Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New Class A Gasser without Slide(s) Extinct?

My first and also current MH is without slides. It appears that just about everthing built after the early 2000's has one or more slides. Looking at various manufacturers web sites everything I see in Gas A's has slides.

Can they be bought without? I don't ever see me going FT, and I'm a KISS kind of guy. I devour this web site, read anything and everything. I see many slide problems, leaks, jammed, scratching floors, tearing carpet etc. etc.. And IMHO they seem to be much harder to cool due to the extra cubic feet.

The current rig has a full queen bed, more than ample bath, and plenty of room forward for 2 people and an Australian Shepherd. So am I destined for a slide when I get ready to move on up?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #2

YUP - I'm with you - we don't dance or rollerskate in the MH, so can live without that "extra" 2 foot space in the floor, AND all the common slide related issue that go with it...

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #3

You might be able to custom order a rig without slides , but most current floor plans wouldn't work by just leaving it out, and at resale time

The way the market is even single slide units are hard to sell right now.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have a slide on mine and me the DW two kids and the lab have plenty of space on the road and at camp. I don't miss the extra space now and I like that the coach is lighter and less complicated. I agree that slides are not without their problems but nothing is perfect and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am sure there are lots of guys who love the slides...just one opinion here an to each his own!

Good luck!
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #5

You may need to sink money in your Fleetwood to avoid slides.
If you can custom order, the layout would be a total departure from existing models and appropriately expensive. Otherwise, you would do a lot of sideways crab walking in the limited space.

Best of luck!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #6

Our 1996 Monaco Signature was ordered by my dad in 1996 with no slides. He didn't want the aggravation of the problems they were having at the time. I am using the unit now and find no need for them. One less thing to repair.

joe
Old 07-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good to know there are others who have somewhat similar feelings. Thought sure I was going to get blasted as the "Amish Camper".
Old 07-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Good to know there are others who have somewhat similar feelings. Thought sure I was going to get blasted as the "Amish Camper".
With you all the way.
If there was a new A w/o slides, I would be interested.

BTW, I see many issues with full wall slides. Its the weight. Some have fridge, sink, W/D, etc.

On this forum, I wonder what the count/percentage of problems are with slides.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #9

Layout it key if you go without slides. My travel trailer - keystone vantage - has no slides and I love it. It's roomy because of the arrangement and depths of the cabinetry.

As a vacationer only, I'd love a motorhome without slides. Those old GMC units seemed roomy and had alot of windows. You surely get more and bigger windows without having slides.

Probably most motorhomes are sold to full-timers or wanna-be full timers - and they want as much square footage as they can get so as not to get stir-crazy.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #10

As a relative newbe ( 2 years in a DP) I find my slide on my 14 yr coach to be problem free. I typically put it out but for a short stop I just leave it in. I feel that there would be plenty of room with the slide closed if it weren't for the floor overlap on mine. On mine you do have the slide end that blocks off the drivers seat from rotating when the slide is in.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
That's funny our first RV was a Class C and no slide, which we thought was fine. Weekend trips were just fine. Eventually we started going for weeks on end and it became unbearable, for us. We bought our present A with a single 16x3 ft slide. Now we spend 4-5 months in Fl in the winter and it's all we need. Our coach is approching 15 years old, never a leak or slide problem. Remember, for every person you see on here with a slide problem, there are 400 who don't.

If you can't find a no slide rig, many designs can be completely used with the slide in (ours is this way). So pay close attention to that. Then you don't have to ever use it.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is our floorplan, Fleetwood's 33L, and the coach is a widebody 102". I would buy this floorplan again in a newer model. TV is in front on a pop-up deal that makes it visible from anywhere forward. I would like to ditch the dinette for a table and two chairs.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #13

Been RV'in for many years now, without slides and now with three in a Class A. In my "OPINION" its like riding a motor bike, once you drive a shaft bike, you'll never go back to a chain drive! If you can live without a slide, go for it, but, in the long run, even just a main room slide is nice!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Unionville, Tn.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Each slide mechanism seems to take up @ 10" of longitudinal space. Two slides on one side would reduce the useable space by 4 feet? So a 36' rig becomes 32' of floor plan with a wider aisle.

Hence the smaller galleys and couches on slide units we found when shopping for rigs many years ago.

We are still happy with our decision for no slides. But, I think the technology is much improved these days and probably not so many slide issues as a percentage of slides existing.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote