Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #57

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Let me see if I have this right.
1, A man posts a Video showing a problem that he has had with his Rv.
2, He is attacked by self appointed Inspector Clouseaus for pointing out a potential problem that other folks might not be aware of.

I thought this was a welcoming forum with friendly folks, not a bunch of cranky old geezers !
Must have something to do with wheel bearings.

My dad had two new Ford pickups that left the factory with almost no grease in the front wheel bearings. By the time the wheel bearings failed, once almost causing a highway accident, in both instances Ford stepped up to the plate, acknowledged their responsibility and covered all repair costs.

However, everyone else said my Dad was nuts, making up stories, and the general statement was, "First I"ve heard of this!" or "Not hearing about this from anyone else!" or "All the other Fords are working fine!" So, it was as if the wheel bearing failure was his fault! Or in other words, it was a problem that simply didn't exist.

To the OP. Thanks for the heads up about the wheel bearings. Wheel bearing failures can be life endangering events, and probably the last thing we expect to see a failure with in a new vehicle.

If Ford was being responsible, there would be an immediate recall on this.

We'll see.

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #58

Gulf Streamers Club
Looking back over this whole thread, the OP stated, "I keep seeing this over and over on New Class A Ford Chassis motorhomes." This was interpreted as an attack on all Ford f 53 RV chassis. 2Forceful showed his experience with the issue. I think it's a good warning to those who think buying new means no issues. Somehow some Ford chassis were sent out without proper lubrication or torquing of the bearings. Thank you for reporting these problems, sorry your report was met with skepticism you took as a personal attack. Good news is no one was injured and it looks like the Ford warranty paid the +$2200 bill.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #59

FWIW - The chassis are special made for the F53 so there is a reasonable chance that some small number could get screwed up in production as a group then not caught by any attempt to clean up the problem. It could also be a bunch of bad bearings from their supplier. I've seen both kinds of problems. It does seem odd the same person caught two but it also seems odd that sometimes people beat the house at cards.

FWIW 2 I'd replace the spindle after the second failure. No idea whether it is warped or not and that is the point. Don't trust anything that broken.

FWIW3 Am I the only one who pulls over after a few miles and walks around feeling tires and hubs? Most of these problems result in heat that is easily detected. ;-)
Old 12-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW - The chassis are special made for the F53 so there is a reasonable chance that some small number could get screwed up in production as a group then not caught by any attempt to clean up the problem. It could also be a bunch of bad bearings from their supplier. I've seen both kinds of problems. It does seem odd the same person caught two but it also seems odd that sometimes people beat the house at cards.

FWIW 2 I'd replace the spindle after the second failure. No idea whether it is warped or not and that is the point. Don't trust anything that broken.

FWIW3 Am I the only one who pulls over after a few miles and walks around feeling tires and hubs? Most of these problems result in heat that is easily detected. ;-)
I did check for heat, and always feel the tires.....the second failure was on a second motorhome..
on the first one they replaced the spindle and the whole hub assembly
Old 12-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #61

I say we move on..hater gonna hate...

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. It comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday...JOHN WAYNE
Old 12-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #62

Ford Machines

The Ford chassis that have these problems are mechanical pieces of equipment. Things happen when these machines are assembled and repaired that are not supposed to happen all the time.

The same type of problems can show up in space craft, submarines, and all other type of machines.

Lets not attack the messenger when these problem show up.

Enjoy the ride!!!

Ex Submarine Driver
Old 12-27-2014, 10:59 AM   #63

2forceful,
I regret you received the response from the (mostly) untrained armchair mechanics. I do most of my own work and was a diesel truck mechanic for years. Mining iRV2 can get you an occasional nugget of good information but a majority of offered information is not authenticated or offered by people who have expertise on whatever the subject de jour is. Reading RV blogs does not make someone an expert.

