Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New Class A advice needed

Hi,
My wife and I are considering the purchase of our first motorhome. After getting overwhelmed at the recent Hershey RV show, we have spent some time searching the internet for various makes and models looking at all of the different floorplans. We came to a decision that we wanted a gas model with a bath and a half and the option of a washer/dryer as well. We have it narrowed down to the following choices (all 2013 models) in order of preference:

1 - Fleetwood Bounder 35k
2 - Forest River Georgetown XL 360ds
3 - Thor Hurricane/Windsport 34e

My first question is if there are other models out there that we should be considering. My wife is adamant that it has to be a bath and a half with the option of adding the washer/dryer, while I want to keep the price down as much as possible. Right now the Bounder is at the top of our price range.

My second question is on overall quality of the above 3 units, mainly in terms of frequency of repair of the coach itself, since I think all of them are on the same chassis (please correct me if that isn't true).

Any and all comments/opnions are welcome.

Thanks,
Mark
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Can't go wrong with the FR Georgetown.... Go to the Forest River Forum and read what other Georgetown owners have to say about their units....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Welcome to IRV 2. I'm a Fleetwood fan. Nuff said.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Welcome to IRV 2. I'm a Fleetwood fan. Nuff said.
Love my Bounder.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies.

Just out of curiosity for you Georgetown and Bounder owners, what year are your rigs and what type of problems have you encountered, if any?
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a Fleetwood fan myself, but have you looked at the Allegro from Tiffin?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
as far as quality goes, they are in the order you list, with a pretty large gap between 1 and 2.

The tiffen allegro gasser is worth a look. It will blow your budget, but is worth it.

You might consider a 3-5 year old motorhome. Lots of good barely used choices, at half the cost of new.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It would depend on the frequency of use. For a yearly vacation a several camping outings, the Georgetown would be fine, in fact, for that kind of use, a slightly used would be a great choice. The more you use it, the more you need a higher quality unit.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
yes, look around for a 2 or 3 year old bounder
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
as far as quality goes, they are in the order you list, with a pretty large gap between 1 and 2.

The tiffen allegro gasser is worth a look. It will blow your budget, but is worth it.

You might consider a 3-5 year old motorhome. Lots of good barely used choices, at half the cost of new.
I would find a 2010-2012 model and save big bucks. Maybe then you could afford to upgrade a little..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #11

Spend a little money, and rent a motorhome for a weekend. Also, use "search" to read lots of comments about washer/dryer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
Hi,
My wife and I are considering the purchase of our first motorhome. After getting overwhelmed at the recent Hershey RV show, we have spent some time searching the internet for various makes and models looking at all of the different floorplans. We came to a decision that we wanted a gas model with a bath and a half and the option of a washer/dryer as well. We have it narrowed down to the following choices (all 2013 models) in order of preference:

1 - Fleetwood Bounder 35k
2 - Forest River Georgetown XL 360ds
3 - Thor Hurricane/Windsport 34e

My first question is if there are other models out there that we should be considering. My wife is adamant that it has to be a bath and a half with the option of adding the washer/dryer, while I want to keep the price down as much as possible. Right now the Bounder is at the top of our price range.

My second question is on overall quality of the above 3 units, mainly in terms of frequency of repair of the coach itself, since I think all of them are on the same chassis (please correct me if that isn't true).

Any and all comments/opnions are welcome.

Thanks,
Mark
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #12

I agree with other posters, look for a good used coach and get a higher quality coach for possibly less $. Of the three you listed I would opt for the Bounder. Of course, I prefer Fleetwood products, and I'm sure others prefer their particular brands.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #13

We started out with an older Winnebago and then traded up to a Thor Outlaw as we wanted to bring our Harley with us. Good luck with your search.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Just out of curiosity for you Georgetown and Bounder owners, what year are your rigs and what type of problems have you encountered, if any?
We have a 2012 Bounder and have had no significant problems...just a few small issues when it was brand new. (Loose dinette bench needed to be fastened down, hood latch broke, etc.) It has only been back to the dealer once since we purchased it last November. We would buy another Fleetwood in a heartbeat. Fleetwood customer support (phone & email) has been excellent.

Also, when you say the Bounder is at the top of your price range, please consider that you should usually be able to negotiate 20-30% off of the "sticker" price. Good luck and have fun.