Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
New Flooring...

After lots of research including reviews of info on this site, I believe we will be installing a sheet vinyl product from Armstrong...Very nice looking and it's difficult to tell that it's not would plank. Seems it would solve my concerns with my kitchen/living room slide. It is a floating, no glue solution. I will make exact templates from inside the coach cut the vinyl accordingly..I'm certain I would have to glue under the slide areas. Use transition pieces at the seams.
What do you all think about this? I see very little discussion involving vinyl sheet. Mostly laminate....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #2

Go for it , take pictures and share. There are many choices today for flooring in RV's.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If it's a floting floor then you can staple the edges around the wall then put shoe molding, watch the slides when they come in to see how much they dive down in the front so they won't dig in the floor. If you got some carpet your going up to you can lift the carpet and put the vinyl under it then roll carpet and tack it down or use a metal trim for carpet. All sorts of ways to do this
Old 08-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Nightriderrv, I checked your website out. You have some nice looking projects! Maybe I should just drop my MH off to you on my way from Indianapolis to my brother-in-laws house in Raleigh....
When you
say "if its a floating floor", .... If I intend to install a high quality vinyl product, isn't it always my choice whether to glue fully or float fully? Or does your statement mean that some vinyl products must be glued? What would be the difference in the product that would require glueing vs allowing it to float.. Also, stapling or glueing the edge of a vinyl floor does not impact the "floating" intent of the installation?
Thanks for your advice!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vinyl sheet is fine for an RV - I've seen it in new ones, and not just low end models either. The better quality stuff is outstanding in looks and durability.

Most vinyl that is designed to be floated can also be glued. I would check with Armstrong first, though. Their tech support is excellent. Send them an email or call. Describe the installation and why you feel gluing some or all of it is a better alternative.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can choose to full glue or float the setup is a little different on both floors on the glue down or full spread there would have to install Luann first to give the floor a smooth surface to ad hear to the floating floor you can glue around the outer edge in a 3 inch wide band I'll be happy to install it for you send me a email
Old 08-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Talked with the remolding rep. at CampingWorld today. They have a pretty good flooring, upholstery, and window covering business going on at this location. CW will not install any of the laminates mentioned on this forum, i.e., engineered wood laminates, Allure planks with glue strips..They only install a particular vinyl product distributed by Syntec. An example isBeauflor Novabac vinyl sheeting or vinyl planks using a special glue for the glue down application...They are convinced that the laminates are a hit and miss proposition at best.
Armstrong flooring does not support any environments below 55 degrees. I realize there may be lots of cya in this business and this stuff may work just fine...So, I guess I'm still investigating...There are many RV sites that mention the use of Beauflor Novabac in new coach builds...Coachman, Forrest River, Heartland, Airstream, to mention a few.
I'll be calling Winnebago to ask them what Vinyl brand they use in their new builds.....
Personally, I want a seamless, jointless application in my motorhome and this higher end vinyl might be the stuff. The wood plank style pattern we liked looks amazing...
Old 08-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Just to share my own experience doing this...

Replacing carpet and OEM vinyl tiles with Allure planks I intended to have a floating floor but found when I tried to retract my slides, they pushed against the fairly thin flooring and just pushed it away... causing it to buckle in the middle.

I ended up tacking it down at the edges where the slide skids ride up over the floor and it's been fine for the two years we've had it.

I really should have had the slide skids changed out to the ones designed for hard surface flooring but..... it wasn't something I could do myself and didn't want to spend the big bucks to do it.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rick, the slide is my big concern as well. On this 1998 Chieftain it spans the kitchen and the living room area. Its not a roller type, rather the long carpet covered boards. I would never be able to operate the slide as I know it would be grinding away at the flooring on the kitchen end of the slide. The carpet end of the slide/ room appears to have more clearance. I am definitely going to use some sort of high end vinyl.
Some have said the plank installation is much easier than a sheet vinyl. I would strongly disagree. Once you spend a little time making a quality template, cutting the vinyl sheet, you just throw this down.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #10
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Response from Armstrong support. They dont make a product for me. My coach will be subjected to freezing and high heat.

Armstrong World Industries Case #00858828:
Dear rod H,

Thank you for contacting Armstrong World Industries, Inc. Armstrong vinyl is only recommended in a year round temperature controlled environment that does not fall below fifty five degrees. We also recommend a consistent relative humidity of 35-55 percent.

Thank you for choosing Armstrong floors for your home. I hope this information is helpful. Our entire product line, Design A Room, and retailer locator are available on our website at www.armstrongfloors.com. Technical product information is also available on our technical website at www.floorexpert.com.

Regards,

Will Wise
Customer Relations & Technical Services
Armstrong World Industries, Inc.
Phone: 800-233-3823
Fax: 717-396-4270

This message may contain confidential and legally privileged information and is only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify us by return e-mail immediately.