Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
New and need advice

Hello Everyone. New to your site and to RV's. I am in the process of purchasing a 1997 Fleetwood Storm 31'. The vehicle is in great shape and has 32632 miles. Owner has taken great care of it.The owner told me the roof leaked above the drv side window at one time and it warped the interior panel next to the drv seat and above the drv window. I keep reading about delamination. A small raised places in this area on the outside wall. I would appreciate any and all thoughts. Have a wonderful day.

RoadStar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Delamination is a slightly raised area of the outer skin, usually caused by moisture in the sidewalls that causes the glue to deteriorate and loosen the fiberglass skin. It's just a cosmetic problem unless very extensive in size.

There is a related concern, though. Moisture in the sidewall can also result in dry rot of the luan backing and the wooden structural members used in some rigs. Most newer RVs have metal frames, but I don't know about the 97 Storm.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
On the outside it is delam. on the inside it is just warping of the paneling. if you have stopped the leak, i would not be worried about the area that is warped if it is small and not very noticeable. starting in the early 90's almost all the manuf. went to steel or aluminum framing. Of course keep an eye on the area and make sure you don't still have a leak.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Leaking inside

If the water was leaking on the inside and it bulged out a bit it may be similar to the problem I had. On the driver's side there were no "weep holes" stamped into the frame like there was on the passenger's side. So the water in the window frame leaked insidel I took my portable drill and punched out a bunch of holes on the outside of the frame and all was ok. The water weeped outside of the window. Then when it was dry, I used a black magic maker and covered over all of the light colored holes and the work is not visible.
Joe from Ct.
johnsonjm209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
Thanks for everyones input. I give me a better understanding of the problem. Maybe one day iI will be able to return the help. Looking forward to the RV experience and new friends.
RoadStar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
One problem with roof leaks is that where the leak is on the inside is not always where the leak is on the outside. I have a friend with a Safari, he had a leak that dripped through his rear A/C (it was not the A/C that was leaking) and on to the bed...the leak was up front around the front A/C.
Blaster 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our last motorhome was a 1998 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 31W. It went back to the factory in Riverside CA twice and wound up having all of the sidewalls replaced for delamination. Apparently Fleetwood considered this a serious enough problem to spend over $40,000 (under warranty) to replace the sidewalls. When I picked up the motorhome they told me that I had the only Southwind Storm with Gell Coat Fiberglass side walls instead of "Mindy Board" as they referred to the original side wall material.
I noticed the delamination issue shortly after we purchased it new in 1998. In my opinion Fleetwood tried to save money by using a inexpensive sidewall material and it did not work out to well for Fleetwood.
Fleetwood treated us very nicely and seemed to really care about customer service.

2007 Winnebago Voyage 35L, W24
Retired and Having Fun
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote