Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
New Class A, need everything. What are essential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
A note pad and pencil to write down all the things you forgot or wished you had.

I agree.
Buying up front without knowing what you personally need or want will leave you with many items that may never get used.
Go out for some weekend excursions and see what you truly need.
Then start making list of things you may need to add or fix.
Yes, that list will exist and something always pops up at some point.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #16

Box wine
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:43 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Forget the "special" RV TP, just use any that is septic safe. Got my first RV in 1968, and other than the samples they give with a a new rig have never used anything but what was in the stick house.
Also forget the "tire checking bat". Even seasoned truckers can't tell a properly inflated tire from one that is dangerously (20%) low. Trucker magazine conducted a test and found that only 2 out of 50 could correctly identify the low tires.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:48 PM   #18

Beer.
REM37411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
ROUTINE!!! ROUTINE!!! ROUTINE!!!

We are on our 5th RV. Probably the last item you'll think of and IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) is most important and critical to your happy and successful camping is this.

Your and your DW (Dear Wife) will now or later decide exactly who does what and when. All that goes into owning an RV and planning trips needs to be done by one or the other or both.

A. My job(s)!! I do all the service work, oil changes, fixing things, MODS (modifications) etc. I do all the driving.

B. DW She took care of decorating, outfitting the cooking stuff, utensils, pots, pans etc.

C. WE!! Decide where we are going. Where she wants or needs for shelves, towel racks, and things like that.

The DW plans the meals and get the groceries. I may gowith her to the store but she knows what she wants. We load the fridge sometimes the day before or the morning of. That's hers to decide. We each do our own clothes.

When we are ready to drive out of the driveway the DW sets up the TOAD for driving. There is a routine needed to follow when the Honda is to be towed. I'm usually setting up the hitch, wiring harness and safety lines while she goes through the routine so it can be safely towed. If she screws up it will ruin the transmission. If she forgets to get the key in the correct position then the steering wheel is locked. Every time we go she reads the book again to make sure she's done it correctly. I can do it but she can do this while I'm setting up the hitch.

The DW also checks to make sure all outside compartments are closed tight. I'll chack them if I'm walking by but she does also. Kind of a double check.

We like to drive between 250 and 350 miles per day. The DW calls for camping spots unless we know ahead of time where we are going to stop. She also makes all the camp ground reservations if we are planning a long trip. So that is something that we have planned ahead.

THIS PART IS EVEN MORE CRITICAL

When we stop for the night I stay in the RV while she checks in. I've been driving for 4 to 5 hours so I stretch my legs. The dogs are restless so I may walk them while she's checking in.

We head to the sight and she surveys the sight looking for the level area, hook up locations, low branches that might interfere with the slides or other obstacles that I might not see. If it's a one night stop we don't unhook so I need to hit it correctly the first time or I'll have to go around. If we are staying for a few days then I'll get out and survey as well.

To make the leveling much easier I first took the RV to a level parking lot along with a 4' floor level. With the DW's assistance i find a very level location. If I have to tweak the level I'll lower the leveling jacks and get the RV dead on level side to side and front to back using the level on the floor.

Once it's level I installed two bubble levels where I can see them from the drivers seat. One level is next to the driver on the side wall to indicate front to back level. The other level is on the dash to indicate the side to side level.

When we pull in I can very quickly gauge just how level the RV is setting. It's not necessary for us to put any bubble levels on the counters or in the fridge. I installed the bubble levels up front when the RV was level so it's level. If the floor is level most anything installed on the floor will or should be level.

Sometimes some sights may require some extra wooden pads so the jacks don't have to go out so far. Sometimes we decide if more is needed. Once we are positioned I'll lower the leveling jacks.

We always hook up before the slides come out. We hook up the electric first because there's a 2 minute wait before the surge protector will connect. Water and sewer are next. I usually do the sewer but she helps.

Then we put the slides out and set up the interior. She has a routine when she does that as well. i will help but since she has a routine I don't like to interfere. We have runners and carpets to put down along with the dogs water and cat box. I stay out of her way.

When we break camp it's kind of the reverse with the inside first. Again she has decided that she wants to do it all herself. So I stay out of her way. I will shake out the small rugs or empty the trash. Most of the time I just start with the outside stuff but making sure I don't kill the power before she gets her hair dry.

Another very important item. Don't get distracted while doing these routines. If a neighbor stops by keep it brief or just tell him/her what you're doing and say you'll check back when you're done. They will understand.

It may take you several months or trips before you establish exactly how you two want to handle stuff. I'd say it was close to a year before we really got comfortable and we are still tweaking the routine as we decide it needs to be different.

Another careful consideration which cost us $700. When your setting up or breaking down camp and the routine gets altered for ANY REASON stop, check, and evaluate if you forgot something.

We were leaving out sight. Everything ewas put away and we were all ready to leave. A camper that we knew was blocking the out road. He was having a hard time hitching up their TOAD. Instead of just pulling straight out I decided to veer to the left just 2 feet as I was leaving our sight. It was just a very small direction change from our usual exit. I hit the electrical box on the camp sight next to us. It knocked the box over and scratched the side of the RV. The paint repair was just $700.

