Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #1

New and looking to buy

Hello my family and I are looking to buy our first motor home any would like some help on what to chose. First some info on us and what we want. My wife and I have 3 kids, 12, 9, and 3. We just sold our 30ft travel trailer and want either a class C or class A motor home. My parents owned a class C some 20 years ago and I have driven it back then I have also been an over the road truck driver and have driven all over the county. We did a lot of camping in our trailer, 7-10 times a year, on short trips. I foresee many more longer trips in an MH.

OK what to buy? We are looking at used RVs 2000 -2003 around $20k- $27k range. MUST have at least 1 slide. (3 kids remember) we also don't want to be cramped in the bathroom. 30' - 35' length. We will probably pull a small car on longer trips.
So I guess we are in the vacationer class of RVs. Could you please share with me your choice (A or C) and why. BTW, my wife is leaning towards the Class C and I the A, but I'm paying so.....
Thanks for your response.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

This question has been explored numerous times. Take a look at some of the previous threads to see just what a group of diverse thoughts you will get on this subject. For me, there is no question, Class A. Not only will you have more room inside, there will be more storage for your stuff. My wife and I filled our storage with stuff, although we are FT. With 3 kids you will also need room for stuff.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the right rig for your needs! Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #5

For me, I could never get used to the cramped cab and overhead bunk. I love driving my class A. Love the view.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Class C is nice for a family that is just doing weekend camping. The overhead bunk is nice for an extra bed you don't have to make up and take down daily. However the overhead is also prone to leaking especially if it has the large window. Its gonna be hard to find an older Class C with a slide.

Class A gives you the picture window vista as you drive down the road. Nicer ride. More storage and towing (usually) capacity.

In your price and year range you should be able to find lots of Class A gassers with 1 or 2 slides.

Start looking. When you find the right one, you'll know it. Best of luck!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #7

I'm in the stage of getting ready to purchase also. We moved from class C to class A due to space. Although we don't have young children we have grandkids we take with us for our off roading trips. My wife didn't like the the overhead bunks but we have adult friends we know that they love sleeping up there and say it's very roomy. We felt the class A had a lot more storage space below. We found a Damon Challenger that has 2 slides the dinette booth for kids sleeping and 2 sofas one has a pull out bed and one has the jack knife. Also a queen bed in the bedroom. In your the price range I would think you can find many units with a slide or 2.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcblake View Post
Hello my family and I are looking to buy our first motor home any would like some help on what to chose. First some info on us and what we want. My wife and I have 3 kids, 12, 9, and 3. We just sold our 30ft travel trailer and want either a class C or class A motor home. My parents owned a class C some 20 years ago and I have driven it back then I have also been an over the road truck driver and have driven all over the county. We did a lot of camping in our trailer, 7-10 times a year, on short trips. I foresee many more longer trips in an MH.

OK what to buy? We are looking at used RVs 2000 -2003 around $20k- $27k range. MUST have at least 1 slide. (3 kids remember) we also don't want to be cramped in the bathroom. 30' - 35' length. We will probably pull a small car on longer trips.
So I guess we are in the vacationer class of RVs. Could you please share with me your choice (A or C) and why. BTW, my wife is leaning towards the Class C and I the A, but I'm paying so.....
Thanks for your response.
Your kids are in for a real treat!! We started RV'ing when our kids were around the same age as yours. One is in high school now and two are in college, When we went to pick up our new coach last month, they all wanted to go ( Fall break) How many High School and college students still want to hang with the parents in the RV? It's because of the special bond that developed as we all saw America together. There are a lot of coaches in your price range that will work for you, and with your OTR driving experience, you're just gonna have a whole lot of fun!! If you have decent mechanical abilities, IMHO, get an older class A diesel.

Good luck
Old 11-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Class A or Class C? One of the biggest questions in RVing. If it were simple there would only be one type manufactured. We've had both since 1993 and for me there is only one choice and that is the A. There is a ton more outside storage, more towing capacity and a better ride in the majority of the Class A models. The class C's will get better fuel mileage though. In the end you need to find the floor plan and price that is right for you and you'll love the life style. JMO.....

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #10

What to look for.

Thank you everyone for you reply. I think we have decided on a class A MH for sure. We have looked at lots of MH's in our price range and narrowed it down to a few. Unfortunately will need to drive several hours just to go look. My question is, is there anything in particular we should be looking for when examining a used MH? What would a dealer try to hide from us? These questions may not be in the right forum, if so please direct me to the right place. Thanks again.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #11

Quote:
My question is, is there anything in particular we should be looking for when examining a used MH? What would a dealer try to hide from us? These questions may not be in the right forum, if so please direct me to the right place. Thanks again.

Being an OTR driver, you know the abuse the road can give vehicles. LOOK AT EVERYTHING with a fine tooth comb. When we were looking, I found I don't think I looked overhead much. Then I realized I needed to look at the ceilings (and in corners) more. I started to notice mold and discoloration from previous leaks in some of the units.
Look for delamination, soft spots, broken skylights, give it a good physical. Don't be afraid to crawl in, over, around, under, or anywhere else you want to look, it's your money and they are salesmen, don't get screwed.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #12

What I found by looking in some coaches a small area where the wall cover was not stuck to the wall. Figured out it was wet behind it maybe not rotted but it had been leaking. Look for that on the inside and out. I'm just learning about rubber roofs or other. You said you didn't want to be cramped in the bathroom. We found some class A that had larger bathroom but you gave up some storage for it.. Were getting ready to do a deal on one late this week before we did we had a separate RV service center do a pre-inspection. This cost us 300 but figured it was cheep insurance to have someone independent go thru the whole thing. They found a laundry list of things all very small and many things I would not have found and the dealer is taking care of all of them. I figured that 300 saved me a couple hundred in the long run as all that stuff adds up and this was the MH we had decided was the one for us so we wanted to be more comfortable that we weren't missing stuff. Plus they were able to check charging system for output running, plugged in and gen running. We had made what we thought was a good deal but had I been thinking I would have told the dealer if we don't buy the coach then I will pay the 300 if I do then you pay the 300. Just a thought.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
Your kids are in for a real treat!! We started RV'ing when our kids were around the same age as yours. One is in high school now and two are in college, When we went to pick up our new coach last month, they all wanted to go ( Fall break) How many High School and college students still want to hang with the parents in the RV? It's because of the special bond that developed as we all saw America together. There are a lot of coaches in your price range that will work for you, and with your OTR driving experience, you're just gonna have a whole lot of fun!! If you have decent mechanical abilities, IMHO, get an older class A diesel.

Good luck
Heck I would be your kid too if you let me ride in the King Aire. I agree with the older Class A diesel. The motor itself will run forever if the maintenance was done right. Then you take the inside and turn it into what you want.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Thank you everyone for you reply. I think we have decided on a class A MH for sure. We have looked at lots of MH's in our price range and narrowed it down to a few. Unfortunately will need to drive several hours just to go look. My question is, is there anything in particular we should be looking for when examining a used MH? What would a dealer try to hide from us? These questions may not be in the right forum, if so please direct me to the right place. Thanks again.
Another thing to consider is hiring an independent RV inspector to help go over the coach with you and point out things that need work or might be no-no's in your purchase. The money you pay them could mean the difference between a cream puff and a rotten egg.

Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote