Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2015, 12:36 AM   #1

"New" 77 Champion with gen and fridge issues.

Hey all, first time poster, nice to be here. I just bought a 77 27" Dodge Champion, 440-3 40K miles. It's very clean and original, new Edlebrock carb, 3" dual exhaust, runs fantastic. Rig has "a couple" ;-) of issues which I knew about when I bought it, and would greatly appreciate any help in seeking a remedy without throwing money at it. First issue is the fridge isn't working on either gas or electric. I haven't even tried it yet, just going on what the PO told me... but any preliminary "check this" advice would be greatly appreciated. I know that's about zero info for you guy's to go on, will have more specific info tomorrow. Next on the list is the Onan 5000, will start and run but only for a few seconds. First thing I planed to do is to change the oil, and probably take the carb out and clean it. I have heard to absolutely not remove the jets, I have no understanding of why though? I also "heard" something about some of the electrical components possibly just needing cleaning? Other than that it rides a little clunky, so it's down at the shop currently having a suspension/brake inspection. I had no incidents on my 150 mile trip home and was real happy things felt and sounded real good... I did though survive the trip on absolutely suicidal looking tires... cracks galore, the PO actually took his kids camping on those things. When it's back from the inspection I will be going over it with a fine tooth comb, but this is what I'm aware of at this point. Again, any help very much appreciated- thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 01:12 AM   #2

Glad to have you with us.
Could you post the fridge brand and model number , maybe we can get you a users guide and trouble shooting manual.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:25 AM   #3

Thank's Skip426, sure will get it tomorrow. Currently figuring out what to do about 6 new tires, wonder if Michelin fixed their RV tire (non)issue.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:32 AM   #4

Just starting a search myself, my coach has Michelins , rears are 10 years old with no sidewall checking, but they were manufactured in Spain, don't know ; haven't read anywhere ; if the sidewall checking issue varied by country of origin.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome-

As for the frig, WOW - Thats coming up on 40 years old....

A starting point would be to see if the heaters / burner is working. You probably need to manually select the mode. Select 110 volts AC, give it about 10 minutes then go around to the back of the frig (access panel outside) and feel around to see if anything in getting warm (hot). It will look like a large duct thing on the lower right side.

Take a couple photos of the frig and post them.

If the heating element is getting hot and the frig is level (very important on these older models) it should start getting cool inside in a couple hours.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:36 PM   #6

I think your MH has 16" tires. I used to have a 28" 1976 Allegro MH on a Dodge chassis that had 16" tires. I think it had a 342 Dodge HD truck engine. I bought B.F.Goodrich commercial T/A tires, I figured if UPS ran them they would be safe for me to run.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On the generator, lack of fuel flow will obviously cause it to shut off (if you have less than 1/4 tank of gas the generator will be sucking fumes) but so will low oil pressure and on many gensets if it fails to produce AC voltage after a few moments it will also shut down. Find the ID tag on the generator and the EXACT model number and Internet search for the manual which will have troubleshooting procedures.

Best of luck on your "new" Champion!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:31 AM   #8

Sorry about the vague nature of my post, not much info to go on, so apologies for that. It's a "Magnavox instamatic" gas/electric, could not find a model yet, but found this for starters Instamatic Refrigerator manual | Vintage Trailer Talk (hope it's ok to post a manual here). It's currently getting king pins and tires, will have it back end of the week, will post more then, thanks.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:33 AM   #9

19.5" on the tires, M500 chassis, getting six new ones... ain't sayin which ones tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I think your MH has 16" tires. I used to have a 28" 1976 Allegro MH on a Dodge chassis that had 16" tires. I think it had a 342 Dodge HD truck engine. I bought B.F.Goodrich commercial T/A tires, I figured if UPS ran them they would be safe for me to run.

Tags
fridge