Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #1

New Engine

Looking for advice. I have a 98 Fleetwood Discovery with a Cummins 275hp 5.9 engine. It has a bad piston and scared cylinder wall. With that said, I need a engine. I have found a used engine and a company to install. My thoughts are to replace everything I can on the outside of this new used engine, (fuel pump, injectors, injector pump, alternator etc.) before install. My big question is, what has been some of your problems with this engine that I may want to fix or replace before installation. Let me hear it.
Thanks, Tim
Tfain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 03:50 PM   #2

Have you given any thought to going to a later 300 hp or higher version of the 5.9 engine? The labor is going to be the same and the Allison transmission can handle the higher hp and torque. I had a 96 discovery with the 230 hp version. You can never have too much power.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #3

Be very careful buying a "used" engine. Consider a Cummins certified reman with a warranty.

I did on my boat. A Cummins B series reman. I got good service from it for 3 years and sold the boat.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #4

Tim,

Couple of things with the 275 hp ISB, foremost is to make sure the new block is not a "53" casting which is notorious for splits in the water jacket.

Also possible issues with the "killer dowel pin", a quick and easy fix if the front gearcase is accessible,

From personal experience and information gained in researching repairs to my engine :

vibration damper - it is rubber and yours will be 20 years old,

fuel return lines from the VP44, check for rusting, any road salt exposure will shorten their life. Even a pinhole sends diesel spraying everywhere.

pushrod cover gasket under the crankcase breather. A quick preventative change if the VP44 is off.

check your exhaust manifold for cracking.

Make sure that all the brackets are re-installed on the lines from the VP44 to the injectors

Make sure that the brackets securing the air compressor to the block are re-installed and properly tightened.

Also an opportunity to replace the front crank seal and the serpentine belt tensioner.

Good luck

Dave
kidz_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #5

There is a lot of discussion on the drive train Cummins section. Look for a thread started by Piker for a real exhausted analysis.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:57 AM   #6
Yaj

google "killer dowel pin"

Fort Myers, FL
Yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #7

Crasher, I have been looking for a 300 but have not found one.

Timjet, A reman is 11k, plus I still have to add all the externals.

kidz driver, Thats the info i am looking for. I will make sure I look at all those things.

Jreeves2, Thanks, I will go there next.

Any more advise, still working on this problem.

Thanks to all..........Tim
Tfain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:33 AM   #8

Can't you use the externals from your blown engine?
If you know what you're doing a used engine is still playing Russian roulette. I know you're trying to save money, but this may cost you far more than the Cummins reman.
But again if you know what you're doing - go for it.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfain View Post
Looking for advice. I have a 98 Fleetwood Discovery with a Cummins 275hp 5.9 engine. It has a bad piston and scared cylinder wall. With that said, I need a engine. I have found a used engine and a company to install. My thoughts are to replace everything I can on the outside of this new used engine, (fuel pump, injectors, injector pump, alternator etc.) before install. My big question is, what has been some of your problems with this engine that I may want to fix or replace before installation. Let me hear it.
Thanks, Tim

We never had good luck with any used Diesel engines.
When all is said and done the used engines cost almost
as much as a NEW one and they have no warranty.

fyi.. I run a trucking company and we have tried many used engines.
I hope you have better luck then we did with our attempts with used motors.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:31 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
My opinion on used engines is always the same. If you are fixing it to sell it go used if you are fixing it to keep it go reman.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:11 AM   #11

As others have mentioned, going with a used engine not knowing it's history of service, is a crapshoot. It might work or you might have to do it again. A remanufactured engine is a sure fix. It might also be the lowest cost in the long run. Used engines never seemed to work out for me.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #12

Search eBay for Chad McKinney. He has several and says he bench tests them before sale.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Some places do charge $11k for a reman ISB, but others are $5-$6k.

https://65ldiesel.com/product/cummin...ed-long-block/

https://bestremanengines.com/cummins...iABEgI6d_D_BwE

A word of caution. If your coach is a 98, your engine could very well be a 97 model. 1998 was a Cummins transition from the mechanical engines to the 24 valve electronic controlled engines.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
My opinion on used engines is always the same. If you are fixing it to sell it go used if you are fixing it to keep it go reman.
Agreed...🕶
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine