Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2017, 09:15 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
New coach extended warranty

Any one have any insights/thoughts on the value of the dealer extended warranty. I'm buying a new Tiffin coach and the dealer is pushing. My inclination is to say no, but I'm wondering what others have experienced.
Steve Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #2

Say "NO". The dealer wants to sell it because it's a nice profit for him and the warranty company comes out great on a new coach. Just send the money to me and I will send half back to you and we will both be better off.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Initially I'd tell them no and then watch them drop the price. I just bought a car and they tried to sell me a warranty. I told them I'll bank the money and go self insured. Next thing I know they dropped the extended warranty price in half. Still think I was a sucker but bought it for 1/2 price. Not sure how far they would have gone down, but there is definitely a big markup on these.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #4

An extended warranty from a dealer is a contract...not an insurance policy that is under state insurance rules and regulations. I learned a whole lot by listening to the podcast "Living the RV Dream" from 12/21/16 on extended warranties.

When you buy an insurance policy, you pay per period, quarterly, annually, and you can end it at any time and transfer it to the next owner (if there is one). You don't pay for the life of the policy up front.

Best of luck!
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #5

Do you want one yes.... From the. Dealer NO!
pplwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #6

I read somewhere they are either exclusionary or inclusive and be sure to read thoroughly which one you are being offered.
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #7

I have never bought an extended warranty/service contract on a new or used vehicle and I am tens of thousands of dollars ahead for it. I can understand someone wanting POM when buying an 8-10 year old RV. Some turn out ok, but more turn out to be a big profit center for the company and the customer loses his premium. To some, that is the price of Peace of Mind. I will never understand why anyone would buy an extended service contract on a new vehicle of any kind. That just baffles me.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #8

Hummm..... As someone who has sold motorhomes for years let me enlightening you.
First understand that a motorhome is a house in a 6.1 earthquake all of the time.
Consider the following:
Generator $4,000, refrigerator $4,000, leveling jacks $4,000, roof AC $3,000 each, and I haven't even begun to list the expensive things like engines Transmissions my radiator just blew that was $4,000 and most people do not have the discipline to set the money aside on a monthly basis in their own bank account. With that said however they should not buy it to the dealer because it ends up getting financed with interest for 15 or so on top of the price of the warranty.
pplwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #9

Deciding whether or not you want/need a warranty is a topic that is often discussed and there are always lots of opinions and experiences. I'll leave it to you to research that.

If you decide you do want one, as another poster mentions, just decline while sitting in the finance office and the last number they throw out is how cheap you can get it from them. You still may be able to do better shopping around elsewhere. I'm not sure how things work with Tiffin RVs but with my Ram truck I bought the factory warranty from a dealer on the other side of the country for well below what my selling dealer's "bottom line" was.

One last thing, watch out for aftermarket companies. There are some attractive prices out there but many aren't worth the paper they're written on. Full of exclusions and ways for the company to weasel out.

Exclusionary is generally the way to go but often times getting the actual list of exclusions can be a bit of a challenge. Just for kicks I asked my dealer for one on my Keystone RV. Of course, I had to ask several more times before I finally got it. Once I saw it I laughed out loud. Pages of fine print and exclusions. Dealers just love to be able to brag about it being an exclusionary warranty but are very hesitant to show you what is actually excluded. Proceed with caution.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #10

Warrantee companies are betting they come out way ahead. They are not in business to benefit the buyer. Need I say any more.
Ps 5 rv's later with no ext warrantee and never a problem.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Two questions:
1.Do you want one?
2. If Yes, where to buy it.

#1 is a matter of widely differing opinion and often discussed here. #2 is almost universally answered "Not from the dealer". It's a high-profit extra for him and you can almost always get a better policy for less money elsewhere, plus you have at least a year (the length of the factory warranty) to shop around.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I said "no" when I bought mine and found the same warranty online with one more year of protection for almost half the price. The key is to know the price difference BEFORE you go to the dealer. They were shocked that I could beat their price and said they couldn't compete with it.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplwizard View Post
Hummm..... As someone who has sold motorhomes for years let me enlightening you.
First understand that a motorhome is a house in a 6.1 earthquake all of the time.
Consider the following:
Generator $4,000, refrigerator $4,000, leveling jacks $4,000, roof AC $3,000 each, and I haven't even begun to list the expensive things like engines Transmissions my radiator just blew that was $4,000 and most people do not have the discipline to set the money aside on a monthly basis in their own bank account. With that said however they should not buy it to the dealer because it ends up getting financed with interest for 15 or so on top of the price of the warranty.

In 2010 purchased new 2009 Itasca Diesel pusher from Camping World Little Rock Arkansas
Bought extended 7 year warranty for $5000
Worth every penny[emoji41] We live in MD and my Winnebago dealer worked with Camping World warranty on many issues. I think I broke even or am ahead. All claims were for non engine non transmission and non chassis issues
Bought new 1 year warranty from Good Sam in January. Worth every penny if engine blows or major appliances die. It's like owning a house on the San Andreas fault. Things break
A new engine is 10-15k. Just my opinion
Safe travels
marksheinkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:30 AM   #14

So you think you broke even. Great you got your money's worth.

Tags
extended warranty, warranty