Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #1

New Cheng 55 amp converter/ charger

2004 national seabreeze 1311
I recently had my 55 amp charger changed out. I have noticed that it seems really hot to the touch. I couldn't tell you if my old one was or not, but have checked on it a few times since my Rv tech installed it. Any insight would be appreciated. It is mounted in one of the outside compartments. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It should not be hot. Sounds like the cooling fan is not operating. I would turn everything on then monitor it to see if the fan ever comes on.

Too bad you didn't consult here for a converter replacement. Those are made in China and not too reliable.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Agree on the fan issue, warm that's OK shows it's working really hot not so much if it gets too hot it will shut itself down to prevent burning up at least that what it's supposed to do
Old 09-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #4

I shopped around and went for a more expensive one thinking it would be better. Camping world 235.00
Old 09-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I'm seeing them for under $200. The Progressive Dynamics 9260 would have been my first choice and about the same price. They have an additional automatic Desulfation Mode and a remote controller. Second choice would have neen an IOTA model.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
What charger did you get?
Old 09-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpadave View Post
2004 national seabreeze 1311
I recently had my 55 amp charger changed out. I have noticed that it seems really hot to the touch. I couldn't tell you if my old one was or not, but have checked on it a few times since my Rv tech installed it. Any insight would be appreciated. It is mounted in one of the outside compartments. Thanks!
55 AMPS at 12 VDC is almost 700 Watts, so at full load or close to it, it will get HOT without proper cooling. If the unit is 80% efficient than it will be dissipating about 150 Watts inside the box, at 90% it will be dissipating about 70 Watts. The fan is required and a good air flow is necessary to keep it cool. Make sure the compartment has enough ventilation and the fan is working.

The cost of the converter/charger is proportional to the efficiency, the lower the efficiency the hotter it runs. Efficiency is a measure of the power delivered to your systems verses the power it takes to do the inverting or converting inside the box. So the more efficent the inverter/charger is the less it consumes to deliver power to the load and the cooler it runs.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

A charger will run hot if the battery is bad, i.e. continuously demanding a high amp charge. If the charger fan runs but the unit is still hot, you probably have at least one bad battery (low internal resistance).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightriderrv
What charger did you get?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2514736217.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	530.0 KB
ID:	26100
Old 09-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer
A charger will run hot if the battery is bad, i.e. continuously demanding a high amp charge. If the charger fan runs but the unit is still hot, you probably have at least one bad battery (low internal resistance).
I just changed both 6 volt house batteries at the time I put converter/ charger in. I was thinking maybe it's working harder for a few days while it gets batteries fully charged. Sorry I should of mentioned that in my original post.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #11

Could I have gotten a bigger charger? I just replaced it with the amp etc off the one I took out.....
Old 09-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would went with a Progressive Dynamics those WFCO charger I never liked them they were problematic years ago and I've swapped many out for the Progressive Dynamics chargers. But thats just my view on them some might have them and never had a issue
Old 09-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #13

Well went out today and turned some lights on, went back out and fan was running on charger. After a few minutes turned lights off, went back out and fan was off. So I guess fan is working. Is Chinese really considered cheap like it used to be! I have a Chinese scooter I haul on the back of my mh, best scooter I have ever owned. Typing this from my iPhone, in mho the greatest phone ever made , aren't they made in China ????
Old 09-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Anyone can make a efficient or a inefficient converter/charger. In industry it's called "Design to Costs" marketing sets a price point to sell the unit at and the bean counters set the margin, this all backs down to the engineers to design it in these limits. The cost of manufacturing, R&D amortization, warrantee costs, and company overhead will determine what components and how many go in the unit. China doesn't mean cheep or no good. By the same token made in America or Germany doesn’t mean high quality or better efficiency. The target market pretty much dictates the design.