Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Face it, it is all about the money. Who would rather have a gasser if money were no object? So those of us with a gasser rationalize why it works fine for us while secretly wishing we had a nice DP and could afford it. While those with a nice DP state how beautiful they are and how nice they ride because they can afford one. Weight = needed hp (not torque) to make it up the hill faster than the semis. 310 hp in my 20,500# rig will get me up the mountain as fast or faster than a 400 hp 35,000# DP, albeit it a lot noisier. And so goes the discussion. One issue I don't often see brought up is the apparent one of major (or minor) expensive mechanical failures in DP's requiring major repair downtime or expenditures. Seems like I see a lot more stories of expensive engine problems in DP's than I see in gassers. Not failures due to wear out, but often cooling issues and fuel related issues that require intervention. As far a interior quality of design, fit and finish, you get what you pay for, and you pay a lot more for most diesel pushers.

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I could have bought a DP for what I paid for my gasser. I wanted a gas Coach and that is what I bought.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #73
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I could have bought a DP but wanted a Toy Hauler...engine needs to be in front, and I don't really care for Class C's lower cab fronts over Class A's big screen windshield

The few FRED Toy Haulers came the 5.9 Cummins. It's a good engine, but I prefer having 8.1Liters. And I get better MPG than the same RV with the FRED.

Back to the OP...have gas coaches in many cases caught up to Diesels? I think so.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7ole View Post
face it, it is all about the money. Who would rather have a gasser if money were no object? So those of us with a gasser rationalize why it works fine for us while secretly wishing we had a nice dp and could afford it. While those with a nice dp state how beautiful they are and how nice they ride because they can afford one. Weight = needed hp (not torque) to make it up the hill faster than the semis. 310 hp in my 20,500# rig will get me up the mountain as fast or faster than a 400 hp 35,000# dp, albeit it a lot noisier. And so goes the discussion. One issue i don't often see brought up is the apparent one of major (or minor) expensive mechanical failures in dp's requiring major repair downtime or expenditures. Seems like i see a lot more stories of expensive engine problems in dp's than i see in gassers. Not failures due to wear out, but often cooling issues and fuel related issues that require intervention. As far a interior quality of design, fit and finish, you get what you pay for, and you pay a lot more for most diesel pushers.
i'll take that bet......
Old 11-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #75
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Back to the OP...have gas coaches in many cases caught up to Diesels? I think so.

Safe travels
there you go.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #76

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I for the life of me will never understand the diesel/DP vs Gasser battle. Since I own a gasser I suppose that makes me a genius and all the DP owners out there idiots. NOT.....what makes us all smart is buying what fits our budget/needs and enjoying it till we are no longer alive or healthy enough to do so.

My long term goal is to enjoy my current MH 33 ft gasser with 2 slides until we retire (9yrs) and then buy a used well cared for DP of 40 to 45 ft with four slides and all the bells and whistles. Oh wait does that make me stupid be cause I own a gasser now and will in the future buy a DP.

Why do people insist on trying to convince anyone that they are right and others are wrong?

Ok... More on point to the OP. I believe that most manufactures are stepping up their offerings to match the amenities that are found in a lot if DP's. They add more and fancier TV selections, stacked washer/dryers, residential refers, more countertop space, inverters, in house vacuum cleaners, etc, etc, etc. the MSRP,s have climbed to new highs but there is obviously a market for these up market gassers. Only the purchaser can determine if it fits their needs/wants/budget. And if they determine that it does it is not my business to tell them that they are wrong/dumb for making the choice that was right for them.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!!
This includes all you DP owners also....LOL.

I for one am grateful that I live in a country were I have the right and freedom to make my choice and have the financial ability to do so.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with double b ,whether it be a tent or a million dollar rig just get out and enjoy yourself.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #78

DoubleB hit it on the head! Happy Thanksgiving from a happy DP owner
Old 11-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #79

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One issue that has not been covered here is the importance of getting the rig on a truck scale. Get axles as well as all four corners with unit loaded as normal with a full tank of fuel. Compare to manufacture specs and most important is to adjust tire pressure to these weights. I think a lot of people would be surprised to see the actual weights.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #80

