Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #1

New converter /charging chassis battery

I am getting ready to put a new Inteli-Power 9245 in my 2000 Sea Breeze. I have read many threads about putting the converter in and a few more about putting in a AMP-L_Start to charge and maintain the chassis battery. My chassis battery does not get a charge when plugged into shore power. My question is do I need both or will the new converter/charger take care of charging house and chassis batteries? I probably am making it more confusing than it needs to be, but.......
jtjj1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #2

Forgot to mention I have two 6 volt house batteries and a 12 volt chassis.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjj1958 View Post
Forgot to mention I have two 6 volt house batteries and a 12 volt chassis.
You probably need a BIRD to connect the two banks for cord charging.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
A converter/inverter with charger capabilities will take care of the house batteries only. Therefore you need a battery minder, Trik-L-Start or Amp-L start to maintain the chassis battery. The Trik-L-Start and Amp-L-Start both "steal" a little power from the house batteries to keep the chassis battery charged. One of those would be my choice. The Battery Minder can actually run down your house batteries and will only charge on shore power.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #5

In short, you can wire it to charge whatever you want to charge!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think it is six of on half a dozen of the other. If you get the trick l charge system they when the converter charges the house batteries they will charge the chassis battery also. If you get a regular smart battery charger then it will charge the chassis battery every time you are on shore power. The only difference i would see would be a shorted house battery could rob you of the ability to charge your chassis battery with the trick l charge system. With the smart battery charger both systems are isolated and if you need one system or the other to start you coach in the event of a problem you have two chances to have a set of batteries charged. I have the smart charger and it has worked fine for me.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #7

Thanks for the responses. I will put the amp-l-start on first to take care of charging the chassis battery and change the converter/charger later.

Tags
converter, chassis, battery, charging