Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New Battery Purchase

I am going to buy a new battery. My previous one is loosing and not keeping a charge. It's 7-8 years old.
My good friend checked his Consumer Reports site and told me that a good Sears battery is rated very high.
I went to Sears and looked at the high end batteries. The young man was very helpfu. I asked him what the small label on the side was that indicated a couple of months ago. He told me that was when they recharged the battery. I asked him about the other small labels indicating a month in 09. He said that was the date of manufacture of the battery. I told him I was concerned that the battery was now two years old and I was paying top price for it. He said that they continue to recharge them and keep them up to snuff. I asked him if he would buy a two year old battery if he thought he could get a new one. He didn't think he would.
Of course, let's face it, neither he nor I knew what we were talking about. I said I would think about it and come back to him.

After all that, is a battery like a tire? Do you look for a recent manufacture date or take the sales guy's word for it that the 2 year old batter is just as good as new. It has a 3 year warantee on it, but this particular battery will be five years old in 3 years.

Again, I look to you guys(&girls) for the answer. (right or wrong)

Joe from Ct.
johnsonjm209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
I am sure all things have a life span and batteries life spans seem to be on timers these days. buy it new

Casa Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
I would never buy an "OLD" Battery. I have always tried to find the newest battery on the rack even if it means moving all of the ones in front. It is my money!
I did notice a curious practice done at a Auto Zone store near me recently.
I went to buy a Battery for my sons' car, I found the correct one with a yellow sticker with 1/11 on it. As I looked at the one behind it and behind that one for 5 more, they all had the same sticker. Curious I asked the Clerk he told me that was the date the store received the Battery. Clearly the ones in back with the same sticker were Dusty and appeared to have been there some time. Hmmmmmmm!
Seems to me to be a new way of renewing stock. But I could be wrong.
BTW I have bought my last three car Batteries from Auto Zone and have been very pleased with their Dura-last line. Perhaps just an employee who misunderstood rotation of stock.
2001 Monaco Dynasty
Barrier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
Shelf Life

All bateries have a shelf life.

An AGM or VRLA battery does not like to sit for 6 months, it can be fatal.

If the battery is allowed to self discharge it can damage the plates and if you do not keep the receipt the date code on the stickeris the one used.

So always try to get the fresh stock.

Autozone has a good battery line at a good price, Sams club has better price if you have one/.
TQ60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Freightliner Owners Club

Are you looking for a starting battery or a house battery?
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
As I recall batteries start to sulfate after 2-3 months - trickle charge may mitigate those issues but why take a chance when you can buy a bona fide new battery from almost anyone.
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Hi johnsonjm209,
A battery does have a shelf life. Like tires, batteries last longer when used an properly maintained. Sitting in a store (or a dealer lot) the battery gets no use and is, most likely, not properly maintained. Anyone who has purchased a "new" motor coach that is model or two or three years old can tell you the batteries are one of the first things to go bad.

For me, I purchase my batteries at a local AC Delco store. Their stock turns over monthly, if not weekly. The local Battery + store should also have a good turn over of stock.

Look for a battery no more than a couple of months old. They are around, get the Yellow Pages out an let your fingers do the walking.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the "old days" where your only choice was flooded wet cells, he batteries were often shipped "Dry Charged" The shelf life of such a battery is..... Rather long.

With VLRA batteries (maintenance free including AGM) it is possible to do that.. .. I've read the manual for AGM's shipped that way.

However I do not think Sears does it that way.. In fact I have yet to see any evidence of a battery seller doing it that way.

And as others have said.. Once the liquid is added... Shelf life clock starts ticking fairly fast.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

It is a starting (chassis) battery.
Joe from Ct.
johnsonjm209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

For the chassis battery I much prefer the Interstate Workaholic Batteries for commercial trucks.
Heavyduty Truck Batteries - Interstate Batteries
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
For the chassis battery I much prefer the Interstate Workaholic Batteries for commercial trucks.
Heavyduty Truck Batteries - Interstate Batteries
Interstate, many DieHard (Sears), and many Everstart (Walmart) as well as replacement batteries for Toyota, Honda and Nissan are manufactured by Johnson Controls. Johnson supplies over 50% of the replacement market, and most of their batteries are decent price/performance units. I buy at WalMart because I have seen a shallow inventory that turns over fast in my local store. This means FRESH. I won't buy a battery that is more than 2 months old, period.

I don't buy the story that Sears maintains their stock. I know of people who have bought new Sears batteries that went dead within a few days because they had an alternator problem. They then took them back for another, and that battery was recharged and put back on the shelf as new - even though it had been fully discharged, which reduces its life. Always inspect the terminals, and pass on one that looks like it has been connected.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I believe there are three major manufactures of batteries and a few small ones. The three major ones are Delphi, Exide and as said Johnson Controls Industries. Delphi makes some EverStart models sold in Walmart and AC Delco. Johnson Control Industries makes Duralast seen in Autozone stores, Diehard - sold in Sears, Kirkland - the Costco brand, Motorcraft - which Ford sells, some of the EverStarts, and Interstate. Exide makes Exide batteries, Champion, Napa and even a percentage of the EverStart batteries

Even if several batteries are made by the same company they are designed and built to different specifications. If not then all the battery tests in magazines like Consumers Report test results would be the same and if thet are all the same then what is the point of different batteries companies.
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
I just picked up a battery;; AT Walmart; It was the same cr.amps and 50% lessthen at a well knowen auto shop;; WM. the way to go;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:11 AM   #14
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
My understanding is that "AGM's" are activated at manufacture and have an extended shelf life without additional charging.

seasonedsole is offline   Reply With Quote