Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #1

New buyer

We are a family of 7 and looking for a diesel class A but we have some questions:
1. Best brand to look for
2. Good used RV dealers in the Memphis, TN area
Thank you
Mrspinky5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome! Do you have a budget? That would help as there is no shortage of opinions here. So many helpful people and posts that you'll have trouble sorting through them all. Knowing what you want to spend, whether or not you want bunks, etc. will help people bring some focus for you.

Good luck to you!
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club

Welcome to IRV2!

Most recommendations are to first find a floor plan you like. There are many opinions as to "best" RV, but a lot depends on budget. Others will chime in as well - it's a friendly forum, full of people with lots of experience. Glad you joined us!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New buyer

First of all, Welcome!!

1. Best brand. This will depend to some degree on how you plan to use it. A family of 7 will put a lot of wear and tear on any coach you wind up with. Living full time in a MH will necessitate a large and well built machine to survive the daily usage. A family camping half a dozen times per year and taking one long trip could be well served by something less than top quality.

Of Memphis RV dealers I know little. I note there is a Camping World nearby. Based on anecdotal evidence only, unless you are a very assertive, very knowledgable, and well experienced RV buyer, do not go there. Your experience will be unsatisfactory.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:41 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New buyer

The three in the area are Camping World in Olive Branch right off US-78, Davis Motorhome Mart off Brooks Rd in Memphis, and Southaven RV in Southaven off I-55 at Church Rd.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:10 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
We bought our Entegra from Southaven; they also sell Newmar. They appear to have a large number of used Class As. Their yearly RV and boat open house is coming up in early February. They are right along I55 at the Church Rd exit (opposite side of I55 from the new Tanger Mall).
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:01 AM   #7

Being a family of seven, I would think you should start with a floor plan first. Not many will offer sleeping for that many. A sleeper couch can handle a couple, a convertible dinette, maybe two small children, then you have the master bedroom for the parents. If my addition is correct, that's six. I suppose an air mattress on the floor can handle the 7th, but there wouldn't be that much floor space left. You'll probably have to find a model with bunk beds, sleeper sofa, dinette bed, and of course the master bedroom. An option might be a tent for a couple or more kids. If I was one of the children I'd probably prefer the tent. Good luck on your search.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:17 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
We are a family of 7
That many in such a small space is going to be the challenge. I would shoot for a bunk bed model, so at least there is dedicated bed space for 4, and I guess bath and a half would be important so everyone isn't queued up on a single bath/shower. Make sure you have plenty of basement storage, so you can carry and setup as much outdoor space as possible, try to get everyone out of the MH. Assume the toad will also need to be larger/heavier as well, so pay attention to weight limitations (CCC and tow).
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #9

I can tell you from having grandson, son, & D-I-L with us for 3 weeks this past summer that pulling out the sofas each night and then undoing them each morning was getting old fast. Is it doable? Yes, but for short periods of time and knowing that there is an end in sight. So, I would definitely find a bunk model or a model with stationery sleeping arrangements for as many as possible. It can't be said enough to be very careful of the weight capacity and storage as you are going to have a lot of stuff to carry.

Another thing to think about is laundry. We have a stacked unit (as opposed to the combo unit that washes and dries). I was always vehemently opposed to not having laundry facilities in our coach. For me, that was a deal breaker. Our washer broke this summer when all 5 of us were together. We used the washers at each CG and were able to dry in our coach. I realized that it really wasn't a big deal to use the facilities at the CG. I guess it will depend on the type of CG you'll be staying as to whether they have enough washers/dryers to accommodate you and everyone else. Going to a laundromat is always an option, too. Some forgo the washer/dryer in order to have more storage.

Good luck and have fun searching!
Old 01-03-2016, 06:18 PM   #10

I agree with the posters so far - finding a coach for a family of 7 will be a challenge. I would focus on the floor plan because I do not know if you find many that will work.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:26 PM   #11

We would love to see used options, how old is too old?
Old 01-03-2016, 10:27 PM   #12

Thank you for your remark on camping world. We will proceed with caution
Old 01-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #13

Thank you
Old 01-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #14

Thank you victory blue! Do you anything about Davis motor mart? We were thinking of looking there too

Tags
new buyer