Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-09-2011, 04:43 AM   #15
Originally Posted by Dacotah View Post
Michelin uses a different size system than anyone else, that is why you change sizes. You want the same load ratting and the rolling diameter to be as close as possible to the old tires so the revs per mile is about the same. Michelin says their tires shoud be good for 10 years if ample tread and no fatigue cracks are found. Other brands have much shorter time recomendations because most their tires go on trucks, not motorhomes, and the miles add up quicker. Does anyone have a recomendation for where to find Toyo's in South Florida? there are no truck stores in our area, no truck stops, not even anywhere to air up motorhome tires over 60 psi. Thanks, DACOTAH
There is a TOYO dealership in Miami. Tire and Wheel Choice 305-599-0903. Maybe they can help you.

randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #16
Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
On the forums I seem to hear that Toyo tires cost less in the southwest part of the country.

Here in the northwest, Les Schwab gave me a price of $400 ea. (225-70-19.5) 12 ply. Thats $2400 bucks for 6 tires?

frederick w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #17
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have a Sam's club in your area get a quote from them on a set of Michelin's. We got a great price on a 235/80 22.5 for a spare from Sam's.
Mike, Janet & Duchess (cavalier King Charles)
2008 35B windsport, Brazel's rear TracBar, Koni shocks & Safe T plus steering
mikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
Frederick W Go down to Or(save sales tax), they must have quoted the wrong size. I, just A week ago I did the Toyo's in the 22.5's and was out the door at $2400 with bead balance all six included.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #19
If you are going to the Southwest Parkhouse tires is a good source for large tires. I bought four last week at their Escondido store. They are very well organized. I was in and out in 90 mins and they changed two tag tire valve stems for free. I bought 4 firestone tires. Less than a month old, made in USA, at about 1/3 less than Michelin and 1/6 less than Bridgestone. I could have had Yokohama tires for slightly less, but not made in USA. I have no complaints about the Michelin tires that I replaced at all, but times are hard and $$$ count. On a previous motor home I have very good luck with BF Goodrich.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:36 AM   #20
Commander, Before you go out and buy tires search on line and read up on RV tires which are in your motor home class. I'm not going to tell you who's tires to buy but I will tell you they must be RV tires. Rv rated tires are designed just for RV's and are made from a more oil based compound so as to not dry rot as quickly as truck tires. Tire shops that are not on the up and up will try to sell what they have in stock just to get rid of them. I had seen a tire shop in my area sell six regroovable tires to a 2006 Georgetown owner. It is also a fact that people buy tires on price not proper application which is foolish. Advice from me is to buy the proper tire for the proper application. I'm sure others will chime in and give you other advice but remember your safety is at hand.
370xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:36 AM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wherever you purchase them I would suggest one thing. Tell them you want to see the tires and look at the DOT code before they install them. Then, look at the DOT code and make sure they are not old shelf tires, but have a DOT date within 1 year.

The last four numbers of the DOT Code are the week and year of manufacture.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:48 AM   #22
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
I bought 4 firestone tires. Less than a month old, made in USA, at about 1/3 less than Michelin and 1/6 less than Bridgestone. I could have had Yokohama tires for slightly less, but not made in USA.
Firestone is owned by the Bridgestone Corp. which is a Japan based corporation, traded on the Tokyo stock exchange. Yes they do manufacture tires in the USA as well as many other countries worldwide

Goodyear is a USA based corporation traded on the NYSE, and they manufacture tires here and abroad too. The G670s on the front of our Signature say "Made In Luxembourg".

The $$$$ for the Sumitomo tires I have bought locally help to feed the family of my neighbor who owns the tire store where I bought them.

In the end, where does the $$$$ flow?

I'm just sayin

CURRENTLY MOTORHOMELESS!-Past MHs: 02 Monaco45'Sig,00Monaco43'Sig,99Monaco42'Exec,98Mona co42'Sig,98Newmar38'DSDP(pictured),88FW26'Jamboree .
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #23
Everyone has been very helpful!! Some of the suggestions for south florida only carry car tires and do not have a 22.5 mounting system even if they can order tires. Discount tire in Pompano beach has tires in stock and is a large Toyo dealer who also recommends Hancook for a lower price. I will check out their date codes before we buy anything. We are planning a 4000 mile trip in July so we need new rubber before we go. This is a good topic for all of us; there is much to learn about tires! DACOTAH
Dacotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #24
Originally Posted by j.smith View Post
The 235/80 R22.5 are unique to Michelin, the 245/75 R22.5 work out to be the closest match to the original 235/80s. They are a little wider but not enough to violate the minimum spacing for the rear duals. An added benefit is that most truck tire shops either carry or can get the Toyo M154s quickly. Riverside Tire got my 6 new tires in one day, try that with a Michelin 235/80.
Exactly, should you have an issue on the road the Toyo M154 brand and size is standard and easily available. I got my set of 6 tires installed, mounted, and balanced for $1,900 out the door. The are an excellent tire, smooth and quiet ride.

03 Winnebago Adventurer 37C

8.1 litre
simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote