Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #1

New buyer asking opinions please

I have narrowed my choice to 3 units and would welcome opinions since this is my first rig.

1. 2006 Allegro, one owner 2 slides, upgraded with two a/c's and 7kw gen 29 foot ford engine ford chassis
2. 2003 winnebago Adventure, 35 feet Chevy workhorse
3. 2004 Itasca sunrise 33 foot Chevy workhorse

All three have around 60,000 miles and appear to be in good condition
I am partial to the Allegro because it is a one owner and has all records and the upgrades, but it is the smallest. Has on dinette set just the couch

Any comments good or bad are appreciated Thanks. Doug

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Out of the three what floor plan do you like the most ?
Have you driven all three ?

Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #3

Go BIG. More room and it can get a bit cramped on a small unit. The resale is better on a big rig than a smaller one.

Are you living alone or with a wife or GF? If just you, I would still opt for a larger unit.

Just my honest opinion.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #4

I have not driven any of them yet. I'm sure it will help my decision when I do. The whinny had some water damage in the passenger seat area that was repaired so i looked it over pretty good and see no sign of damage. It probably has the best floorplan Was a little Leary of the under carriage air conditioner but I will drive it first. 35 feet would be the max I'd be comfortable with Your right about the size tho. I see many of the smaller units on the lots longer.. I considered for just the two of us 30 feet would be ok and I may get a better price on it because it is smaller. They have a bounder on the lot but I've read some bad reviews on them Tiffin and Winnebago seem to appeal to me.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #5

Doug, which ever one you choose, make sure the tires aren't over 4 years old(Date will be right on the tire) if they are, you'll be in store to buying new ones at a cost of 2800. up to 3600. depending on what you want. MOO here, but go as big as you can, you can allways use the storage space. With a workhorse chassie, you'll get the allison trans also.
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Unionville, Tn.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smsudad View Post
I have not driven any of them yet. I'm sure it will help my decision when I do. The whinny had some water damage in the passenger seat area that was repaired so i looked it over pretty good and see no sign of damage. It probably has the best floorplan Was a little Leary of the under carriage air conditioner but I will drive it first. 35 feet would be the max I'd be comfortable with Your right about the size tho. I see many of the smaller units on the lots longer.. I considered for just the two of us 30 feet would be ok and I may get a better price on it because it is smaller. They have a bounder on the lot but I've read some bad reviews on them Tiffin and Winnebago seem to appeal to me.
You might want to check on the availability of repair parts for the under carriage air conditioning unit. I seem to recall somewhere that they quit making that unit and parts were hard to come by. Not sure where I read that or how accurate it was but you might want to check it out for future reference.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorgan6375 View Post
Doug, which ever one you choose, make sure the tires aren't over 4 years old(Date will be right on the tire) if they are, you'll be in store to buying new ones at a cost of 2800. up to 3600. depending on what you want. MOO here, but go as big as you can, you can allways use the storage space. With a workhorse chassie, you'll get the allison trans also.
Why over 4 years. The tire manufacturers recommend 8 and there is a lot of discussion about the validity of that. I bought a used motorhome and the tires were 8 years old. They still had plenty of tread on them and no weather cracking. I went ahead and bought new front tires to be on the safe side. When we put the new ones on we examined the old ones very carefully. There was no internal cracking or any sign of damage on either tire. I am still running the old ones. I have a tire monitoring system on them to watch for any abnormal heat build up or loss of pressure. So far they are working excellent.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's your decision but, if it were me, I would go with #1, the Allegro. I like smaller RV's and it looks like, from the upgrades you described, that this one was well maintained. It's also the newest one.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are so many Bounders out there that it's inevitable you'll read something bad about them, keep looking and you'll read bad about all of them.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #10

Thanks mike. And sorry John and any bounder owners , I don,t know enough about RV's to make any opinion.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks mike. And sorry John and any bounder owners , I don,t know enough about RV's to make any opinion.
We forgive you. (And we love our Bounder; highly recommend.) My personal opinion about selecting an RV is to go with the floorplan you like best, assuming you feel that build quality is comparable. You will be living in the RV much more than driving. Almost all motorhomes have the same types of systems and appliances, so there isn't a lot of difference there. Drive the ones you are considering, test all the slides, the levelers, the generator, the plumbing, open the cabinets, look underneath the chassis for rust, etc. Check the tire dates. Ask if there are maintenance records. Choose the one you really like the feel of, and go have fun. (And do look closer at that Bounder...it's built as well as any of those others you are considering. )

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I should have said all makes of MH, did not make myself clear when I said all of them. I just wanted to make sure you did not shortchange yourself.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I have narrowed my choice to 3 units and would welcome opinions since this is my first rig.

1. 2006 Allegro, one owner 2 slides, upgraded with two a/c's and 7kw gen 29 foot ford engine ford chassis
2. 2003 winnebago Adventure, 35 feet Chevy workhorse
3. 2004 Itasca sunrise 33 foot Chevy workhorse

All three have around 60,000 miles and appear to be in good condition
I am partial to the Allegro because it is a one owner and has all records and the upgrades, but it is the smallest. Has on dinette set just the couch

Any comments good or bad are appreciated Thanks. Doug
It's all about the floorplan and what you are comfortable in. As far as the chassis, records are a good thing to have but don't always guarantee a trouble free unit. Do your homework, make a selection and then have it inspected by someone you have some trust in. The folks in this forum can help you with your many questions that you will ask. You should ask all the question you have and then sort out the good from the bad. Good luck.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #14

I agree with all the folks who say "go with the floor plan you like" (or in our case, the floor plan the DW liked). We traded our 2004 Jayco 29' class C for a 2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V with the ford V10, had 9200 miles on it. We love the two slides and the room. We travel with 2 small dogs and 1 or 2 grandkids at any given time. We liked the extra room, and my DW loves the "electric couch" on the Sunrise that makes into a fairly comfortable almost queen sized bed. Because the coach was older, we went through it thoroughly and worked with the dealer to fix those things that were the most expensive or that I felt I couldn't do myself. Just finished a 3000 mile round trip to southern Utah and everything worked fine, had a good trip with no hassles. Funny thing, we're already looking at newer, bigger models, maybe a DP.