Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
Where do you keep seeing this over and over again? I haven't heard of it or seen a service bulletin on it. That's a suspicious video.
what happened here was a robot malfunction that over torqued the wheel bearings on a group of f53 ford MH chassis...

my luck was that I got two of them...
the first was a 2015 ford chassis fr3... it sat for weeks try'n to get parts..

we bought the motorhome,headed south on vacation...went 60 miles and the wheel bearing was dust
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tow mo ho 004.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	81641   Click image for larger version

Name:	tow mo ho 002.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	81642  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
First time I've read or heard of an issue. Many of our friends have the Ford chassis.
gonna say it was mid 2014 chassis...but I did notice that the lack of grease in the bearings to be an issues that I would have checked on all f53's
easy to do and might save you from roadside camping for 9 hrs....

Old 12-22-2014, 11:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB410 View Post
From an engineering point of view, I would have to agree. This chap says this is his second bearing failure; he says "the one we had just before this, it ate the whole bearing out of it". This is an odd statement unless he changed this incident bearing out himself.

I have this new F53 and mine is fine. I spoke to a friend at the Ford dealership and he says that he has no knowledge of this chassis with systemic bearing issues.

However, that said, this chap does show the bearing removed, later in his blog. I see evidence of flaking on most of the roller and heavy smearing on one (mind you he only show the outer bearing and not the medial one). That would suggest that the bearing was preloaded too much resulting in excessive axial loading or it was not greased, or both. He also says that he checked the right side bearing and it was not greased even though he had been driving it for hundreds of miles and it still spun freely.

I too am a bit skeptical.

Cheers
Scotty
nothing wrong with skeptical...
I own an auto repair shop,...

when they delivered the fr3, the front brakes were smoking...I acused the delivery guy of towing a car with it.. it said he didn't...but I was skeptical
so ,... anyway.. I drive it to get gas..."feels like it has a bad wheel bearing or tire problem" I tell my wife...
I had another set of tires at the shop, have my guy swap them...
seems to have got better.. so we head out...

we went about 60miles...and again tell my wife... something is way bad here, feels like the wheel is gonna fall off....

so I get to the side of the road..lift it up on the levelers...you could pull the top of the tire a good 10"..

I thought they never tight'n the lugs....took the cap off,... all good

took the bearing cap off....dust.... the rollers were complete gone!!!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Did not watch a video but reading that it took a breaker bar to remove the castle nut off indicates way to tight.

Bearing failure would allow things to fall out or get smaller resulting in looser fit.

Did a lot of bearings at the gas station in HS days and never had any issue like this....but we knew what we were doing.

Bearing causing loss of that amount of MPG would be glowing as therr is an abundance of power and rolling mass so the friction would need to be great.

I call BUNK...

Stuck caliper maybe...
lol

I call it two chassis with bad bearings...
Old 12-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
Exactly. He said he only got 4 mpg. If it was as tight as he says, he couldn't have driven it long enough to determine mpg.
steve and sue topped off the tank of their new 2015 Itasca tribute and hit the road...they drove exactly 100 miles and stopped to get gas...the tank took 25 gals to top off... what was Steve and Sue's mpg???
Old 12-22-2014, 11:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Did not watch a video but reading that it took a breaker bar to remove the castle nut off indicates way to tight.

Bearing failure would allow things to fall out or get smaller resulting in looser fit.

Did a lot of bearings at the gas station in HS days and never had any issue like this....but we knew what we were doing.

Bearing causing loss of that amount of MPG would be glowing as therr is an abundance of power and rolling mass so the friction would need to be great.

I call BUNK...

Stuck caliper maybe...
first one must ask.. what is the MPG with a good bearing???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	winnabago wheel bearing 002.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	81643   Click image for larger version

Name:	winnabago wheel bearing 005.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	81644  

Name:	winnabago wheel bearing 015.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	81645   Click image for larger version

Name:	winnabago wheel bearing 018.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	81646  

Old 12-22-2014, 11:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpere View Post
He may be a mechanic, but not having your own tools with you? Another reason to be suspect of the video. I also have not read anywhere where over tightened bearings are showing up, if this video is correct, I'll wager it is a one in a million mistake because robot arms are programmed to shut down when a system failure is detected, and specific torque is in the programming and will not be exceeded because excessive torque will cause a system to shut down. And if there was a system failure the castle nut will not be so tight that a pair of channel locks cannot remove it. I don't want to call anyone aliar, but this is pushing the limits of belief.
I took a video of me try to bust the castle nut loose with channel locks..
calling people names for trying to help another fellow MH owner is un called for..
the motor home is the second one for me...with the problem..ford says it was the failure of the robot and that's why the thing failed...
there was so many failures that they depleted the stock of spindles and hub assembles...
I was able, with the help from greg at the cheetah boats dealership in havasu..to back off the bearing and save the hub and spindle

Old 12-22-2014, 11:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHB View Post
I actually know the person in the video. He bought two new class A motorhomes in less that 3 months. Yes two! The first one was a 2014 FR3 and the bearing actually failed in service during the first 300 miles of his ownership. Mike Thompson tolled him that there were so many failures parts were on back order.

He does own a repair car repair facility and has been around mechanical things all his life. At one time owned and drove is own alcohol dragster.

The second all most failure was on this new rig.

I posted this to make sure if anyone had a new Ford Class A to make sure and check you rig. Hope this helps outl
hey buddy... thanks for the post...and the fr3 was also a 2015

Old 12-23-2014, 12:02 AM   #23

another video....

Old 12-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
It did seem like you were just trying to help.
If I had a Ford chassis I would have appreciated it.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:13 AM   #25

my wife Sue and I would like to say HI to all the nice RV'rs

I'm one of those Guys that wants my stuff to perform, so a banks kit will be install shortly..
also .. after loading.. I always weigh the coach..
so those who might be thinging it's over loaded....

the MH is a 2015 Itasca tribute 27b on a 2014 ford f53 chassis
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	27b weight certs 005.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	81648   Click image for larger version

Name:	27b weight certs 004.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	81649  

Name:	27b weight certs 003.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	81650   Click image for larger version

Name:	27b weight certs 001.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	81651  

Old 12-23-2014, 12:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpere View Post
He may be a mechanic, but not having your own tools with you? Another reason to be suspect of the video. I also have not read anywhere where over tightened bearings are showing up, if this video is correct, I'll wager it is a one in a million mistake because robot arms are programmed to shut down when a system failure is detected, and specific torque is in the programming and will not be exceeded because excessive torque will cause a system to shut down. And if there was a system failure the castle nut will not be so tight that a pair of channel locks cannot remove it. I don't want to call anyone aliar, but this is pushing the limits of belief.
hate to say you are wrong...but
Old 12-23-2014, 12:32 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It was good of you for posting the video for those that care about those things !
You probably saved a few people some grief !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
It was good of you for posting the video for those that care about those things !
You probably saved a few people some grief !
thanks for the kinds words...
hopefully will get some good miles out of the Winnie... we had a 2013 26 he winnabago before the fr3 and this one... we tow a 24' box with 2 rzr xp1000's , or the boat everywhere so the smaller coach works great for me
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	motorhome and boat 001.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	81654   Click image for larger version

Name:	motorhome and boat 002.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	81655  

Name:	motorhome and boat 003.jpg