Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #1

New Cruise control needed

Good day to all.
I have decided the easiest way to get my cruise control working is to order an aftermarket one.
I would like advice on which is the best ones to buy. I have an 88 Holliday Rambler, 454 engine. The control module is on the steering column but I have no idea if the module part is broken or something else is not working.
So I can use anything I can connect some place else.

Thanks,
glennj3cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #2

sometimes the problem with cruise control is the brake switch is out of adjustment or outright bad. when driving at a steady speed lift up with your toe on the brake pedal then try the cruise. if this works you may have a simple repair Worth a shot.

TJ
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #3

I don't think that is it. I can't even see or feel the switch. It is just in a particularly difficult place.

Thanks though!
Old 07-24-2016, 03:40 PM   #4

I actually looked up there with my camera, there are no brake switches that I see. It must be in another location. I did see a meter typed instrument behind the gas pedal. Looks like it controls the position of the gas pedal.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:48 PM   #5

Maybe your brake switch is on the master cylinder.

Probably cheaper to fix what you've got, but Summit Racing has a number of add on cruise control kits.

www.summitracing.com

Fred
Old 07-25-2016, 04:45 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've installed many aftermarket cruise controls over the years. Rosta seems to be the major manufacture.

When you install it, you will need access to the brake switch or wiring to tie in to the Cruise control. As someone mentioned, look on your brake master cylinder for the switch.

ALSO

When I installed one on my Ford pickup, I didn't use the actuator switches that are part of the turn signal, I used the small switch panel that mounts on the dash. (see photo).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RostaCruiseControl.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	134125  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #7

F/U

This one looks similar to the one I ordered. One place said I needed a magnet at the drive shaft but then another said I did not that my old unit has the two wires to hook up to. I just need to find them!
Old 07-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
On my Ford pickup (1999), I had originally mounted a magnet on the driveshaft. However, a few years later, I discovered that the truck had a Vehicle Speed Sensor wire and I spliced into that. Worked great.

The magnet worked ok, but every once in a while, if I hit a big bump, the magnet would hit the sensor and knock it out of adjustment. Thats why I finally got rid of the magnet and spliced into the VSS line.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:21 AM   #9

How was the install? Looks a little complicated...

Im looking to install one on on a 34' winnebago with a cummins... any advice?
Soup Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
If I remember correct, the electrical was easy, the mechanical was a little more of a challenge,

Mine had a electric servo (the thing that presses the gas pedal). It doesn't really "press" the gas pedal, the servo has a cable that "pulls" the throttle linkage. That was the challenge, figuring out where to hook up and route the servo pull cable.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:59 PM   #11

The old one was vacuum actuated, the servo is at the front of the engine and the cable that pulls the throttle goes strait back and loops up to the carb and pulls it. I have only ordered the control unit, can't wait to get it here as I have a couple of weeks to get it set up before my trip!
Old 07-26-2016, 10:04 PM   #12

Glenn... most of the chassis builders provide some or all of the wiring in the harness... go to the chassis builders web site and see if you can find a wiring diagram to help you out... some manufactures use the same signal to run the speedometer and the cruise control... if one works, its likely the signal is good to the control box...

I'm thinking it could be... as suggested above nothing more than brake switch gone bad or with a loose connection...
Old 07-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #13

F/U

I don't think there is a signal, this is mechanical. I will need to locate the Speed Control Wire is what I understand.
My RV came from the factory with the vacuum speed control installed.
Hoping it will come in the mail today!
Old 07-30-2016, 09:01 PM   #14

F/U

Good news, yesterday and today spent several hours working on installing the Rostra Cruise Control system.
My RV is almost and antique (1987) it is amazing that many routine parts are not out there anymore and information is bleak. I do have all of the books that came with it but I don't recall anything about the Cruise.
Back to the news.
I will not go into much detail but I can say that the installation and owners manual is for me somewhat difficult to read and understand. Some of the information is just written somewhat illogical. Other places just don't tell you where to locate certain wires, like the VSS wire which is a major wire that is needed.
Granted my RV is not listed in any of the listed vehicles. Then there is the instructions as to how to connect the servo or module to the carb linkage. After trying to do what it looked like it was telling me, I just stopped and looked at the linkage and made a reasonable calculation as to what parts to use since there were no pictures of my linkage.
It states that I need to connect the dark blue wire to the tachometer. My tach has 2 or 3 wires connected to it now, so I have no idea where to connect it to. It does a good job of saying what the wire is used for.
Also states it is very important to connect the VSS wire and tells what it does, just does not say anything about where it could be located or how it tells how fast the vehicle is going.
Today I located the brake switch!! Big news, I have been looking for it for two years!
So everything is connected but those two wires and I have to secure the module underneath the floor near the engine compartment.

Tags
cruise control