Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to VAGABOND JIM
New & Need Help

Hey Guys and Gals,

I am seriously looking at a 2005 32' Tiffin Alegro with 10K mi. Vortec and 5spd Allison trans. I would appreciate ANY observations on the mfg (whom I don't know) and absolutely anything else that could be related. If I get this rig I will be asking all kinds of stupid questions in future and I assure you all I'll be able to add some pretty unusual expertise on travel worldwide and other stuff.

Thank You all so much:
VAGABOND JIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGABOND JIM View Post
Hey Guys and Gals,

I am seriously looking at a 2005 32' Tiffin Alegro with 10K mi. Vortec and 5spd Allison trans. I would appreciate ANY observations on the mfg (whom I don't know) and absolutely anything else that could be related. If I get this rig I will be asking all kinds of stupid questions in future and I assure you all I'll be able to add some pretty unusual expertise on travel worldwide and other stuff.

Thank You all so much:
Welcome to iRV2.com! You come to the right place for all things RV.

We have both a Tiffin owner's forum and a Workhorse chassis forum, so you can find lots of info and opinions here.

IMO, you can do a LOT worse than a Tiffin house on a Workhorse chassis. Tiffin is in Red Bay, AL and one of America's leading builders of class A motorhomes. They have an excellent reputation for taking care of their customers long after the warranty is over. Workhorse built the best gas chassis using the 8.1L and Allison tranny combo, but sadly they are no longer in business.

FWIW, Tiffin made both an Allegro BAY and an Allegro "open road", with the BAY being the more expensive model with higher end amenities. Workhorse made both a P32 and a W-20/22 series chassis and there are significant differences between them. If you determine which Tiffin model and which chassis model you are looking at, you can get better feedback.

Also, IMO, an 8 year old coach with only 10,000 miles may not be as good as that may seem. That indicates very little use, and while that may be good for the interior wear & tear perspective, it isn't good for a medium duty truck chassis to sit parked for most of it life. Things go bad from what is commonly called "lot rot"

Feel free to ask all the questions you want. Again, WELCOME!
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy Jim and welcome. Tiffin builds a great coach and has a good reputation. You might check out the Tiffin Owner's section of the board and ask more specific questions.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #4

Brother-in-law had an 05, 35' Tiffin, 22W ? with the 8.1 Allison Combo, and was very happy . Only one little problem , and the 32 might not have this issue, The Cargo Carrying Capacity was very low less than 1600lbs, if memory serves, every time he hit the scales he was within 100lbs of GVWR. No fun having all the cargo space that a class A provides if you have to weigh everything you put in to avoid overloading.
Make sure the 32' has a CCC of at least 2500 lbs. or you'll always be worried about weight.
Also inquire about brake recalls, there were two, the first one didn't fix the issues they were having, and without the recalls even a low mile unit could have worn out brakes.
And check the tires ( date codes ) original tires on a 9 year old unit need to be replaced .
Old 06-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You'll like the motor in that coach. It has a lot of power and gets decent gas mileage if you keep your foot out of it. The Workhorse chassis' had a lot of issues with their brakes that were repaired under a recall program that took years to implement.

I tried to see what the Tiffen archives stated, but they show both Ford and Workhorse chassis info, but no specific chassis size. Looking at other sites, it looks like the coach your looking at has a W20 chassis which is one that had brake issues. Make sure they've been repaired. If they have, it would be a great coach.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have owned 2 Tiffin Allegro Open Roads. The only things I can think of to check are the brakes which they had a recall on, the Dometic refrigerator recall and some of the Workhorse chassis had a problem with the windshield wipers not shutting off in wet weather.

Tiffin stands behind their coaches even if you are not the original owner. Check out the Tiffin RV Network for more info.

Tiffin RV Network

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to VAGABOND JIM
Really, really, really thank you guys. I'll be able to do some of my own research now but at the price I'm being given on this rig ($40K) and its condition (yes the tires have great tread but sidewall cracks) I do believe I'll own it by the end of the day. I can see I'll be a regular on this site.

VAGABOND JIM
VAGABOND JIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGABOND JIM View Post
Really, really, really thank you guys. I'll be able to do some of my own research now but at the price I'm being given on this rig ($40K) and its condition (yes the tires have great tread but sidewall cracks) I do believe I'll own it by the end of the day. I can see I'll be a regular on this site.

VAGABOND JIM
Sorry, but IMO, if you add the $3-4,000.00 needed for 6 new tires, the price you seem to be excited about isn't all that great for an 8 YO Allegro. See if you can negotiate a deal to at least split the cost of the tires. If you get me the last 8 digits of the chassis vin #, I can get you the build sheet and check for any chassis recalls.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Our previous MH was a 2004 Allegro 32BA and it was on the W20 chassis. We had the brake recall issue which we took care of. Ours had the Dometic fridge which I thought was great. The fridge with all the fire dangers was the Norcold (or not-so-cold as it is better known). The only problems we had with ours was the generator fuel lines which had to be replaced with age, and a cracked skylight over the shower also caused by age. We really enjoyed that MH a lot - a rock solid performer for us.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin is a well built motorhome. I met Bob Tiffin at two different RV shows and he remembered my name (shows the kind of people you are dealing with). If I didn't own a Newmar I would be in a Tiffin.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #11

Ed, G. I'm glad you brought up the cost of the new skins, and I hope he caught it in time so he might be able to drop the price some. Other wise, it did sound like a great rig, just a tad high in the $$$$$.
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote