Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2014, 08:52 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
A spin won't tell you anything. There's an intentional light drag on the brake pads to keep them against the rotors. There's no preload on the bearings. It's lightly tightened then backed off to align the cotter pin hole. That's zero torque or preload.
I'm a 45 plus year mechanic. built ground up street rods most my life..
and currently own a complete automotive repair shop in vegas...

it will tell me exact what "I" wanna know

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 08:57 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forcefull View Post
I'm a 45 plus year mechanic. built ground up street rods most my life..
and currently own a complete automotive repair shop in vegas...

it will tell me exact what "I" wanna know
Hey, when I'm out your way and need some mechanical repair, I'm going to go to your shop!!

Old 12-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #101

well..just check'd it all out.... looks good to me..
hooked up the trailer....off to get a total weight...

gcwr
Old 12-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #102

Read this thread yesterday then went out and jacked up our 2013 Sunstar with 11K miles to see what we had. Have not experienced any indications of wheel bearing problems.

I thought both of the wheels were not as free-spinning as they should be. Opened the hubs, took out the cotter pins and tried to loosen the castle nuts unsuccessfully with a water-pump wrench. Had to get a socket and ratchet to loosen them. Grease seemed ok. Ended up with each nut backed off one hole from the original position. The wheels seem to spin easier now.

Thank you for these posts.

Neal, 2013 Sunstar 26HE, '03 Tracker ZR-2 toad
Old 12-30-2014, 03:06 PM   #103

Ford Super Duty Owner
I posted this on another site about the bearing problem. I do not usually assign dark motives to companies or people. However, If you stop and think about this, You have a company that is losing the contract for the F53 chassis. I do not believe the company would ask their people to sabotage the chassis. I really believe that one or two people would be pi$$ed at Ford and would do this to hurt Ford's reputation. This is not a hard situation to envision. I remember when some assembly line guys were putting coke bottles in the doors of new cars. Ford and Chevy both did away with bottled drinks (on their property) because of this.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I posted this on another site about the bearing problem. I do not usually assign dark motives to companies or people. However, If you stop and think about this, You have a company that is losing the contract for the F53 chassis. I do not believe the company would ask their people to sabotage the chassis. I really believe that one or two people would be pi$$ed at Ford and would do this to hurt Ford's reputation. This is not a hard situation to envision. I remember when some assembly line guys were putting coke bottles in the doors of new cars. Ford and Chevy both did away with bottled drinks (on their property) because of this.
this whole deal makes you wonder whats really involved
Old 01-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #105

took the winnabago and trailer to the dunes...all went well.. no problems...

guess it's ok now... Still not that confident.. but guess that should change with time..
Old 03-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #106

Ford bearing failure at 7,000 miles on new MH

Purchased latest 2015 Winnebago sightseer in August, so had it only 7 months when front right wheel bearing failed. MH towed to Ford truck shop, currently waiting on parts, and hope to get back in a few days.

What questions should I ask...assuming I am allowed to talk with the technician?
Lake_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:38 PM   #107
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with a successful resolution with your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake_guy View Post
Purchased latest 2015 Winnebago sightseer in August, so had it only 7 months when front right wheel bearing failed. MH towed to Ford truck shop, currently waiting on parts, and hope to get back in a few days.

What questions should I ask...assuming I am allowed to talk with the technician?
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #108

Ford Super Duty Owner
I posted #86 and went to Fairway Ford in Placentia, CA the next week and informed them that the front wheels bearings were too tight and the wheels would only rotate a little more than a quarter turn when given a 2 handed strong effort to spin the wheels (I am 6'2", 250#, and in good health and fitness). I also mentioned that others have complained about this problem.

After waiting 3 hours the mechanic and service writer showed me a bearing and said it was from the right side and had enough grease in it. I asked them to also check the left side bearing too. An hour later I was told my RV was ready and I would have to pay a $115 diagnostic fee because there was nothing wrong with the wheels.

When back home I lifted the front and discovered the right wheel would now rotate about 720 degrees when I put the same energy into spinning wheel, so they must have corrected the castle nut torque. When I tried the left wheel it would still not rotate more than about 90 degrees. I removed the wheel cover (the nuts were at the same torque as the lug nuts) and could not loosen the castle nut with 12" channel locks. It took several blows using 12" adjustable wrench and 2# dead weight hammer to loosen the castle nut (I had removed the cotter pin). I backed it off one hole and reinserted the cotter pin and put the wheel cover back on. I gave the wheel a spin and it now rotated about 720 degrees like the right side did after the visit to Fairway Ford. I now know not to trust Fairway Ford's work until I can verify they have done what I am paying for.

I think someone is using the same torque settings on their wrench for the castle nut, lug nuts, and wheel cover nuts at the chassis assembly plant.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake_guy View Post

I went through this on 2 new motorhomes..both repaired and both failed a second time... it was too nerve racking to drive the fords because I never felt they were repaired , and always thought I wasn't gonna make it home..

I have since bought a new excursion..300hp diesel...its a big heavy slow school bus with a micro wave oven... I hate the performance and the slow going up hills...
my ford pulled the same hill 20 mph faster...there is nothing you can say or do about the problem.. they still want it to be none exsistant

good luck...
Old 03-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
I posted #86 and went to Fairway Ford in Placentia, CA the next week and informed them that the front wheels bearings were too tight and the wheels would only rotate a little more than a quarter turn when given a 2 handed strong effort to spin the wheels (I am 6'2", 250#, and in good health and fitness). I also mentioned that others have complained about this problem.

After waiting 3 hours the mechanic and service writer showed me a bearing and said it was from the right side and had enough grease in it. I asked them to also check the left side bearing too. An hour later I was told my RV was ready and I would have to pay a $115 diagnostic fee because there was nothing wrong with the wheels.

When back home I lifted the front and discovered the right wheel would now rotate about 720 degrees when I put the same energy into spinning wheel, so they must have corrected the castle nut torque. When I tried the left wheel it would still not rotate more than about 90 degrees. I removed the wheel cover (the nuts were at the same torque as the lug nuts) and could not loosen the castle nut with 12" channel locks. It took several blows using 12" adjustable wrench and 2# dead weight hammer to loosen the castle nut (I had removed the cotter pin). I backed it off one hole and reinserted the cotter pin and put the wheel cover back on. I gave the wheel a spin and it now rotated about 720 degrees like the right side did after the visit to Fairway Ford. I now know not to trust Fairway Ford's work until I can verify they have done what I am paying for.

I think someone is using the same torque settings on their wrench for the castle nut, lug nuts, and wheel cover nuts at the chassis assembly plant.
I was told a robot torques the nut to 200 ft lbs by mistake
Old 03-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post

I have since bought a new excursion..300hp diesel...its a big heavy slow school bus with a micro wave oven... I hate the performance and the slow going up hills...

good luck...
Somehow I don't think you and are are going to be swapping Excursion stories much longer...
Old 03-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Somehow I don't think you and are are going to be swapping Excursion stories much longer...
lol...my wife put the excursion in her name so I couldn't sell it....

I am learning to smell the rose's as some have put....

but, when you hit bugs with the windshield and it dosen't kill them

Tags
class a, motorhome, gas, motorhomes