Hind sight is always 20/20. It was a change to the routine. My DW was outside but i should have told her what I was going to do and asked her to watch the left side of the RV. I was in a hurry and didn't do it. I was only moving slightly to the left and never thought anything was out there to hit.

When we arrive home I dump/flush the holding tanks while she unloads the fridge, dirty clothes, and other food stuff. We work back and forth to get it all done. Then she changes the sheets and does the laundry and before the end of the next day all is cleaned and loaded back into the RV for the next trip.

IMHO it is most important for all owners to get these routines down as quickly as you can. They need to become a habit with no distractions so it's done the same time after time.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
I might add to #19's post. Establish a Routine an stick with it. Do not get distracted when Dumping,Hooking up Toad or Filling Freshwater tank. You can be parked next to a camper for a week and not say a word, but break out the sewer hose And they come over and want to talk... Happy Trails..... Chuck
CharleyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:28 AM   #21

To the op, pay close attention to TeJay [sharp cookie]. Start with a short trip and see for yourself what you need. One water hose, one sewer hose with 90 degree fitting. You will probably need a 50 to 30 adapter for your electrical I have a 30 to 20 that I use at home. Never needed extension cord after 11 years two coaches and lots of miles. You don't need enough tools to rebuild a short block just a few basic things. I don't use a surge protector . Never saw the need. I do have a home style water filter because I got tired of cleaning sand from the shower head. As far as leveling blocks go 2x8s the right size work fine. The most important thing is a wife who will understand when you screw things up.
bandit2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #22

Nothing will ruin any trip quicker than waking up some morning to find you have been invaded by ants. Buy some ant spray!

Extra batteries for the TV remote, smoke detector, etc...always come in handy.

You both should carry a set of keys.

Most important of all....plenty of patience.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStrvlr View Post
We just purchased our new Tiffen 32SA and will need all the accessories!

From sewer hose to camping mats.
Anything not obvious you feel is a "must have"??
These, as shown below, For both slides.

https://store.tiffinmotorhomes.com/z...gv_with_navi=X

Tiffin slide corners are very sharp. You will raise up from getting in a bay, and will cut your head, even through a cap (a cap keeps you from needing stitches though) if you don't have them. You may not learn the first time either...... , and cut your head again even though you bought foam pipe insulation corners, but don't put them on before you go about hooking up. These go on with double sided tape and stay on permanently so you won't forget to put them on. You will be very happy you have them.

You may also want to get some black foam pipe insulation to run along the bottom of the slides too (the kind that you have to slit, not the kind that are pre-slit with adhesive). If / when you put them on, you will forget, and you'll bring the slides in and you'll have to run the slides back out to get them off.

As for all the other stuff, it's the general stuff that's already been listed. A good EMS and TPMS systems are top of the list though. I do have a 50amp extension cord that has never been used, but probably a good idea to carry. I also have 2 sets of the Lego leveling blocks and a separate set of Jack pads because some places (like ownership parks) may ask / require you to use them.

Yes, I have a spare water pump, but it's the one that we recently took off that was making noise. Most of the the other parts and pieces are simply "left overs" from one project or another. Just remember, you are usually no more than 30 minutes from a Lowes or Home Depot.

I will say my wife, who is an excellent "chef", decided to buy a slow cooker. It's now back home on a shelf in the garage and will probably be sold at the next community garage sale because other than chili, which she can cook in a Dutch oven covered pot that is used often, I don't like most slow cooked dishes. But that's up to you. We (ok, she) basically cooks on the road the way she does at home......

Regards!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	196735  
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:16 PM   #24

Things I never want to be without: step stool, can double as seat; awning pull rod; foam knee pad; foam yoga mat for crawling under the beast.
Jim.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:38 PM   #25

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
These, as shown below, For both slides.

https://store.tiffinmotorhomes.com/z...gv_with_navi=X

Tiffin slide corners are very sharp. You will raise up from getting in a bay, and will cut your head, even through a cap (a cap keeps you from needing stitches though) if you don't have them. You may not learn the first time either...... , and cut your head again even though you bought foam pipe insulation corners,......

Regards!
Yup.. Avoiding That was one (of many) reasons we bit the financial bullet and bought a coach that has flush mounted slides with no sharp edges or corners with a pneumatic bladder for the slide seal. (versus overlap slide closures & seals)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:14 AM   #26

Money

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Copsuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:35 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStrvlr View Post
We just purchased our new Tiffen 32SA and will need all the accessories!

From sewer hose to camping mats.
Anything not obvious you feel is a "must have"??
All great advice.........

But........

Just as important is "Patience" & Sense of Humor"!

Safe travels - good luck......

g
Old 03-26-2018, 05:37 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsuno View Post
Money

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
We use a check list to head out. You can put it on your phone. Also DW has a roll of padded drawer liners that she puts under everything that might raddle or things that otherwise might hit the floor. It makes for a quiet drive.
I buy the ant spray that repels ants and have ant traps and mouse poison hidden away near any place critters might enter.
DW does use toaster oven and slow cooker.
Spare fuses if your coach has them.
Trip planner.
Enjoy!
fbuckwalter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a