Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys
Anyone can make a efficient or a inefficient converter/charger. In industry it's called "Design to Costs" marketing sets a price point to sell the unit at and the bean counters set the margin, this all backs down to the engineers to design it in these limits. The cost of manufacturing, R&D amortization, warrantee costs, and company overhead will determine what components and how many go in the unit. China doesn't mean cheep or no good. By the same token made in America or Germany doesn’t mean high quality or better efficiency. The target market pretty much dictates the design.
Good point!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpadave View Post
Could I have gotten a bigger charger? I just replaced it with the amp etc off the one I took out.....
You did fine. These are designed to run every 12v item in the coach, plus have plenty of amps left to charge the batteries. Mine was originally 50amp in '99. I replaced it with a 45amp (smallest I could get) Progressive Dynamics. I had already converted all my lights to LED and both TVs to 12v LED. I probably don't pull 5 amps with everything on, except when the water pump runs. Had I had a 45 footer with a zillion halogen bulbs, 2000w inverter and 6 batteries, I would have got a 85amp.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51
I'm seeing them for under $200. The Progressive Dynamics 9260 would have been my first choice and about the same price. They have an additional automatic Desulfation Mode and a remote controller. Second choice would have neen an IOTA model.
Does the progressive dynamics 9260 get hot like this cheng? I'm seriously thinking about unhooking it, and taking it back to camping world!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpadave

Does the progressive dynamics 9260 get hot like this cheng? I'm seriously thinking about unhooking it, and taking it back to camping world!
Actually, I've never seen or heard my fan run. So I've never had a reason to feel it. I have to contribute this to the small load I put on it. All my lights are LED as are the 2 12v TVs. I also have no inverter, so no 120v appliances are putting anything on it. Mine is a PD9245 (45amp) and I doubt I ever pull more than 15amps.

If your 55-60 amp WFCO is getting hot and the fan comes on often, then I have to assume you are giving it a workout. So I doubt if a PD would run cooler, but I really don't know. If you are getting close to maximum amps, then a PD9280 might be a better choice.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51

Actually, I've never seen or heard my fan run. So I've never had a reason to feel it. I have to contribute this to the small load I put on it. All my lights are LED as are the 2 12v TVs. I also have no inverter, so no 120v appliances are putting anything on it. Mine is a PD9245 (45amp) and I doubt I ever pull more than 15amps.

If your 55-60 amp WFCO is getting hot and the fan comes on often, then I have to assume you are giving it a workout. So I doubt if a PD would run cooler, but I really don't know. If you are getting close to maximum amps, then a PD9280 might be a better choice.
Clyon51: actually that's what bothers me, I'm not using it or camping. It's sitting in the carport hooked up to the 50 amp plug in my building. No lights on, nothing. I could see where it might hear up with a load of lights etc, but I guess it's only job while it's just sitting out there is keeping the batteries charged. And there both new. I just don't like having something out in my mh while it's in storage, building up that kinda heat. I would swap it in a second if I knew for sure there was one that didnt get so hot. Maybe I'm way to paranoid and the old one was hot too, never felt it. : head bang!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Home

Their distributor. Looks like more Chinese stuff. Personally I'd stick with know brands like Progressive Dynamics and IOTA.

Ken
Old 09-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #21

Just ordered the progressive dynamics 9200 60 amp converter from tweetys.com to change out the Chang converter I just installed. Hope camping world will return this " hot" piece of Chinese manure!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I don't blame you for swapping it out if it was hot just maintaning the batteries. China made or not, it shouldn't do that and I would claim it's defective.

BTW, I just checked my PD9200 for heat, it was barely detectable it was warmer than the air temp.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I think you'll be well satisfied with the Progressive Dynamics converter. I changed the converter out in my previous 5th wheel to a PD9160 back in 2000 (with Charge Wizard), and my current 5th wheel came with a PD9180 to which I added a Charge Wizard. Neither of them ever gave the slightest hint of a problem, and I just changed out the original 6VDC batteries in the current 5th wheel this summer after 8+ years of service.

As far as I'm concerned, Progressive Dynamics is the gold standard in RV power converters.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #24

Well got the new progressive dynamics 9200 and pendant delivered yesterday. Took me a little over an hour to install it. Mainly because the ground for this one was on the opposite side do I had to run get a longer #6 grounding wire. Anyways it's seems so much better made that the WFCO chang converter I changed out. This pd one is cool to the touch. And had to turn every 12volt light on in mh to even get the fan to come on. Now I hope camping world will take this Chang converter back. Will find out in morning........
Old 09-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dave, just checking in to see if CW accepted the defective converter for you.... Sure hope so, for your sake. Still, it seems you did a really good thing by swapping it out!
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy
Dave, just checking in to see if CW accepted the defective converter for you.... Sure hope so, for your sake. Still, it seems you did a really good thing by swapping it out!
Yeah, they actually gave me know problem. I told them that after it being hooked up for three weeks I didn't like how hot it stayed. They gave me refund of $230.00, and of course I had to by the dometic portable ice maker for 249.00 on the way out! Been camping at Ocala Rv resort all weekend, motorhome is working 100% and haven't had to buy 1 single bag of ice!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpadave

Yeah, they actually gave me know problem. I told them that after it being hooked up for three weeks I didn't like how hot it stayed. They gave me refund of $230.00, and of course I had to by the dometic portable ice maker for 249.00 on the way out! Been camping at Ocala Rv resort all weekend, motorhome is working 100% and haven't had to buy 1 single bag of ice!
No problem that is....
Old 10-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #28

"I had to buy", that is.... Damn iphone that over thinks things. Lol!