Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2015, 03:24 AM   #1

New Engine and Chassis question

Hello All,
As I start my research into buying a class A motor home, I see brand new RVs with engines, generators and chassis' dirty and weathered. Even on online pics. One would think a brand new motor home would be squeaky clean and new but I've seen pictures at the manufacturing plants where the chassis's are left outside waiting for the RV to be built on it...Should it be a concern that the engine and chassis are left out to the elements? what's that say about the manufacturers? All my new vehicles were spotless off the lot. Are my expectations too high? Thanks, Pete
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 03:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
Your expectations are not too high. Everyone else's has been too low over the past years.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Your new motorhome should be squeeky clean when you pick it up but until that point, no neccessarily so clean. Did you ever buy a new home? Did you see it a couple of days before you took possession? It looked like hell before the cleaners came in.

You should take a trip to a motorhome manufacturer and take the tour. Up until it shipped to the dealer, it pretty much will be a mess despite the fact that it is cleaned just about everyday to remove construction debris. We watched ours being built and, while it was pretty clean when it left the factory, but it still took a couple of days at the dealer to make it really shine.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete6737 View Post
Hello All,
As I start my research into buying a class A motor home, I see brand new RVs with engines, generators and chassis' dirty and weathered. Even on online pics. One would think a brand new motor home would be squeaky clean and new but I've seen pictures at the manufacturing plants where the chassis's are left outside waiting for the RV to be built on it...Should it be a concern that the engine and chassis are left out to the elements? what's that say about the manufacturers? All my new vehicles were spotless off the lot. Are my expectations too high? Thanks, Pete
Pete6737

From what I've seen very few, (if any?), RV manufactures or RV sellers/dealers clean anything you can't readily see.
However, because people are impressed by "glitz and glamour" most clean, (and polish), anything and everything you can see.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies and warm welcome! I like buying new: my house, and a couple of vehicles because I take care of my stuff and maintain everything. I have a 2007 Tundra with only 34000 miles and you could eat off the engine. I was hoping that I can spend a lot of time here researching the best RV for me and buy it new and keep it maintained and clean in between trips. I was just noticing that under the hood, these new RVs are not as new looking. I guess I'll need to get in there and detail it! Thanks, Pete
Old 08-16-2015, 02:29 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't worry about the chassis getting rained on, That ain't nothing like the water it gets going down the road at 65 mph in a heavy rain.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

And best luck shopping...

Can't tell exactly where you will shopping/buying but unless you purchase from one of the few makers that have factory pick-up...wait 'til you see the odometer on your brand new RV.

Class A's are too tall to be carried on a flatbed. Instead they are driven by delivery drivers. Yep...like,Elkhart IN to Orlando, FL is over 1100 miles on the odometer

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete6737 View Post
Hello All,
I am picking mine up factory direct in Elkhart from NeXas this week and it will be spotless. It was just painted this week, chrome and decals left to be added and only test miles on it....thats the way to purchase a new vehicle, not from a dealer.

WDK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2656.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	103528   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3926-2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	103529  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9133.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	103531  
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:55 PM   #9

Factory direct sounds great to me. I want to put those first 1100 miles on it...driving to North Florida... I am planning to visit some factories and continue saving until I find the make and model that's a fit. Thank you for the suggestions!
Old 08-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Pete......"ga traveler".....brought up a good point. If you like your stuff to stay clean and nice looking, like many of us, you're going to cry when you look at the engine compartment on a motor home after driving through a rain storm. DP's are like huge vacuums. They pick up everything from outside the coach spew it all over the engine compartment.

I just added a built in pressure washer to my coach to try and keep it a little cleaner on the road.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
We did a lot of research before we decided on a Winnebago. They are not what I'd consider top of the line but we didn't have $250,000 to spend so we settled on a WBGO. They are good coaches and have good support. We traded and bought from Lichtsinn Motors which is 1 mile from the factory in Forest City Iowa. We picked it up with 40 miles on the OD.

Yes Ford makes the chassis and they are delivered to the MH builder. They set outside until a coach is built. So they will get dirty. That's surface dirt which can be cleaned.

Enjoy your search.

TeJay
Old 08-18-2015, 06:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Pete......"ga traveler".....brought up a good point. If you like your stuff to stay clean and nice looking, like many of us, you're going to cry when you look at the engine compartment on a motor home after driving through a rain storm. DP's are like huge vacuums. They pick up everything from outside the coach spew it all over the engine compartment.

I just added a built in pressure washer to my coach to try and keep it a little cleaner on the road.
Wasn't the point being that he did not want to buy new or used with a grimy engine or generator compartment? We should cry when our rigs get dirty inside and out and underneath but I would certainly have concerns over what and whom I was buying it from if they did not take the time to clean it up for me.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #13

Willandjane. Nice pics of your rig. You are going to enjoy that. What's the make?
Pete6737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would not be concerned. Though Acid Rain in some areas can cause issues with exposed metal the engine will be completly cleaned and the chass rust free before the body is installed.. Normal rain is not that bad.. WATER believe it or not, does not cause rust.. nor does it conduct electricity.. It is impurities that cause the problems.

Tags
chassis, engine