Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
My wife and I have a used Georgetown 375xl. We love it! One thing we didn't like was the washer/dryer. Useless!!! 1 pound of clothes, 6 hours and your T-shirt, underware and socks come out really clean! We got rid of it and replaced it with a dishwasher. They are lighter ( no cement block balancer) and it gets used every second or third day.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and

I don't have direct experience with the rigs you mention and since you didn't ask, I won't try to talk you out of buying new. I would only suggest that your research include the available cargo carrying capacity on the rigs you mention and assessing how that will fit your needs.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many thanks to all who replied - you've given us a lot to think about, including looking at gently used motorhomes.

I'm curious about the washer/dryers now. Are there problems with specific brands/models/types? We had already decided that we wanted a vented model because of problems we heard about the ventless dryers. We were thinking about a combination unit as opposed to separate units - any consensus out there? We weren't expecting the same level of performance as our home appliances.

In doing further research today, I have noticed a wide disparity in the amount of external/internal storage on some of these units, including some that weren't previously on our list.

I haven't heard from any Thor owners - are they fairly reliable, or are they something to be avoided? I certainly like the price point on some of their models, but I'm also not interested in giving up quality for a few less dollars.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra1 View Post
We started out with an older Winnebago and then traded up to a Thor Outlaw as we wanted to bring our Harley with us. Good luck with your search.
How do you like your Thor? There were a few models that we liked, including the Hurrica/Windsport and the Challenger. Any information is appreciated.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Also, when you say the Bounder is at the top of your price range, please consider that you should usually be able to negotiate 20-30% off of the "sticker" price. Good luck and have fun.
I've never paid retail price for any motor vehicle of any type that I've owned, and I have no intention of starting now. My wife finds it amusing to watch the salespeople squirm :-)
Old 09-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Just a comment on what one of the other posters said A combination washer dryer is useless as mentioned , however we now have a Simplicity separate washer and dryer and we use it every other day and would not leave home without them. I also agree on looking for a 1 or 2 year old unit. And as some one else said you should get at least 25% of of list. price.
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl

How do you like your Thor? There were a few models that we liked, including the Hurrica/Windsport and the Challenger. Any information is appreciated.
So far no issues but we are going to visit our son in texas for turkey day. I will surely have more to comment after that two week trip.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #22

Fun dilemma isn't it! We have a '06 Thor Windsport 36Z, which is the bath and a half model. We love the floor plan and understand why you want that layout. Every unit we look at either new or used, we compare to what we have and they usually come up short. We have had our coach nearly a year now. When we purchased it, it was a 5 year old 10k miles pristine unit and we paid about half of original list price. We have been on two major trips and many weekenders. The bath and half really makes it more livable and the private rear master bath is wonderful. We have had zero mechanical issues to date(although we all know that day will come as it is a motorhome and eventually you will have issues). I have done some upgrades and custom touches. But nothing else other than oil and filters. The Ford V10 runs like a dream and I have no problem with grades or cruising with the big boys. We weigh in at 21,300 ready to roll and tow a 4200 lb Jeep Liberty. On our current trip we averaged nearly 7 mpg from Indy to the Smokies. Our best so far. Now you asked about Thor experience and this is ours. I will say though that we looked at new Thor Windsports at the Louisville Good Sam rally and we were not very impressed with the new ones. In our model year the Windsport was clearly a step up from the entry level Hurricanes. We feel that there is little difference noe between the two lines. Mechanically most of the gasses are comparable, find the floor plan that you love and decide if you are happy with the other features and build quality and go for it. You will love the life!
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #23

We would not be without our combo washer-dryer works great we do dry a lot of our clothes on a rack outside. Faster and less wrinkles.
Ubetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tanstaafl,

Why not consider the Winnebago Adventurer 37-F. It has all you mentioned and the quality is a step above all 3 makes you listed. In addition, a king bed that we've found much easier than a queen. Just our 2 cents...
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:28 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2004 Bounder and had only past owner installed problems, all very minor and easely fixed. The 34E has a great floor plan and was Bounders most popular floor plan. We also have a washer and dryer and like it. Although not a household unit, it does the job for our use. Good luck in you search.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabitatGuy
Fun dilemma isn't it! We have a '06 Thor Windsport 36Z, which is the bath and a half model. We love the floor plan and understand why you want that layout. Every unit we look at either new or used, we compare to what we have and they usually come up short. We have had our coach nearly a year now. When we purchased it, it was a 5 year old 10k miles pristine unit and we paid about half of original list price. We have been on two major trips and many weekenders. The bath and half really makes it more livable and the private rear master bath is wonderful. We have had zero mechanical issues to date(although we all know that day will come as it is a motorhome and eventually you will have issues). I have done some upgrades and custom touches. But nothing else other than oil and filters. The Ford V10 runs like a dream and I have no problem with grades or cruising with the big boys. We weigh in at 21,300 ready to roll and tow a 4200 lb Jeep Liberty. On our current trip we averaged nearly 7 mpg from Indy to the Smokies. Our best so far. Now you asked about Thor experience and this is ours. I will say though that we looked at new Thor Windsports at the Louisville Good Sam rally and we were not very impressed with the new ones. In our model year the Windsport was clearly a step up from the entry level Hurricanes. We feel that there is little difference noe between the two lines. Mechanically most of the gasses are comparable, find the floor plan that you love and decide if you are happy with the other features and build quality and go for it. You will love the life!

I am glad to hear you are happy with is unit. i bought this same unit in June. i took it from OH to Mass. Shortly after the purchase and it was great. I love the layout! my son does all of the maintenance on it and uses it as well. he just took it to a Mopar race in Indy towing his '68 Roadrunner and was impressed with the mileage he got towing.
Cajims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Welcome to IRV 2. I'm a Fleetwood fan. Nuff said.
Go with the Bounder!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #28

Don't get taken in by all of the storage space that is available. I remember back in 1990, when Bounder was the first with basement storage, that the carrying capacity as stated in Motorhome magazinie was adequate if you filled them with ping pong balls. Things have changed over the years but carrying capacity is something to still be aware of. If you consider a used unit you can upgrade to higher quality. We have had 2 Fleetwoods with no majorp problems but there are many that are higher quality out there. My Newmar has R16 insulation in the ceiling and R11 in the walls and floors. The AC system in a Newmar is one of the quietest on the market. We have been Rving since 1969 so have had a lot of experience on different things over the years.