Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller
You've also moved past 26,000 lbs. in total vehicle weight (probably) so many jurisdictions require another drivers license endorsement.
Here is a resource:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
You just need to get out and drive. We have a 36' that is our first RV. My best learning came when I took 100 miles of 2 lane back from a trip to FL. After that I started getting comfortable. Take your time and you will be fine. I also pull our car on a tow dolly for some added length.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
You've also moved past 26,000 lbs. in total vehicle weight (probably) so many jurisdictions require another drivers license endorsement.

Hal, don't those areas go by what your home area requires? i.e., if it's legal to drive it in your home area then it's legal to drive it anywhere ??
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great tips!

Thanks for asking the question and for the answers. I had the same questions and got a lot of of this thread.
rescueangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
An earlier post said to go to a parking lot and practice.

This is great advice!!! I would add a few things:

Be aware of your height.

When you make turns you will need a little more room. The longer wheel base will cause the back tires to track closer to the curb. Put a cone in a parking lot and practice making turns getting as close to as you can without hitting it. This will help you learn the turning radius of your new rig.

Stopping will take more room so make the necessary adjustments with speed and following distance.

You could also get a copy of your states CDL Drivers Manual. It has a lot of good information about larger vehicles. For example Air Brakes…..and it is free.

Also mentioned in a previous post are driver’s license requirements. Check with your home state as some have special requirements and others don’t.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #20

Here is a link to some good tips for big rigs: http://www.betterrving.com/Search.as...e&fSearch=true
Fredpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #21

We bought our 35' Coachmen Aurora while spending several weeks in Florida. With my wife following me in our SUV, I drove the 900 miles to our home in southwest Indiana over a two day period. No incidents, so considered it a successful "training" run.
Silver Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #22

Use this link to get to The Lazy Days drivers course vedios. These are absolutely great.
RV Driver Confidence Course: Part 1 - Better RVingRV Driver Confidence Course: Part 1 - Better RVing
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All very good advise. As mentioned watch the swing out of the rear of the coach. One other point, the coach pivots on the rear axle. If an object is in front of the rear axle you will turn into the object. If it is at or behind the rear axle it you will swing away from the object. Selah is correct, the RV training videos at Lazydays are great. I had my Daughter watch the videos before I let her drive my coach. She did very good the first time out, had her drive around town and the 15 fwy up Cajon to Hesperia, CA and back.

Chuck Boone
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Don't know if this is accurate, but you do need to be aware of "swingout" with a longer rig. All depends on the amount of vehicle behind the rear axle.

My swing out is about 2 feet and my rear axle is 14 feet from the rear of the motorhome.

Some have been known to take out a stop sign here and there, or gas pump bollards.

Don
x2 on the gas pump bollards.....Ouch.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver