

Quality of coach varies from make & model. I'm guessing you can find gassers with high interior quality, but there will be gives for the weight issue. Ie. aren't most high end gassers luxury vinyl tile vs ceramic?
The last Workhorse UFO chassis was built in 2009. GM stopped production of the 8.1L in 2010 (I think that is when they stopped). I don't have air ride or air brakes but don't miss what I never had. I have seen blurbs on an 8.8L by PSI but haven't seen any in production. I believe AMP? bought the Workhorse brand, maybe they can do something with PSI in the future to revive the UFO.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The main concern is power, chassis and running gear. Having had a gas then moving to a diesel the difference is fantastic. Weight limits are close to max on gas while only minimally being loaded. When you see the Freightliner Chassis being built and driving one there is simply no comparison. Just my opinion
Old 11-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think the gap can get that close with the ride and braking ability of a DP
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Well now.....

I guess that when you finally get where you are going that the only thing that matters is....floorplan . If the wife likes it then you will be a happy man.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #34

I'll bet the latest EPA standards for diesels didn't help DP sales. My last 2 coaches were DPs, when it comes to power and supporting a heavy rig nothing beats a diesel.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #35
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
We looked at a couple of new Dynamax super C's on the Freightliner chassis a few days ago. All I can say is "WOW." In a couple of years we may be buying one. DX3 by Dynamax - Features
20,000 lb hitch? What are you going to tow Sarah, the Bounder?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
It puzzles me about all the talk about the noise from FREDs. I drive diesel school buses that are all front diesels and they aren't noisy at all.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #37

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Many entry-to-mid level DP's use the Cummins ISB diesel which isn't much more powerful than the Ford or Chevy engines used in gas Class A's. The comparison between gas a diesel is a valid one when the engines being compared are comparable. However, IMHO there is no comparison between the larger diesels (for example, Cummins ISL or ISX or CAT C-12 or C-15) and any available gas engine. That's not a put-down of gas engines, just a statement of fact. But, of course, those engines usually come with a MH of a different price point.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
It puzzles me about all the talk about the noise from FREDs. I drive diesel school buses that are all front diesels and they aren't noisy at all.
Yep. Somebody said a FRED had to be noisy, and it stuck. Well, mine aint!!!
The excellent insulation on the engine compartment plus the quieter late-model diesels allow for normal conversation at cruise speed.

However, a FRED is not as heavy as a big DP nor a big gasser, thus, for this conversation it is moot.

But I am tired of FRED bashing.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I really like the DX3 - as I'm still trying to talk the DW into a bunkhouse so that the 2Labs can have their own "bedroom". What I don't like about the DX3 is the lack of kitchen counter and cabinet space. There are only a few drawers, a few shallow cabinets and no pantry. These items are a big negative for us ... but then again, we could probably convert the upper bunk into cabinet space that would solve most of those storage issues
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
Went to a large RV showroom and they had a some of new 2014 class A gas powered motorhomes from a variety of brands that had stacked washer and dryers, king beds, mid-coach televisions with fireplaces...etc. It seems like the new gas powered class A coaches have narrowed the gap with diesels pushers as far as floor plans and livability go.

I know the durability prize will always go to the diesel engine, but on the other hand I don't really see many used diesels for sale with over 100k miles on them, so is that really a huge advantage?

Given the price differences between them, the equation of gas vs diesel seems to have shifted a bit.

James
I tend to disagree the two are as far apart as they always have been. Yes gassers have a lot of the same amenities to make them look great but that's the only thing they have in common.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #41

I don't believe FRED in this thread includes class c diesels. Of coarse those will be as quiet as a school bus, ride in a class a.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #42
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are some opinions stated here that MUST be based on older gas powered RV's...Less safe? Poor ride? Poor braking?

I disagree with these points for the newer generations of gas powered RV's. Maybe the older chassis with carburated engines and drum brakes were a world away from a Diesel Pusher, but not so for newer chassis.

Our RV, on a Workhorse W24 rides like a luxury car...and the heavier our load, the better it rides. It has the BIGGEST Disc brakes I have ever seen up close on all 4 corners, with ABS and THEY WORK! I have had to panic stop in SoCal traffic and was more than impressed. These things make our gas powered RV very safe...plus there is a big ol' 8.1L V8 sitting between us and anything that might run head-on into us. I am pretty sure that a front slide out generator would not provide the same level of front end protection.

I am the first to say that Diesel RV's can have more power, and that is the real difference. The gap between gas and Diesel RV's regarding safety and similar other points has been narrowed by the quality in newer chassis offerings.

Safe travels to all

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, diesel, gas