Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #29

What prevents the doors on the Samsung, or any other residential unit, from opening during travel, especially on a hard stop? I never use the gas mode on my Norcold, maybe because that mode stopped working years ago.
PDXDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDisco View Post
What prevents the doors on the Samsung, or any other residential unit, from opening during travel, especially on a hard stop? I never use the gas mode on my Norcold, maybe because that mode stopped working years ago.
There are lots of ways to do that ranging from bungee cords to cabinet locks. Getting them to stay closed is not hard at all.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #31

Our Norcold's door fell off and broke my wife's toe years ago. I'd hate to see what could result from a residential refrigerator door coming loose. I'm not too comfortable with a bungee cord holding the door closed. I might consider using industrial draw latches on each door, but with the Samsung that everyone is talking about, it wouldn't be possible to fit latches on the bottom of the doors, only on the top. Fitting any kind of latch for the freezer drawer would be problematic. I'm not a fan of having heavy items, like recliners or counter-top appliances in my coach. I realize that in a severe accident, almost anything loose could become a missile and injure driver or passengers, but why add to the risk with large unsecured items that weigh enough to kill in a low-speed, survivable accident? The risk of fire that gas expansion refrigerators pose is equally frightening, and I do want to replace our Norcold. It seems a shame that there isn't a large AC/DC option with a normal compressor. I'm going to look into marine options, including those that utilize a remote compressor.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:16 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Our Norcold's door fell off and broke my wife's toe years ago. I'd hate to see what could result from a residential refrigerator door coming loose. ...

I'm not a fan of having heavy items, like recliners or counter-top appliances in my coach. ...
FWIW, my Samsung is within 10# of my old Norcold 12XX. I also can't even imagine a door coming off with how it is built.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
BTW...this is how I keep my doors closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0665.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	99715   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0668.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	99716  

Old 07-11-2015, 05:11 AM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Skyboss has one (above post), but I seen another one on this forum a few months ago I thought was pretty neat. I think it was a commercially available latch specifically for the res frig.

(I still use my Dometic, and am happy with it)
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:20 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
When I converted to Samsung three door,to keep it closed, I found photos of nylon straps on the website.

It consisted of components from a marine supply store, designed exactly like life jacket straps
1. Black nylon straps ( fridge was black)
2. Black plastic male and female snap connectors ( from life jackets )
3. Black plastic hooks ( when we were parked, I unhooked the straps and stowed them)
4' small stainless steel u brackets.

It took two straps, one for the top two doors and one for the freezer. They ran laterally from left to right under the door handles

I attached the u rackets on the wooden frame on each side. The connector snaps, were slightly off center for easy access.

For quick access going down the road, just press the snap connectors to open, and press together to close.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #36

Thanks for the ideas! I found a latch on this forum that I really like, because it's stainless steel, positive latching design, attached with screws. It's designed for sliding doors:

Sugatsune HC-85-S Sliding Door Latch

None of the marine AC/DC refrigerators are large enough; they're all much too narrow for the opening, even though they come within 2 cubic feet of the volume of our Norcold. Here are the two top contenders:

Nova Kool
Nova Kool RFU9000 Marine and RV Refrigerator - AC / DC

Isotherm
Isotherm Cruise CR 271 Cruise Upright Classic Refrigerator / Freezer

I agree that the advantage of a 12 volt operation is negligible given the low draw of the Samsung. I just upgraded to a Magnum pure sine wave 2800 inverter/charger, so providing clean 12 volt power is no problem. When it's hot, we often run the generator for the house AC anyway, and boon-docking is not what we do.

The Samsung model that many have used will require removal of the drawer below our Norcold, and trimming out of the new opening. It's time to get out the tape measure.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I agree that the advantage of a 12 volt operation is negligible given the low draw of the Samsung. I just upgraded to a Magnum pure sine wave 2800 inverter/charger, so providing clean 12 volt power is no problem. When it's hot, we often run the generator for the house AC anyway, and boon-docking is not what we do.

The Samsung model that many have used will require removal of the drawer below our Norcold, and trimming out of the new opening. It's time to get out the tape measure.
Your new MS 2800 will easily handle a residential refer. I am not totally familiar the measurements of the newest Samsung models comparable to the 197 so do your homework well. We have a furnace below our refer but we had room to lower the refer platform about 3" while raising the top of the opening an inch or so. While it would have been nice to have the refer another 6" lower for Sandee's access to the top shelf, the freezer is actually nicer to get in to.

A couple things to keep in mind. If you have a very arched roof you will want to double check measurements at the back of the refer opening to make sure you have height clearance at the back. The other is wall clearance on the side of the refer. In our case the wall on the right side of the refer won't allow the door to be open enough to move shelves around. Not a big deal just need to remove the door to move shelves. Haven't had to do that.

The residential refer is absolutely the most important upgrade we did for our full time needs.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:20 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I made a simple bracket out of oak to hold the door shut. Is felt backed to not scratch the fridge. Use a bungee cord with plastic clips to keep the freezer drawer shut.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1436807922726.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	100000  
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:35 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
I made a simple bracket out of oak to hold the door shut. Is felt backed to not scratch the fridge. Use a bungee cord with plastic clips to keep the freezer drawer shut.
Very clever design!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:50 PM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
What prevents the doors on the Samsung, or any other residential unit, from opening during travel, especially on a hard stop?
I use this. Simple piece of plywood covered with felt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Refer Lock.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	100074  
Old 12-12-2015, 05:44 AM   #41

Sky Boss, thanks for the photos of you door locking device. I was going to form two aluminum channels and rivet them together but this will be easier to manufacture. I already have the material on hand. Great idea!
mocauttx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:48 AM   #42

Also look at these. They are what Entegra use. I bought a set for french doors and a set for bottom freezer doors. I used very strong double sided tape instead of screws in the new refrig.
Sugatsune, Lamp HC-85/S Catches and Latches, 304 Stainless Steel, Brass, Satin: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Tags
cooling, fridge