Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #1

New Coleman Mach 3 Plus 13.5 btu DOA

Winnebago 2003 36M Brave purchased a couple of years ago. Old unit was a Coleman Mach also, but the compressor would not kick in so I assumed because the compressor was heavy rushed it was bad so purchased a New Coleman Mach 3 Plus 13,000 BTU from CampingWorld, hauled it up at top of the roof, easy install just marked the wires were it came of the junction panel. I am hooked up to my home, front ac works perfectly. But now the new Cole,an compressor does not run, just like the old one. Thought it was the power so went out for a 4 day jaunt to. RV park. Compressor did not kick in. The Camp Host, retired Navy like my self went to a/c school. He tested and performed everything. Still the Unit compressor did not kick in. So I am still out on my 4 day trip, the front with an addition to a fan keeps the rear bedroom cool. If anyone has any insight on this, please reply. I am hoping it is something simple. The Camp Host believes he freon leaked or somehow got damaged from the factory to the dealer. BTW I am in Northern Florida Pelican Roost, have a breeze off the ocean which helps.
bproulx12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 10:14 AM   #2

It sounds more like a thermostat issue to me. It may not be wired correctly, a wire between the stat and AC could be broken, or the stat itself might be bad.

I'd also say there's a decent chance the old AC might have still worked.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
It sounds more like a thermostat issue to me. It may not be wired correctly, a wire between the stat and AC could be broken, or the stat itself might be bad.

I'd also say there's a decent chance the old AC might have still worked.
Possibly, but the Camp Host by passed the thermostat on the junction panel to trick it to think it was a thermostat and nothing. I was thinking when it gets cooler at night, switching the the thermostats and see if the good A/C will work. But I plan on taking it in, the RV to where I bought the A/C next Wednesday. We are good with just one A/C system on this trip. But you could be right.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:31 AM   #4

Damn, well switched out the thermostats and the working unit started up, so it is not that, maybe the control box? Bad resistor?
Old 08-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
My bet is the control box. Same thing was going on with our new ac, finally traced it to the control box. It's up on top of the roof and the ac plugs into it. Not something you can replace from inside. Cost me $184 to replace it.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
My bet is the control box. Same thing was going on with our new ac, finally traced it to the control box. It's up on top of the roof and the ac plugs into it. Not something you can replace from inside. Cost me $184 to replace it.
If the old control box was used, then yes, this would be where i would look next. There is a chance the new ac could be bad but i have a feeling the problem is that power isn't making it to the compressor. The control box has relays, one for the compressor. I wouldn't think it'd be hard to check relay operation and for 120 volts in and out of it.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #7

Melmoses, Mudfrog,

You guys were right. Switch them out with my working unit, compressor did not start up, put the old one back, worked fine. Now I just need to figure out which one to get, so confusing. My control box is a model 8530-7332. Tried looking online will probably call Coleman. Both a/c units are Ducted, with heat option, live in Florida, but I am sure there is a chance we may go out in the colder winter months.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
It is best to call Coleman (Airxcel) to make sure you get the correct one. Mine is a Mach 8 15,000 so likely would be different if you have a Mach 3.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote