Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New coach LLC recommended by my dealer??

This is my first experiance with a LLC. which my dealer recommended. It sounded like a great idea as we have certainly paid our share of taxes I assure you. The LLC allows you to register your coach , and as you know there is a lot of tax...With the LLC you pay no tax....goood deal and is very much legal, however the question is insurance???..about a third higher seems the insurance companies treat you as a business????Some like Geico stat they have a button they apply that allows you to pay the same regualr rate?????...they too were toooo high...seems Formost gave a normal deal ....any story or advice????
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #2

I would not put the adjectives "very much" before the word "legal." Depending on which state you live in, it may be the opposite. Just sayin.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Some States are taking a look at the LLC registrations. Check this out.

Colorado catches RV sales tax evaders
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #4

Search this very forum for thousands of pages regarding "Montana llc"

This is a subject that is not to be taken lightly and it is not black and white. It works, doesn't work, nothing happened to me, but they guy down the street, and so on and so on. It all adds up to "it depends" on YOUR risk tolerance. READ before you leap. Read a lot. There are thousands of pages all over the internet about it.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I did it that way.

The local "revenuers" in Illinois had a copy of my sales contract before the ink was dry, sent to them by Florida. (where I bought the RV)
Tho the wheels of justice turn slowly, a few weeks ago I sent the state of illinois 6.25% of the difference between the tradein value and the purchase price. My moho now wears Illinois plates, and the Montana plates are stored away just cause I like em.

The revenuers are everywhere. They are connected. They know everything (they knew I brought my bus into cummins for service before I did, and how much it cost me!)
They even read these forums.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Doesn't LLC stand for Limited Liability Corporation? Why wouldn't insurance charge more if you are insuring a corporation regardless of size. As mentioned the IRS and many states are taking a dim view of this if used as a means to get around paying taxes. Good luck.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At one time an LLC seemed like the way to go but with states really looking into them I think these days I would pass. As far as insurance rates, I would expect to pay more for a corporation than an individual. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
There is no free lunch..LLC is a commercial entity so most insurance companies will put you in a commercial policy...And most states have some sort of law that say if resident of state and in state for 30 days veh needs that states plates...pay me now or maybe pay me later. As Clint Eastwood asked, "how lucky do you feel"?
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
Community Administrator

I remember when registering a boat in a Delaware Corp. was a popular way to avoid sales tax. That was until my State ( NY ) back charged the sales tax and penalties. They came into every Marina and got the owners info on all the boats there and sent each one a sales tax bill. The onus was placed on the owner to prove they paid sales tax. It was a real PITA for those of us who had done things legal and then had to prove it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Offered without comment for your reading enjoyment - (Massachusetts) Investigation into Vehicle Registration Abuse

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I didn't have any problem with insurance, my local state farm agent was happy to write the policy.

No problem with financing either, destination financial and suntrust bank were happy to write the loan, with my signature as the sole member of the llc.

And i still believe my montana company has every right to buy an rv in florida, and this is none of illinois business...

But seeing as how they knew where the bus spent its winter, it's pretty hard to argue the 30 days part.

And when u get right down to it, i'd rather my hard earned money go to support our last two governors lifestyle in federal prison, than go to feed lawyerz. I hate lawyers...
Hmm, come to think of it, both those governors were lawyers. Heck with the state of that profession, they probably still are.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
wow goood points here as usual ......man will the car/rv dealers sell u anything to help make a deal....they even set up the LLC ....live and learn folks.....thanks to you all!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68
I didn't have any problem with insurance, my local state farm agent was happy to write the policy.

No problem with financing either, destination financial and suntrust bank were happy to write the loan, with my signature as the sole member of the llc.

And i still believe my montana company has every right to buy an rv in florida, and this is none of illinois business...

But seeing as how they knew where the bus spent its winter, it's pretty hard to argue the 30 days part.

And when u get right down to it, i'd rather my hard earned money go to support our last two governors lifestyle in federal prison, than go to feed lawyerz. I hate lawyers...
Hmm, come to think of it, both those governors were lawyers. Heck with the state of that profession, they probably still are.
Laws are made by Lawmakers who are Lawyers. Are we starting to see a connection here? :-(
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #14

Tax on RV's?

I'm in Canada, tax capital of the world, and we don't get taxed on RV's like it sounds the US does, that has to be a first, Americans paying taxes that Canadians don't. If I bought from a dealer, I would have to pay 5% sales tax, private deals have no applicable taxes. My license plates cost me the same for my 2003 Pace Arrow as my 2005 Trailblazer, about $80/year, and my insurance with full replacement coverage cost $816/ year. Mind you, I'm paying about $4.33 a gallon for regular fuel, and up to $4.75 a gallon for premium, a huge chunk of which are taxes, so maybe they just sneak it from me slowly hoping I won't notice, or just get apathetic enough to not complain about it anymore. Hmmm, your tax system is so much different than ours - I'm just curious.

Regards
avalancheMM is offline   Reply With Quote