Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
New Batteries - My purchase choice and install

Battery posts are all over the board here and after reading a ton of them I didn't really know where to post, so here's a new battery thread.
I just replaced my 4 house batteries, had mixed age and brand in place earlier and they don't hold a good charge. This is a new coach to me also so the decision to replace all four was a no brainer as I don't want any headaches down the road.
I purchased 4 Interstate GC2 XHD 232Ahr 6 volt batteries (vs Trojan T-105) I get a good discount at Interstate, so the GC2 XHDs cost me $109 each.
The UT2400s he had in stock had a terminal that wasn't the best config for my app, so I passed on those. (@$15 more ea) Asked the Interstate rep where these batteries are made. Both the GC2s and the UT2400 are made in Mexico. Interstate has many of there batteries now made in Mexico vs China sourced, There has been quality issues from China but Interstate still has and does source product made in China but less today than a few years ago.
I Re-finished the battery tray. Cleaned it up first, then used Rustoleum's rust conversion paint on the rusty tray and finished up with flat black.
I used a plastic coat spray on the terminals and wire lugs. I haven't see this stuff used for this application before. I'll post down the road and give an update to see if this was a good idea or not. I did take pics of the install, not sure where to post them.

2005 Kountry Star DP 3354
2000 Coachman 245RKS TT
2002 PT Cruiser on Tow Master dolly w/surge brakes
Chuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Sounds like you did a great job and should have many years of reliable battery service!

Jeff & Sandy on Lake Conroe
2016 Newmar Essex 4519
2013 FJ Cruiser 4x4 Toad
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A very good choice I will say.

I went with DEKA, equivlent battery, Two reasons.
ONE, DEKA are still made in the USA by East Penn. far as I know they are the only US manufacturer using US refined Lead (They own the smelter).

TWO: And this is the more important: The nearest battery store is a DEKA store, that's what they sell.

My Expierence with East Penn in the past was a pair of MK-AGM's. and .. Well, i'm hoping for a better result with the non-AGM's I have now. (Expecting it in fact).. But it is one of the reasons I am not an AGM fan
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds to me like you did a great job, just make sure to keep them clean and dry otherwise you will get grounding problems as battery acid is a good conductor of electricity.
Berniece & Russell with LilBit a Netherland Dwarf rabbit
1987 Southwind, 1995 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4 toad
Life in the fast lane? No thanks! We will stop and smell the flowers at every chance.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Now all you have to do when the fluid goes down a little is add 4 oz of mineral oil to
each cell and you will be ahead of the curve.
1999 Trade Winds 7371 Cat 3126B w/current upgrades
1990 D 250 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote

batteries, install, purchase