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfish View Post
One issue that has not been covered here is the importance of getting the rig on a truck scale. Get axles as well as all four corners with unit loaded as normal with a full tank of fuel. Compare to manufacture specs and most important is to adjust tire pressure to these weights. I think a lot of people would be surprised to see the actual weights.
I agree. Thought I was overloaded/unbalanced. I detoured to Livingston,Tx. to get a four corner weigh. The shop that put my tires on maxed out the air pressure in my tires (120#) and when I asked why they said they didn't know what I weighed so it was a liability issue if they went with a lower pressure. Turns out I am within only a few hundred lbs. at both sides short of perfect and am running well under front and rear axle ratings. Full fresh water, fuel and propane tanks still leave me with a 3K# cushion of CCC. Tire charts say 85#'s front and rear.Went with 95 rear and 90 steer. Noticeable improvement in ride and handling.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfish View Post
I'm guessing that was not covered because this is a thread about the fit and finish level of gas motorhomes coming closer to that of diesel, not proper tire pressure.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #82

I have to agree with doubleB. We had (I) had diesel envy and thought I had fallen in love with the Tiffin Breeze 32’. It seemed to be the right size for our present needs. We are still working and take 2 week trips at the most. At the dealership the closer we looked at the Breeze the more we fell out of love with it. We ended up buying a Winnebago Sightseer 33C that just happened to be on the showroom floor. We both fell in love with the floor plan. This MH fits our needs and pocket book and we couldn’t be happier with our choice. The fit, finish, construction, and amenities are equal to any entry level DP. I wouldn’t compare it to a top of the line 45 footer, but then again it is ½ to ¼ the cost.

Palehorse89 you may want to reconsider taking that bet. It is a combination of RPM and torque that equals a given HP. With the current 6.8 V10 at 362HP and 457lb.ft torque and the 15,000lb weight spread, you will lose. Just saying. I have been driving tractor trailers for over 35 years so have some knowledge on this subject. You are correct that when you get into the larger heavier MH’s, larger more powerful engines are required to comfortably power that vehicle. The current offering of gas engines can’t fulfil that need. They can put power plants in tractor trailers that will allow them to pull 80,000lbs up any grade out there without dropping a single mile per hour, but you can’t afford to run them. The main point is who cares, aren’t these recreational vehicles? Who is in a hurry, I know I’m not!

Happy Holidays everyone
rini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #83

Like to chime in I just bought a tmc daybreak bunk model and spent a couple days driving it and a palazzo 33 bunk model and yes the dp drives better brakes better as far as interior they are very close so all the money is in the engine and chassis for me I won't put the miles on to justify the 65000 diff plus that's is a lot of gas to put in the gasser so u have to get what works for u
Old 12-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #84

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rini2 View Post
I have to agree with doubleB. We had (I) had diesel envy and thought I had fallen in love with the Tiffin Breeze 32’. It seemed to be the right size for our present needs. We are still working and take 2 week trips at the most. At the dealership the closer we looked at the Breeze the more we fell out of love with it. We ended up buying a Winnebago Sightseer 33C that just happened to be on the showroom floor. We both fell in love with the floor plan. This MH fits our needs and pocket book and we couldn’t be happier with our choice. The fit, finish, construction, and amenities are equal to any entry level DP. I wouldn’t compare it to a top of the line 45 footer, but then again it is ½ to ¼ the cost.

Palehorse89 you may want to reconsider taking that bet. It is a combination of RPM and torque that equals a given HP. With the current 6.8 V10 at 362HP and 457lb.ft torque and the 15,000lb weight spread, you will lose. Just saying. I have been driving tractor trailers for over 35 years so have some knowledge on this subject. You are correct that when you get into the larger heavier MH’s, larger more powerful engines are required to comfortably power that vehicle. The current offering of gas engines can’t fulfil that need. They can put power plants in tractor trailers that will allow them to pull 80,000lbs up any grade out there without dropping a single mile per hour, but you can’t afford to run them. The main point is who cares, aren’t these recreational vehicles? Who is in a hurry, I know I’m not!

Happy Holidays everyone
I did think about it........I'll double it, load up your Rig(max towing capability as mine is really close to full load) with a Gas V-10 in it and the gas has 15 more hp but I have over double the torque(1050), I am not going to loose, I pass the Ford V-10's pulling fivers and bumper pulls all the time on long grades. I also was a otr driver and that is why I made the first bet.

Tags
cat, diesel, gas