Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #1

New 2014 gas coaches catching up to diesels?

Went to a large RV showroom and they had a some of new 2014 class A gas powered motorhomes from a variety of brands that had stacked washer and dryers, king beds, mid-coach televisions with fireplaces...etc. It seems like the new gas powered class A coaches have narrowed the gap with diesels pushers as far as floor plans and livability go.

I know the durability prize will always go to the diesel engine, but on the other hand I don't really see many used diesels for sale with over 100k miles on them, so is that really a huge advantage?

Given the price differences between them, the equation of gas vs diesel seems to have shifted a bit.

James
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #2

Floor plan and livability has indeed improved for all coach's, and that is a real plus today. Both gas and diesel rigs have really evolved in the last few years.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #3

That was one of the biggest challenges that our family faced when we transitioned out of our large FifthWheel toyahuler into a diesel pusher. Floorplan.

The DP floorplans seem to be so oriented towards couples. That being said we have adapted well.....having lots of space helps with our children and their friends.

I will say that we are amazed at the ingenuity that has started to come out in gas motorhome line-up. Still not enough to give up the diesel platform but a HUGE improvement to say the least.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Simple answer to me is Yes, I agree.

I have seen the interiors in larger gas power RV's get better and better!

The big difference that won't change is in power (GVWR and GCWR).
All new Class A motorhomes are riding on Ford chassis' with Triton V10's...the current max is 26,000LB GVWR and 30,000lb GCWR.

Of course there are the Super C's on gas F650 MDT's - but they are only slightly better with 30,000 LB GVWR.

If someone gets busy and brings an alternative to market (like the Spartan Extol - 8.8L, 430HP and GVWR up to 28,000LB?) then the gap will erode even more.
Spartan Chassis

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The problem is that floor plan is not the only consideration. If a gas and diesel MH have similar floor plans (they do) then look further. What types of materials are used for both? I suspect you will get much higher quality in the diesel MH. How much torque does the gas motor have compared to the diesel motor? No comparison here. The diesel can carry more weight and pull more weight than the gas MH. The chassis on the diesels are far stronger to allow the additional weight to be carried safely.

Comparing gas to diesel with floor plan alone is like comparing apples to oranges. They are both round. Now if you compare floor plan within a specific price point, well then yes the gas will win out because the diesels that are made better and can carry and pull more are definitely more expensive.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hello:

We have one of the 2014 gas motor homes. We know it's not a diesel pusher, but it was in our price point with all the amenities we need/want. We don't full time, and we didn't want to spend the money for a DP now, as we're both working still. I enjoy driving it, and we've had many fun trips since we got it in June.

When we go full time, we'll get another rig, probably a DP, but for now, our entry level gas MH is perfect.
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #7

Gas powered MH really have come a long way. There is still obviously the weight carrying, ride and torque advantage to diesel but I didn't know that they are up to 26,000lbs GVWR on Gas chassis now????

No wonder they can really improve the luxury level in these new ones. It's nice to see more and more choices for buyers. Obviously diesel isn't for everyone.
ohhwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I think luxury floorplans have always been available for gassers. IMO, other than the obvious chassis differences, the biggest difference will be size. Because of the weight limitations of the gas chassis, you'll be hard pressed to find even a 38' gasser but 45' DPs (max length allowed) are available from every manufacturer.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #9

I too recently switched from a Toyhauler to a MH, the main selling point for me was the DP has larger basement storage, air ride suspension, and exhaust breaking system(that I totally love). When shopping, I found they also hold their value more than a gasser.
2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
Gas powered MH really have come a long way. There is still obviously the weight carrying, ride and torque advantage to diesel but I didn't know that they are up to 26,000lbs GVWR on Gas chassis now????

No wonder they can really improve the luxury level in these new ones. It's nice to see more and more choices for buyers. Obviously diesel isn't for everyone.
I, too, have been looking carefully at all of this as I do research- trying to balance power/size/gas/dp vs ROI (return on investment) as well as comparing like models as much as is possible.

In my research found the Tiffin Allegro 36LA (gasser) models have a GCWR of 30,000 on a Ford chassis and a V10 engine. Not as high as a dp of similar size/length and less torque to climb hills I agree, but more than enough for our needs.

(Have you seen the Thor 37kt? )
RayAndLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #11

Canyon Star is 40' long

The Newmar Canyon Star 3956 is 39' 11" long and the GCWR is 30k. The interior made a big impression on me.

Here are the specs:
Canyon Star Floorplans | Newmar
Old 11-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #12

It's nothing new. The so called "gap" between a gas coach and a diesel widens and narrows, comes and goes, as you look at different manufactures, models, years, and so on.

An example of just what you noticed is my '04 Adventurer. An '04 Journey DP has same everything on top the chassis (same appliances, same cabinets, etc.), it's just the chassis that is different (and the price of course).

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
It's nothing new. The so called "gap" between a gas coach and a diesel widens and narrows, comes and goes, as you look at different manufactures, models, years, and so on.

An example of just what you noticed is my '04 Adventurer. An '04 Journey DP has same everything on top the chassis (same appliances, same cabinets, etc.), it's just the chassis that is different (and the price of course).
Same comment we can make about our Mountain Aire. Same everything as the DP except for the chassis of course. It works out great for us and is really a nice coach.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree the gap has shrunk. Just bought our 2014 bounder and the wife brought up trading it in the spring for a DP. We started browsing on Fleetwood's website and there is not an entry to mid level Fleetwood DP that I would consider simply because they don't offer a floor plan we like compared to ours. Now if I go up into the 41 to 45 range I can certainly find a floor plan and luxury I like. Point is when I compare a top of the line gas coach to an entry or mid level pusher, there isn't much difference. As far as how much I can carry, the gas will carry all I need. We are going to go DP but we are going to have to find the right floor plan first.

Tags
cat, diesel, gas