Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #1
Thumbs down New Adventure

Hello all just signed in for the first time. This will sound like hundreds of other postings on bought a used motorhome everything was great according to the previous owner. After a short drive home from the deal the brakes are slow to stop lots of pedal travel , there is an odd howl coming from the brake like they are hanging up, driveline squeaking maybe a u joint and other odd noises shocks rattling in the front and others. The unit is a 1996 Itaska Sunrise 6.5 Turbo Diesel on a GM chassis with only 67000 km on it so it should be good... We bought the unit as our daughter and granddaughter wanted to try something other then the lake resort for vacations. The test weekend was the May long weekend we went to a campground close to home . A motor home 4 People produce waste. the unit has 3 tanks 2 grey 1 black having operated travel trailers in the past I know the process of dumping tanks the monitor showed tanks near full and we decided to dump between rainstorms. We dumped the black first then the grey for rinsing. Stayed another Day and decided to dump tanks one more time before going home. The monitor shows 2/3 of black water full I pulled the handle and nothing came out........ zero tried again nothing drained the grey and headed home. Since that weekend we have tried most things that we have been told would break up the swerving, additives that would break down the parts. Uphill down hills went thru 4 bags on ice yesterday driving around town looking like an idiot swerving etc 3 visits to the sani dump 1/2 tank of fuel nothing not a drop. We will try again this weekend as I have had to move on to another issue, While driving the motorhome becomes possessed a mind of its own goes full throttle spinning the rear tires and having to hold the brakes to keep from ramming things shut the engine off stopping and shaking my head restart all's well for ohhh 2 km the show starts again no power then full throttle again this happens 15 times before I get home do more research and find that I will have a PDM problem, oddly there was an odd part in side compartment I have never seen before hmmmm a used PDM.
So I will be visiting a local dealer Monday and buy the new improved bullet proof unit built by Stanadyne and relocating it to another postal code in order to keep it cool . There will a new Adventure to write about next week. I think the black water will not fix it self any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Family of Adventures

Anadventure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #2
Dumb question on the Black tank. If you used the MH for a number of days and then dumped both black and grey tanks, and all went well as in they dumped properly, are you sure there is enough in the black tank after 1 day to dump. My wife and I can spend close to a week and still not fill up the Black tank. Grey tank will fill before the black because of showers dishes and what not. You may just be looking at a faulty gauge that's reading 2/3 when empty. Our black tank is 40 gallons. 2/3 tank would be 26 gallons. That's a lot of toilet flushes in a day. You can take a stick, open the toilet valve to the tank. Stick the stick down the toilet until it hits the bottom of the tank. Remove the stick (carefully) and see how much uhhh "stuff" is actually in the tank.

In the event that it is actually 2/3 full and won't drain, I don't see an option that doesn't involve a mess. Open the blank tank valve, take a snake and see if you can get it past the clogg. You will know when and if that happens. I suggest removing the snake and closing that valve post haste I also reccomend having some method to contain the spillage that will occur.

The third option is a broken black tank dumbvalve. You will have to hook up to dump, and find a way to open the valve. Dump the tank, then replace the valve.

Bill & Denise
2014 Bay Star 3103 - 5 Star Tune
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Limited
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Sounds more like a sensor. Use it again for a weekend, dump and see what happens. Tank sensors are notorious for misreadings. You might have to bite the bullet and ignore it or put new sensors on the tank. Good luck.
Jerry, "EWC (SW)" USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder 505 HP C-12 1550 TQ
Allison 4000MH Ram 4X4 towed
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #4
Black Tank

Thanks for the response the challenge using a dipstick to check the tank is there is ledge inside of the tank that diverts the waste to the tank I have no straight shot at the bottom. The piping for the drain is only 1 1/2' coming out of the tank a 90 bend that runs about 6 feet then another 90 bend then the valve and a last 90 to the drain hose.
The other thought that the tank was not completely empty when we out the RV, more stuff that is solid slowly breaking up...
it may turn to a real sticky situation .Just thought would vaccum power attached to drain turn the vacuum on and listen to the sound that would change when the unit starts sucking , pull the hose off quickly and attaché the hose to the san dump. Hmmmm think it out over night
Anadventure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
FWIW I think I would start by using a bucket to partly fill the black tank through the toilet. Using the bucket as a measuring tool you will get a good idea how much is really in the tank then you will know which way your problem goes. Sensors or stuff.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:04 PM   #6
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW I think I would start by using a bucket to partly fill the black tank through the toilet. Using the bucket as a measuring tool you will get a good idea how much is really in the tank then you will know which way your problem goes. Sensors or stuff.
This. Often my black tank will just read 2/3 for days after I drain it. I only flush when I break camp, at which point I fill the tank via the flush port a few times until I get clean water coming out with no solids. That usually clears up the sensors.

Plan on putting some Garrett SeeLevel sensors on there. They are external so can't be fouled up by solids in the tank. It's certainly on my to-do list as camping with three ladies can fill the tank quickly.
Scatterbrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:31 AM   #7
Hi Anadventure1,
Welcome to IRV2. I've never seen a black tank drain that is only 1 1/2". I have seen gray tank drains that size. Are you sure you're trying to drain the black tank and not the gray.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:55 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Man, that rig is haunted! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:17 AM   #9
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Hi Anadventure1,
Welcome to IRV2. I've never seen a black tank drain that is only 1 1/2". I have seen gray tank drains that size. Are you sure you're trying to drain the black tank and not the gray.

Ditto, black through 1 1/2, don't think so.....?
Si, Sarah and Shelby the westie
2008 Damon Daybreak 3070
98 TJ, 4" lift, 31s, usual stuff
Dodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #10
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I hope you have the dependability out of that 6.5 Turbo GM Diesel that you're expecting, 'cause it was an absolutely awful and unreliable unit for me. Replaced valve springs TWICE (stupid me used OEM parts the first time). Turbo seals failed, requiring the turbo to be rebuilt. Transmission sensor failed sticking me in 2nd gear (only). The list goes on.

Good luck with it.

Brad Felmey
1998 Newmar Dutch Star M-3883 DP (Freightliner)
Soon to be full-time (est. late 2016)
Brad Felmey is online now   Reply With Quote