Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #15

Yes, I have checked all of the fuses and they all checked out ok. On this funny looking stud, one wire comes from the battery breaker, a smaller wire from the front engine compartment and the other 2 share a loom and disappear to the back near the frame. I assumed one of those went to the generator and one to the fuse panel in the back. I could be wrong with my assumption, but until I can get under the coach I can not confirm.
According to the troubleshooting chart for the converter, I have a wiring problem or possibly a fuse/breaker (which I can not find).

Thanks for all of the help and ideas, I will keep looking.
brooksd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Don't worry about any 120 volt breakers or your converter fuses.
The converter is working to power up the 12 volt system when you plug in.

The issue is between the batteries and the fuse panel.

The issue seems to be past the disconnect solenoid, because it cuts the radio on and off, like its working. My Thor does the same thing.

You have checked the fuses in the panel, yes ?
The description of the problem is confusing. OP states the alternator charges the house batteries, but the converter does not when on shore power, or generator. It could be the terminal post that is shown in the one picture, that could have corrosion on the rings or post. About the only thing one can do is start at the batteries, and/or the converter and see what one finds.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #17

My 1st guess is you failed to connect one of the 12V wires to the battery when you replaced the batteries.

The fact the generator starts shows a good ground and 12V to the generator. I suspect the generator power comes from the input side of a solenoid and the house side comes from the other side of the solenoid. The solenoid may click but the only way to know for sure is to measure the voltage on in and out.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #18

I had the same problem of no 12V power inside the coach even before the new batteries. The only thing that has changed since the new battery install is that the generator will now start from the coach batteries. Before the new batteries were installed, I would have to start the engine first and then start the generator after the motor was running. With the engine running I could measure 14.4 volts at the coach batteries.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #19

Take a look at the ground stud near the batteries and for loose wires, not connected.

Its possable that Thor ran + and - wires from the fuse area to the battery compartment.

With no neg connection, no complete battery circuit.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #20

I have found a ground stud near the batteries and another one on the frame at the rear of the frame. Both have multiple wires landed there and all appear to be tight.

Does anyone know if the Store/Use solenoid has a connection for the coach and one for the chassis, or is it supposed to shut down both at the same time?
Old 04-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #21

Use/store switch is coach only.

If there was a chassis disconnect, it would be seperate.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #22

Does the emergency start switch go to a solenoid that could tie in to this system? Is it possible for it to stick and isolate the coach batteries?

I am at a loss for now and grabbing at straws and looking for any additional possibilities.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #23

This is a typical setup. You may not have the chassis solenoid.

The isolation solenoid only jumps chassis to house batteries under certain conditions.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-04-16-15-44-38.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	243051
Old 04-21-2019, 04:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksd View Post
Does the emergency start switch go to a solenoid that could tie in to this system? Is it possible for it to stick and isolate the coach batteries?

I am at a loss for now and grabbing at straws and looking for any additional possibilities.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.

The emergency start solenoid ties the engine battery and the house batteries together when you push and hold the switch and I doubt it is your problem.

There is another solenoid that could be the problem it is the house battery disconnect (store switch) it is used to disconnect the house batteries when RV is in storage.

The one good clue is the generator now starts that pretty much indicates the batteries have good 12V and good ground.

You will have to have a 12V tester to do any real troubleshooting. I would start with the store solenoid you should have 12V on one side of the large lug and no 12v one the other in store position and 12V on both sides in the use position. One side of the tester on ground the other on the large red wire connection.
When on shore power you are getting the 12V from the converter.
Hard to diagnose when not there but you will find the problem sooner or later.
Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #25

Good news, I found my problem with the help of John Mock with RV Custom Products.
There is a 50 amp manual reset breaker inside the Battery Control Center.
4 days looking for a 5 sec fix.
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and support.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:10 PM   #26

Thanks for the update glad you got it fixed.

Tags
batteries, power