Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #1

Smile New buyer suggestions!

I am in the market for a used (2005 +/-) Class A short diesel 32-34 foot due to driveway limits and budget.
I'd like to pull a car trailer with our Outback and maybe an utv, so towing is a concern what is why I am thinking a diesel over gas. I'd really love some suggestions before I make a purchase, financing options too! I am retiring in Dec and spending the first part of 2014 in the South. Thanks in advance!
Highmiles77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Not a lot of short diesels out there. Actual lengths of around 36' are generally the shortest in a full size class A. Since you want to pull a car trailer, you are going to need to look at the ones with the larger engines/towing capacity - Cummins ISC and ISL powered units. Most of the smaller Cummins ISB powered units are limited to 5000 lb towing.

Good luck on your search. BTW New or Used?
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmiles77 View Post
I am in the market for a used (2005 +/-) Class A short diesel 32-34 foot due to driveway limits and budget. I'd like to pull a car trailer with our Outback and maybe an utv, so towing is a concern what is why I am thinking a diesel over gas. I'd really love some suggestions before I make a purchase, financing options too! I am retiring in Dec and spending the first part of 2014 in the South. Thanks in advance!
In that time frame the Winnebago Journey is available as short as 32'. By sure to check the max tow rating.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #4

Country coach also made a 32'.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Becks is correct, Country Coach made at least 3 models at 32-34 feet.

I believe they were the Allure, Inspire and at one time the Magna. Anyhow,
here is an example, though a 2002 vintage.

2002 Country Coach Intrigue, Coos Bay OR - 110925118 - RVTrader.com

Can't go wrong with the fit and finish of a Country Coach.

Luck,
Bob
Bigbluedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Not a lot of short diesels out there. Actual lengths of around 36' are generally the shortest in a full size class A. Since you want to pull a car trailer, you are going to need to look at the ones with the larger engines/towing capacity - Cummins ISC and ISL powered units. Most of the smaller Cummins ISB powered units are limited to 5000 lb towing.

Good luck on your search. BTW New or Used?
Agree.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #7

Several Nice Short coaches available

High miles, I am looking at the same size motorhome you are and have found several nice ones available. Alpine 34FDDS,Newmar Ventana ,Tiffin,Winabego,Country Coach all have a shorter coach model. Some are newer ones that seem to be going smaller due to the fuel prices. You do have to look at the tow ratings closely as a lot have scrimped on the transmission and engine combinations to cut cost. I have been looking and driving different ones to try and find the one for me. You can look on RVT.com,RV Trader and other sites with the length and years to see what is available and start your search and go drive and research for the one that suits your needs.

I am still looking and driving!
Vtxbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would encourage you to look at towing capacity carefully, and total GCWR and maybe look at alternative for storing instead of the driveway. Outside storage shouldn't be prohibitive (depending on where you live) and you may find a little larger coach more useful for living space besides possible increased towing and GCWR? A light trailer can weigh 1,500-2,000 lbs and vehicle easily 3,500 lbs.

I would look at your budget first, then maybe you need to go a little older model year in order to find your size and floor plan to fit your needs/desires.

I would not be afraid to look at little older models than 2005, either gas or diesel, but for towing the diesel will probably work for your needs a little more. Diesels after 2000 should have mostly 2 slides and probably 10,000 towing capacity but make sure you verify the towing capacity. Good luck in your search.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Just thought I'd mention my 2004 37' Newmar Mountain Aire that is for sale on this site. Circumstances in our lives have changed thus it is up for sale. A great two-owner coach with many upgrades and options. 66,425 miles.

Although I have never towed with it (only had the coach just over a year) the prior original owner towed across the states a couple of times without issues. I believe the GMC 8.1 allison transmission and workhorse 22,000 GVWR chassis (22.5" wheels) is about the best combination of the gassers in this year range.

I drove it from Boise, ID in September to where we are now in Virginia and averaged from 7-9 mpg. Coming over the great divide power was plentiful.

I just lowered the price another $2,400 to $52,500 O.B.O. If you are interested call me: Gary at 503 302 3626 - thanks for your consideration.

The coach is located in Gainsville, VA - We are headed back to Boise after the first of the year and could drive the coach to your location if interested.

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote