Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
To me, all these discussions were fair play. You put it out there, people have their say. You get to have your say back...and on it goes.

Seems to me ALL the posters had good intentions - so what...stuff needs to be sorted out.

The kitchen is hot as they say and rightly so...everyone has a lot at stake...me somewhat less at the moment...my $$$ still in the bank for the moment.

Personally, I don't think this thread would have any affect on my personal buying decision as one offs, as I classify this, are par for the course and I expect to suffer a lot trying to stay on the course. And I think robots are a significant advance in improving quality products. If the rv mfgs...the general rv industry, had as much quality control systems and robots as Ford, the rvs would have fewer new teething problems...

As Buddha says (nope I'm not a Buddhist just interesting)... what gets combined immediately starts coming apart...just a matter of time.
I really like this forum and I guess I have never looked at it like a hot kitchen.
Its my personal belief we are all responsible to present our opinions respectfully and continue to keep the forum the best on the web.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #72

ALSO......

I wanna personally thank everyone for posting their opinion..
it's what makes for an interesting thread...

damn,... what a mess it would be if everyone thought like me

Old 12-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
I really like this forum and I guess I have never looked at it like a hot kitchen.
Its my personal belief we are all responsible to present our opinions respectfully and continue to keep the forum the best on the web.
x2... opinions are like....
Old 12-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #74

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Hi Bob, thanks for your insight that Ford made the chassis not the RV industry. I supposed your point is that Ford is not part of the RV industry?
In the years '68-'71 I spent my summers (and vacation breaks) from college driving a 'roach coach' to most of the players in the RV industry of Elkhart, IN. To lump Ford in with the bozo's of the RV industry is a gross injustice. The differences are too many to list, but the trailer and mobile home 'companies' I visited were sometimes little more than garages. A person with a couple of $1,000 would buy the components from the various Elkhart suppliers, hire a couple of workers, and build a trailer and plow the profits into the next one. Companies 'exploded' with no real inspection or attention to detail, the workers could hide their mistakes behind paneling and rolled aluminum sheet. Companies rose and fell, workers moving down the street to the guy who'd pay a nickel more per hour for their 'expertise.'

Ford makes all sorts of vehicles, from autos to chassis to be completed by others. I think their engineering and inspection departments are bigger than the work force of Elkhart's RV industry. Their labor force is trained and much more professional. Yes, I too have railed against the lack of quality control in RVs, the fact that a manufacturer must maintain a large repair facility at their plant points to the fact that they didn't do a good job on the first trip through the factory.

I wonder if TCHB and 2forcefull would have been hit with all the skepticism if it hadn't been posted as a 'caution' and "I keep seeing this over and over on New Class A Ford Chassis motorhomes." Those kind of words are like waving a red flag in the face of a bull, people rise in defense of their favorite brand. Sort of like the decals of XXXX owner's kid peeing on the XXXX logo of the other.

The fact is, it happened to more than one front axle of a new RV fresh off the lot. Owners of similar equipment should pay attention, feel, listen, and sniff for signs of failure to prevent issues on the road. I thank the folks for posting the issue, sorry you were attacked.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

I wonder if TCHB and 2forcefull would have been hit with all the skepticism if it hadn't been posted as a 'caution' and "I keep seeing this over and over on New Class A Ford Chassis motorhomes." Those kind of words are like waving a red flag in the face of a bull, people rise in.
This.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
And those folks should be responsible in how they respond.
That was a great opportunity for an apology Rodz.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #77

Yeah, I have been kicked over one of my responses by the forum masters, but that is why I refer to this stuff as a hot kitchen at times. Emotions can run high and words as bolded above kind of jump start some of the replies.

Not like we are sitting around so we can throw pizza at each other, and then have a beer together.

Hey, writing is actually very difficult, more difficult that having a chat around the table...for both thread starters and responders...we learn a little sometimes about how to write better.

If I had started the thread, I would have apologized for not doing a better job of the videos, but enough said.

By the way, I agree it was unfair for me to lump Ford in with the rv industry, but they are part of it regardless and look how long it took them to upgrade the F-53 rv chassis. Places like Hendersons and Kelderman's answered the needs of owners to develop suspension upgrade packages, and still do, to help those more sensitive to the "truck" chassis as it was and the "super duty Class A" as it now is. Even now you have 5 star tuning to improve the V-10 as well.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Well said.
I just try and write my words as if we are all just sitting around.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
And those folks should be responsible in how they respond.
That was a great opportunity for an apology Rodz.
Apologize for what? Show me where I said something that was untrue. We all know a wheel bearing can go bad on anything. I was sensing some exaggeration of the issue and giving the impression it's a common problem.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
Apologize for what? Show me where I said something that was untrue. We all know a wheel bearing can go bad on anything. I was sensing some exaggeration of the issue and giving the impression it's a common problem.
all right.... quit throw'n pizza d get me a beer
Old 12-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #81

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
How about here??

Quote:
Where do you keep seeing this over and over again? I haven't heard of it or seen a service bulletin on it. That's a suspicious video.
Or here??

Quote:
That's ridiculous. In your video the wheel is spinning easily with your hand. If in fact you could pull the top of the tire 10" as you claim, everything would be junk including the spindle. It would have fallen off way before it got that bad. No one has heard of this problem, but it's happened to you twice. Sorry, not buying it.
You were trying to 'kill the messenger instead of listening to honest reporting of multiple failures of the same part on at least 3 RVs based on new F53 chassis. Two different reports here on iRV2 with identical issues, Two different 2014 F53 based RVs (different makers) by one owner, 2forcefull. To him, it seemed like a systemic problem, but he wasn't the one issuing the caution or saying he had seen it over and over again, but was treated with derision and called to question with his video and posting of clear photos of his troubles.
I don't know what's suspicious about the video, not being able to remove the castle nut with a big pair of channel locks is pretty straightforward to me.The castle nut is never torqued that tight on a wheel bearing and to have it turn with enough force to break the cotter pin is also flat out wrong.
Some, (not you, rodz) criticized 2forcefull for being a mechanic and not carrying his tools. It was a brand new, shiny Winnebago, wouldn't think he'd need to carry a complete tool kit so soon. Heck, I was an educator for more than 30 years but never traveled with a piece of chalk or a red pencil.

If you don't see anything to apologize for, so be it. But how many folks on here have had just one issue with a vendor or product and then write them off as inferior and trumpet it to the world? I didn't see that by 2forcefull he just clearly illustrated his problems and even the invoices from the repair shop that agreed with him.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #82

I have hot pizza and cold beer in the house for any members of this thread who can make it to my house in the Bay Area, Ca before midnight, when I turn into...another thread...having put this thread where it belongs - to bed.

Just pm me for directions.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
How about here??

Or here??

You were trying to 'kill the messenger instead of listening to honest reporting of multiple failures of the same part on at least 3 RVs based on new F53 chassis. Two different reports here on iRV2 with identical issues, Two different 2014 F53 based RVs (different makers) by one owner, 2forcefull. To him, it seemed like a systemic problem, but he wasn't the one issuing the caution or saying he had seen it over and over again, but was treated with derision and called to question with his video and posting of clear photos of his troubles.
I don't know what's suspicious about the video, not being able to remove the castle nut with a big pair of channel locks is pretty straightforward to me.The castle nut is never torqued that tight on a wheel bearing and to have it turn with enough force to break the cotter pin is also flat out wrong.
Some, (not you, rodz) criticized 2forcefull for being a mechanic and not carrying his tools. It was a brand new, shiny Winnebago, wouldn't think he'd need to carry a complete tool kit so soon. Heck, I was an educator for more than 30 years but never traveled with a piece of chalk or a red pencil.

If you don't see anything to apologize for, so be it. But how many folks on here have had just one issue with a vendor or product and then write them off as inferior and trumpet it to the world? I didn't see that by 2forcefull he just clearly illustrated his problems and even the invoices from the repair shop that agreed with him.
getting caught with out tools was shameful, I'm the one that is usually prepared...this is how we roll...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coral pink and trailer 003.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	82057   Click image for larger version

Name:	coral pink and trailer 005.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	82058  

Click image for larger version

Name:	coral pink and trailer 023.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	82059   Click image for larger version

Name:	coral pink and trailer 025.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	82060  

Old 12-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #84

Quote:
I have hot pizza and cold beer in the house for any members of this thread who can make it to my house in the Bay Area, Ca before midnight, when I turn into...another thread...having put this thread where it belongs - to bed.

Just pm me for directions.
chuckle... good one! My son lives not too far from the Bay Area...better watch out!!

On a side note: I'm the kind of guy that looks for positives in all things, so... there have been 3,472 views of this thread, 82 responses, and the upper levels of Ford are aware of a very serious problem on some (not a lot but some) late model chassis and are fixing them. By keeping this thread going, it has served to get awareness out there and that is a good thing.

I'm thinking that maybe a sticky should be made in the Ford F53 chassis forum, describing the problem, the general range of effected chassis, the Ford fix, and the advice to keep an eye on the front wheel bearings.

Tags
class a, motorhome, gas, motorhomes