I also appreciate you taking the time to post the info and for not getting POed after the attacks.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Really is kind of unbelievable the welcome he got for trying to help.
I agree all of the negative post, seem to be the same group of people I have seen recently all with nothing good to offer in the way of help just a bunch of BS. The same group of people that do not understand this site is help not trash. Keep a list and you will see the same people over and over again just trash talking. They must want to see this site fail, so they appear to trash anyone that has information that could help someone else.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Talking to Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forcefull View Post
when I talked to one of the head honchos for ford he was real candid.. but did say that a malfunction of he assemble line robot (S).. some no grease... most over torqued.. some no cotter pin,,,,some people will not know till the nut falls off...

because of liability... ford is not gonna say much... he wasn't that surprised when I called him about another one...anyway... I think they are gonna fix it tomorrow...
Good, yeah this renews my faith in going to guys who work on this stuff. My dad was a mechanic for 50 years. Like you say Ford understandably won't take an official position but the mechanics see the problems.

Glad you got it taken care of!
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #66

Hi Bob, thanks for your insight that Ford made the chassis not the RV industry. I supposed your point is that Ford is not part of the RV industry?
Old 12-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #67

To me, all these discussions were fair play. You put it out there, people have their say. You get to have your say back...and on it goes.

Seems to me ALL the posters had good intentions - so what...stuff needs to be sorted out.

The kitchen is hot as they say and rightly so...everyone has a lot at stake...me somewhat less at the moment...my $$$ still in the bank for the moment.

Personally, I don't think this thread would have any affect on my personal buying decision as one offs, as I classify this, are par for the course and I expect to suffer a lot trying to stay on the course. And I think robots are a significant advance in improving quality products. If the rv mfgs...the general rv industry, had as much quality control systems and robots as Ford, the rvs would have fewer new teething problems...

As Buddha says (nope I'm not a Buddhist just interesting)... what gets combined immediately starts coming apart...just a matter of time.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #68

I hope I type this as to get the point across I'm try'n to make......lol

but here's the whole deal..
Ford made a lot of f53 chassis...

are all affected ..no...

was there a lot affected .... yes...

ford went out in the field and repaired all they could find.
during which they depleted the parts on hand...

now parts man. is behind...

ford is not gonna recall the chassis, as they believe they have fixed most
that were bad..
heres the problem for ford... the dealerships and repair shops...
if they have you bring it in to get checked... you can bet everyone will be bad, costing ford way more that it should.

ford would rather take care of each individual case than have all allied together...
so back to the op's post... it is just a heads up as to what is going on
So.... if you have a new MH on a f53 chassis, it' your choice.......

have it checked.. or don't..
happy new year
Old 12-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forcefull View Post
when I talked to one of the head honchos for ford he was real candid.. but did say that a malfunction of he assemble line robot (S).. some no grease... most over torqued.. some no cotter pin,,,,some people will not know till the nut falls off...

because of liability... ford is not gonna say much... he wasn't that surprised when I called him about another one...anyway... I think they are gonna fix it tomorrow...
Thanks much for your efforts. I'm glad that you talked to Ford higher-ups. It has concerned me greatly that this malfunction could result in front wheels falling off and people getting killed. A wheel held on by only the calipers is a dangerous situation. Ford will take care of this issue.

My other concern is the fact that the F53 chassis is assembled by Detroit Chassis and that they may let quality control slip, knowing that they have lost the manufacturing contract from Ford.

If I were Ford, I would have every nut and bolt in every chassis inspected by Ford personnel as they roll out of the Detroit Chassis facility, until the last chassis comes off of their line.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #70

Wow, amazing how Ford can be held to such a high standard and the rv mfgs to such a low standard. I have had quite a few people tell me that the RV buyer is the quality control process for a new motorhome.

No comparison between buying a car, for example, and a complex rv. Imagine buying a new car and having to build a pic list of things to fix while you wait in line at a Ford mfg plant for a couple of months or less if you are lucky, and then have to go back to the Ford mfg plant in some other state a year later to have your car fixed again while you wait in line (as a non uncommon practice). And yes some dealerships and private repair shops are alternatives.

Well, interesting. Like this is the first automotive recall ever suffered by the mfg of an rv chassis. I'm not saying this wasn't an important or useless thread, even for me.

Tags
class a, motorhome, gas, motorhomes